Puukko Knife Video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Stew said:
Pete,
You do make a fair point if it was being done just for fun, without choosing a tree that was about to be removed anyway.
In this context, it's an acceptable thing to do, in my opinion.

Stew

I think it would have been easier to stick the blade in a vice , put a piece of pipe on the end and swing on it, it would have had much the same effect.
It would either bend or break which is the same answer as I think they were looking for.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
bothyman said:
Stew

I think it would have been easier to stick the blade in a vice , put a piece of pipe on the end and swing on it, it would have had much the same effect.
It would either bend or break which is the same answer as I think they were looking for.

Fair point.

I would like a way to see the difference between the people that really want to live on an every day basis as 'close to nature' as they can and those that find that unrealistic and can only really do it at weekends though.
Does that sound elitist? I hope not!

Most of us have to work for a living. Anyway I had to put off my retirement and sell my land in order to raise grand-kids. Soon my time comes though and I'll be most of my time in the outdoors.
Some people dream of the outdoors because they're running away from something in their lives, and that of course never works out. For some of us, though, what we want is there. Most of my hobbies involve the outdoors in some way - and that's why I live where I do. That die was cast long ago when I got my degrees in geology and zoology.
But anyway - ask away. You may not want to, because for me, living the outdoors involves things like cutting trees, hunting and fishing. Pretty old fashioned stuff! At the same time I'd ask you to consider your global footprint. It may well be that you consume far more of this earth's resources than I do with the way I do things.

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
If I'm geting a little off-topic, please pardon me. It seems to me that the impacts we have on the wild areas vary significantly depending on the region. In Jimbo's case, he lives in a very lush, fertile, wet climate. Downed trees, tree stumps, impacts by man do not last a long time. Where I live (Front Range of the Rocky Mountains), it is much drier, more sparsely vegetated and less fertile. Stumps are still visible from trees cut 80 years ago (to try and stop a forest fire). Roads are not overgrown nearly as fast. Structures last longer. The impacts of man do not vanish overnight. I'd feel a lot better about cutting trees in B.C. than my area. I practice "leave no trace" in Colorado.
Steve

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Blimey gents.

Lets all get a grip here. This knife was driven into a trunk of an overstood hazel stool. This piece of woodland was in my charge and have been managing it for many years and this acre was due for coppicing the following month, this particular rack of hazel was last coppiced in the early 60's.

I think the lack of understanding demonstrated by the 'concern for the tree' is slightly misguided. It would be interesting to see how many people in the 'concerned' camp make sure that the charcoal that they use is made in this country and do they make sure that all of their wood products in their houses come from the UK.

The point being, by buying wood products from abroad we are looking after other peoples woodlands at the expense of our own. The guys responsible for that video have done more to promote the understanding of our woodlands than most people I know.

Think we all should remember to look at the bigger picture here.

Jack.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Jack said:
The guys responsible for that video have done more to promote the understanding of our woodlands than most people I know.

Think we all should remember to look at the bigger picture here.

Jack.

Well said ,i actually found the video very interesting.

rb

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Marts said:
Jack - what I really want to know is...

Did you ever manage to get the knife out? :)

Hi Marts.

Yes we did, just knocked the knive from side to side and worked it back of the hazel and Roving Rich rehandled it!

......................come to think of it, I have never seen it since.................Rich?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos

well surprisingly no. the other side of the test as i remember, was partly to validate the test itself. as already pointed out, mors kochanski is a well respected long time bushcrafter, why would he have need of, or suggest such a test. it's much more complicated and subtil than you'd think.

you can get big burly survival knives that will easily support a big guy's weight. but try hammering one 4cms into a tree at ninety degrees to the grain. it's almost impossible.

perhaps this test defines the optimum compromise between a rough tough prybar style knife and a slender razor sharp slicer eh? ;) :cool:

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE