Quail prep

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Would anybody be interested in a short talk on keeping quails and a field prep? I can bring about eight (pre culled) birds, but they’d need to be £5.00 a bird as that’s what it’s going to cost me to buy them. I don’t have enough of my own so I’m having to buy them in. They are very simple to pluck, process and cook, it would be easy for children as well. I will also bring lots of eggs :) if there is more interest than eight birds, I’ll get more, but I have to know by tomorrow.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Would anybody be interested in a short talk on keeping quails and a field prep? I can bring about eight (pre culled) birds, but they’d need to be £5.00 a bird as that’s what it’s going to cost me to buy them. I don’t have enough of my own so I’m having to buy them in. They are very simple to pluck, process and cook, it would be easy for children as well. I will also bring lots of eggs :) if there is more interest than eight birds, I’ll get more, but I have to know by tomorrow.

Hi firecrest, good to see you on the forum :)

I'd be happy to take a brace from you and see how you pluck them (it always takes me an age!) but I'm only down for the first four days of the first week; when are you going over.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd be happy to take a brace from you and see how you pluck them (it always takes me an age!) but I'm only down for the first four days of the first week; when are you going over.

Lindsey's arriving on the Friday and staying for the core days so timing might be a bit off for you

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thanks yes, I’m done for the core days. I can buy more then eight but it’s not the cheapest place I’ve come across (just happens to be nearest) so I didn’t want to spend more than £40-£50

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ahh, missed this, I'd have said to bring them and we'll create a workshop! If it's not to late bring 8, if it is, no worries, be great to just have you!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Good to hear from you Tony! I’m looking forward to being there. Can birds be plucked ok if I freeze them first?

I have got hold of seven male quail, all unfortunately a bit bald, though they are now currently in a big grassy wild garden, complete with a nettle patch, living their best life, but I’m better bringing them down culled first I think.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Good to hear from you Tony! I’m looking forward to being there. Can birds be plucked ok if I freeze them first?

A freshly killed quail will easily last a week without freezing (kept refrigerated of course) - though, in the past they wouldn't even have been chilled. I have always found birds much harder to pluck if they have been in the freezer. So, my suggestion would be, kill them just before you leave and put them in a cool box/bag.

I'm really disappointed I'll not get to eat any :(

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
43D3194E-70F9-4BFC-A7CE-538EC9E8906A.jpeg Sorry you won’t be there , Broch, and thanks for the advice, all mine have been processed immediately so I wasn’t sure. I’ll bring the egg pan too if I remember , and eggs!

Reactions: Broch and Lou

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
View attachment 54809 Sorry you won’t be there , Broch, and thanks for the advice, all mine have been processed immediately so I wasn’t sure. I’ll bring the egg pan too if I remember , and eggs!

That’s a brilliant picture, oh for two more eggs! I know nothing about quails, you say they’re in a big garden. Do you need to house and feed them, or protect them in a pen like hens? Or do they just mooch about?

Ah, had a quick search. They’re kept much as hens are, and they need to be rat proofed. They’re nice little birds, I’d love some but having a couple of terriers makes things a bit iffy.

Last edited:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
That’s a brilliant picture, oh for two more eggs! I know nothing about quails, you say they’re in a big garden. Do you need to house and feed them, or protect them in a pen like hens? Or do they just mooch about?

Ah, had a quick search. They’re kept much as hens are, and they need to be rat proofed. They’re nice little birds, I’d love some but having a couple of terriers makes things a bit iffy.

A6949010-4046-4797-80D5-673D8E418596.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Well they are in a big chicken run, but there’s not been chickens in it for years so it’s completely overgrown.

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE