Question about spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Flecktarnbiker

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2013
Hampshire
Hi all
Sorr if this has been answered somewhere else but if it has then i cant find it. Anyway i was thinking of carving a simple spoon to use with my mess kits when out about and i was thinking of using sycamore. I already know how to carve it but when ive finished the spoon do i use it straight away or do i treat/ put something on it?
Any help will be really appreciated
Fleck

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its a pure personal choice thing.

You can use them either way. If you don't want the spoon to stain though and have a little water repellency, using some food safe oil is a good idea. :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
If the wood is fresh, put in a paper bag in a cupboard for a week,to dry slowly. Should re okay then.Walnut or boiled linseed oil will seal it Hope this helps.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
THanks for the help! i think ill leave it natural for now although might use oil next time. Would olive oil or sunflower oil work?

Personally, I'd stick with oils that harden. Normal food fats can go rancid.

Walnut, Tung, Linseed to name a few are all drying oils and food safe. :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dont use boiled linseed oil it's full of all nasty chemicals, you want raw Linseed oil, walnut oil is good, personally i use pure Tung oil or just leave the spoon un oiled, olive & veg oil can also be used to oil spoons but can turn rancid.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
hey bud i'm new to spoon carving i've carved four spoons now two i've used walnut oil as per my pics with no probs.The other two with olive oil and they turned yellow for some reason so i'm sticking to walnut oil.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The only downside to walnut oil (and it is what i tend to use) is you need to be aware that it makes the spoon unsuited to people with nut allergies. Worth bearing in mind if you are passing the spoon on to someone else.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I got a good tip from somewhere (probably on this site!) about how to get a really smooth finish on the spoon bowl; if you sand it, then wet it so the fibres stand up or something, then sand it again, it goes really smooth and is comfy in the mouth.

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Dont use boiled linseed oil it's full of all nasty chemicals, you want raw Linseed oil, walnut oil is good, personally i use pure Tung oil or just leave the spoon un oiled, olive & veg oil can also be used to oil spoons but can turn rancid.
Kepis, I hope you mean raw cold pressed oil from food shops or agricultural feed stores and not raw linseed from the hardware store. As far as know that oil also contains heavy metal or nasty dryers and should not be used for anything to do with food utensils. Raw untreated linseed oil unless sunbleached for months takes up to 3 months to dry. It is the only stuff I use.
Personally I never bother with oiling spoons unless for sale so they do not get so dirty by people handling them. I make them and use them, make them thin enough and they will just dry out fine without keeping them in a bag etc.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Kepis, I hope you mean raw cold pressed oil from food shops or agricultural feed stores and not raw linseed from the hardware store..

Exactly that Sean, sorry, i should have been more specific, i used to buy it as Flax Seed Oil from the Health food shop, but moved over to using Pure Tung Oil ages ago on cost grounds and have stuck with Tung ever since.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
High Barns oils is in the south east and 5 litres is 24 quid, this is stuff for horse feed, same as the food grade stuff but is taken from lower down the tank so is not so clear.

Always the way isn't it Sean, these people are 30 minutes from where i live and i don't think ive ever heard of them being mentioned locally.

I'll give then a shout next time i need to stock up with some oil or if im passing, i'll give them a ring and see if i can pop in and get some.

Thanks for the heads up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE