Question for the coffee junkies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a way to make fresh coffie when I'm out there. At the moment I use an italian coffie maker, but this is quite bulky....

Any tips on smaller solutions ?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The lightest around is a swissgold filter. I really like them for a single cup as they don't boil the coffee like a pot or need paper like the aeropress. Also useful for filtering water in a push prior to boiling - excellent piece of equipment

17199coffee_manualdrip.jpg

Works just as well as a tea strainer for leaf tea made in the Billy can too

Red

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
The Finnish way is to make "pannukahvi", literally pan-coffee.

Boil up your kettle over the fire, take off heat, add in coarse grind coffee (suitable for cafitiere jugs), stir, return to heat until it froths up, remove from heat, leave to stand for 5 minutes, serve (pour carefully so not to shake up the grounds), leave cup to stand still 5 minutes before drinking.

This makes excellent tasting coffee, better than a filter coffee machine, so much so that some people will make it this way at home too.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I use a cloth home made coffee bag with a draw string, its just cotton, crush up my coffee beans and put in my crusader cup or thermal mug and add my hot water to that... works really well for me... no mud no crud... just coffee... & easy to maintain...

Cheers...
Karl...

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
There are some aluminium percolators around for one cup. How about posting a pic of your device?

OK so this is a picture of the device I use now:

ver_perc_l.jpg

The advantage is that it boils the water before the coffee is made, so you can easily make coffee from water collected from nature. The downside is it is quite bulky.

I think this is the same sort of device you were talking about.

Like the solution Red posted.... Is this usable with an crusader mug?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Might be a bit small for a crusader - works well with a basic small metal mug though - I'll have a try later on a crusader

Red

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The Finnish way is to make "pannukahvi", literally pan-coffee.

Boil up your kettle over the fire, take off heat, add in coarse grind coffee (suitable for cafitiere jugs), stir, return to heat until it froths up, remove from heat, leave to stand for 5 minutes, serve (pour carefully so not to shake up the grounds), leave cup to stand still 5 minutes before drinking.

This makes excellent tasting coffee, better than a filter coffee machine, so much so that some people will make it this way at home too.

I use the same method and this pot to boil it in (in the wild that is, home I have a coffe pot).

Kokekar_(hermetikkboks).jpg

It is not necessary to complicate things:) .

Tor

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Echo susis and tor H:s method. But try this for a change; chuck in a few rinsed egg shells (from the breakfast) with the coffe. Takes the edge of the acidity and makes the taste a bit rounder.

The classic way of testing if the coffe is strong enough is to put a horse shoe in the pot, if it sinks, the coffe is not strong enough.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Coffee bags.:D

Very light, take up almost no room, foil sealed individually so won't get damp/leak over your bag.

They come in a variety of strengths to suit your taste.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hmmmm Coffee bags seem ideal, am I to think of something similar to tea bags?

Don't think they are available here in holland though. Might be worth trying to get some emty teabags, and filling them with coffee myself......

Sounds like a great lightweight idea!

Thanks for that one. Will be giving that a try.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Here in the U S, some companies are selling coffee sewn up in that clothe filter - for your Drip coffee makers. Just take one ... bag/pouch ... put it in your drip coffee maker, add water and let it run. No fussing around with filter papers and measuring out just the right amount of coffee from the can.

I have a number of friends that just take those bags/pouches along when camping. Fill the pot with water, get it to boiling, and add that one bag/pouch.

And a few years ago, they started to market individual one-cup bags/pouches - like you would with tea bags. Toss a small bag in your cup and add hot water. Then let it set as strong as you want it to get. A lot of people like them in an office. You only make one cup at a time. And EVERYBODY has to make their own instead of waiting/craving until somebody else finally does the work to make up a fresh pot of coffee - and then the "stampede" to the pot!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Have a look in your nearest big supermarket. I'd be surprised if you don't have them in Holland.

If you have no luck there is always this option.

Lyons coffee bags by post

We dont get REAL COFFEE in Holland ;)

Coffee over here is either coffee grounds in a filter coffee machine (loose)
Senseo which is a coffee bag but I think you need pressure to get the coffee out! its not the same as a coffee bag in the UK!!

Mmmm going to go test out a senseo bag on the boil do it the cowboy way!

We are not so sofisticated!! as the mainland ;)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
"The Finnish way is to make "pannukahvi", literally pan-coffee.

This makes excellent tasting coffee, better than a filter coffee machine, so much so that some people will make it this way at home too."

Thats exactly what I do and people have commented on how good it is (usually with a surprised expression) with a little practice you can make a lovely brew with minimum/no extra kit
give it a go

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think there's some sort of press attachment you can get that converts a one litre nalgene bottle to a cafetiere. Aerobie coffee press are good though - I have one of those at work.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I add a pinch of salt to my coffee, supposedly the Saami way. I once made the perfect coffee in this way, it tasted like chocolate! never got it quite like that again!

No idea if salt is a good idea or not, but it makes sense to replace salts you lose through sweating when bimbling about with a pack on. Doesn't alter the taste enough to tell.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Boil it in a tin, when done, sprinkle a dab of cold water into the mix. This settles the grounds, pour slowly - viola! Bush coffee.

Cheers,
D

PS...just joined BC....I like it so far..!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE