Question for the coffee junkies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Boil up your kettle over the fire, take off heat, add in coarse grind coffee (suitable for cafitiere jugs), stir, return to heat until it froths up, remove from heat, leave to stand for 5 minutes, serve (pour carefully so not to shake up the grounds), leave cup to stand still 5 minutes before drinking.

In the north of Sweden they do it similarly. The difference being they do the heating 'til frothing 3 times in a quick session (just take it off the heat quickly and let the froth go down) before leaving it for 5 minutes (in the pot).

/ Karl

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi I just came from a camping store and bought a very cheap, small and flat packing reusable coffee filter.

I like the idea of just putting the coffee in the pot and boiling it with the water. I remember some greek restaurant we sometimes go to makes very tasty coffee this way. But since I really don't like any stuff in my coffee, the idea is to make the coffee that way and then simply filter it when poring into the cup.

By the way does anybody have experience with boiling the coffee or thee directly in an aluminum kettle. Will this ruin the kettle, leaving it unusable for say boiling water for a cup of soup, or some noodles.....

Oh yes I know the noodles are for childerns bushcraft camps, but I just love the way the hot stuff makes my nose run.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I sue the smartcafe coffee mugs -actually use them at home and and work and in the woods - work really well - not too heavy and is my one cup for everything!
Yes, I use one of those when I'm out and about too - light weight, easy to use, easy to clean. I always take one when I'm working away from home too, so much better than those disgusting little sachets of brown stuff you get in hotel rooms :yuck:
Nicola

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Boil it in a tin, when done, sprinkle a dab of cold water into the mix. This settles the grounds, pour slowly - viola! Bush coffee.

Cheers,
D

PS...just joined BC....I like it so far..!

I have tried this and it works great...

jameshs

Oct 23, 2007
London
I sue the smartcafe coffee mugs -actually use them at home and and work and in the woods - work really well - not too heavy and is my one cup for everything!

I used one of these recently - it was OK but the filter does not fit snugly so it is a bit gritty - but did the job!!

James

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I used one of these recently - it was OK but the filter does not fit snugly so it is a bit gritty - but did the job!!

James

strange - ive used them for the last couple of years and Ive been through 4 of them (the on that lives at work gets a lot of abuse :headbang:) and I have had no problem at all with them - one thing I would say is to make sure you don't fill it too near to the very top as some liquid and grinds come over the top of the plunger and can create gritty coffee. But I wouldn't be without mine.

G

Gripper

I use coffee bags most of the time if not drinking tea and on an extended trip it is the coffee press attachment for the JetBoil.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE