Pyrography

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi,
Has anyone ever tried pyrography (burning designs into wood). I would like to decorate a possibles box but don't want to use an electric soldering iron which seems to be the common way. I was wondering how to do it and what to use. Any help appreciated.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
IIRC hobbycraft do a starter kit. Basically a soldering iron with a point. Traditionally a selection of hot pokers and some heatproof gloves. :)

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Probably not the info you're looking for but I used to do a very crude form of that as a kid in the summer with a magnifying glass :D The best I did was a flower and a big sign with my name on it. And now you've reminded me of it I'm going to be trying it again this summer :)
Would take a lot of practise and it's got to be sunny but it works. Kind of.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Heat up a four inch nail and use that :D
Six inches might be better, it is long enough to give you room for a pair of pliers or tongs to grip the hot metal, but it'll cool down more quickly. I've done it on an electric cooker, a campfire and using a blowtorch. I'm told that one of the very hot lighters will successfully heat the nail too. I found a phosphor bronze one worked easiest but standard iron or steel ones are more easily available.

Switch's idea sounds more fun though :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
You could always try using something like a nail or piece of fence wire heated in the fire if you want to avoid using the soldering iron type tools for this. A heated wire does not stay hot for very long so will need heating repeatedly to work, but it can be bent to all manner of shapes to effectively brand the wood with rather than trying to repeat a design by hand with just a pointed tool.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Depending on what design you had in mind you could try a variation on Longstriders idea and cut shapes from an aluminium soft drinks can use them as masks and scorch the exposed wood with a gas torch. Also a light rub down with 0000 steel wool over a burned area to vary shading and highlight the wood grain.
Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE