Puukko Knife Video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey-Baby

May 9, 2005
Macclesfield
Hi ive just got myself a lapp puukko knife and i was searching the forums for peoples reviews etc (i decided to get one after the review on the main page) but the search mainly found things about a video of one being hammered into a tree and so forth. I was just wondering if anyone could re-post the video or E-mail it me because all the old links dont seem to work. Cheers Mikey :)

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
For server space / bandwidth issues, I think the video was hosted somewhere else originally...
Now we have this big fast server we can put it on here, no problems.... just where is it? ;)

Hmmm... Tone?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
the test comes from a book by Mr *insert name I can't spell here*

He says that a bushcraft knife should be strong enough for you to hammer it 4cm into a tree and then stand on it. Since a lot of people are concerned about the strength of a stick tang some people here decided to put one to the test.

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Treb said:
Hmmm, hammering a knife into a tree. Is it just me or do more people fail to see the bushcraft in that?
I'm with you on that one! I think a lot of people are missing the point here!
I thought it was all about living 'with' nature, not just having fun at its expense!
pete

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Andy said:
the test comes from a book by Mr *insert name I can't spell here*

He says that a bush craft knife should be strong enough for you to hammer it 4cm into a tree and then stand on it. Since a lot of people are concerned about the strength of a stick tang some people here decided to put one to the test.
That sounds like a survival sort of an angle rather than a bush craft one?
Pete

Mors is probably one of the oldest and most accomplished bushcrafters and primitive skills people around, It was the fact that he only uses a Mora that made people curious about his statement about knives. That and the fact that most people didn't believe that a stick tang really is strong enough to take that.

I can certainly remove the links here if people are offended... You have to be understanding of where I live and that I spend a lot of time clearing trails. So it simply never occurred to me that people would be upset.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
OldJimbo, don't worry about it, those that aren’t interested shouldn't bother watching it.

The tree was going to be cut down and the knife's strength was in question from those that use full tang knives....it answered some questions for a lot of people.

This is now two years old and all this conversation has gone on before, it’s interesting to some and not to others….

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Greenpete said:
I thought it was all about living 'with' nature, not just having fun at its expense!
pete

Hello Pete.

I'm with you on that one.

Maybe we need another section called "The good old ways" or something. :rolleyes:

Why would someone want to hammer a knife into a tree, what has the Tree done to deserve that?? or that knife for that matter??

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
bothyman said:
Hello Pete.

I'm with you on that one.

Maybe we need another section called "The good old ways" or something. :rolleyes:
Why would someone want to hammer a knife into a tree, what has the Tree done to deserve that?? or that knife for that matter??

Hi Mick!
I like that ! Though it reminds me of a quote a friend of mine used to give every time someone said 'the good old days' "Ah! The good old days of rickets and scurvy!" He would say! Prompting the question, were they as good as we like to think?
I would like a way to see the difference between the people that really want to live on an every day basis as 'close to nature' as they can and those that find that unrealistic and can only really do it at weekends though.
Does that sound elitist? I hope not!
Pete

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I am not sure I understand the objection some people have to the video.

Every new product has to be tested to the point of failure to determine where its weaknesses lay. It's called destruction testing and is industry standard no matter what you are manufacturing. (Why do we have crash tests for cars??)

Every so often the test needs to be repeated with one product selected at random from stock to ensure that the quality control is doing its job. Knife makers routinely snap one of there blades in a vise to check the grain structure.

In this video we were attempting to test the suitablity of the knife for bushcraft after mainy people had aired the view that a stick tang was not strong enough for bushcraft.

As there is no industry standard test for bushcraft we found the next best thing, a description in the book 'Northern Bushcraft' By Mors Kochanski which says:

"As a test of strength, a good knife should not break when driven 4cm into a standing tree at right angles to the grain, and the handle bears your weight as you stand on it."

If you are manufacturing or reviewing a product which people may later come to depend on it is your responsiblity to ensure that it will not fail them even when put to unreasonable use.

As for the damage to the tree in the video, we specifically chose a tree in Dorset that was about to be cut down with a chainsaw for coppicing.

The video proved as best we could that it was unreasonable to argue that a well made stick tang knife could not be suitable for bushcraft.

If such tests were not undertaken then manufacturers would not know what problems needed to be resolved with their products and quality could not be ensured to the customer.

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Stuart said:
I am not sure I understand the objection some people have to the video.

Every new product has to be tested to the point of failure to determine where its weaknesses lay. It's called destruction testing and is industry standard no matter what you are manufacturing. (Why do we have crash tests for cars??)

Every so often the test needs to be repeated with one product selected at random from stock to ensure that the quality control is doing its job. Knife makers routinely snap one of there blades in a vise to check the grain structure.

In this video we were attempting to test the suitablity of the knife for bushcraft after mainy people had aired the view that a stick tang was not strong enough for bushcraft.

As there is no industry standard test for bushcraft we found the next best thing, a description in the book 'Northern Bushcraft' By Mors Kochanski which says:

"As a test of strength, a good knife should not break when driven 4cm into a standing tree at right angles to the grain, and the handle bears your weight as you stand on it."

If you are manufacturing or reviewing a product which people may later come to depend on it is your responsibility to ensure that it will not fail them even when put to unreasonable use.

As for the damage to the tree in the video, we specifically chose a tree in Dorset that was about to be cut down with a chainsaw for coppicing.

The video proved as best we could that it was unreasonable to argue that a well made stick tang knife could not be suitable for bushcraft.

If such tests were not undertaken then manufacturers would not know what problems needed to be resolved with their products and quality could not be ensured to the customer.
Mmmm.... I see your point. It can come over as a bit gung hoe though! I think I can safely say that I wouldn't use my knife to do such a thing (unless absolutely desperate in which case you might be prepared to sacrifice your knife) but I still know that it is a good knife well up to the job it's intended for.
I must also admit that I haven't seen the video. :( So maybe I should wind my neck in?!
Pete ;)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Greenpete said:
Hi Mick!
"Ah! The good old days of rickets and scurvy!"

I would like a way to see the difference between the people that really want to live on an every day basis as 'close to nature' as they can and those that find that unrealistic and can only really do it at weekends though.
Pete

Hello Pete

Ooh, I never got rickets and scurvy what was it like?? :confused:

The answer to the second one is "We each choose our own reality"

Some People want a nice house and a shiny 4x4 , then want to try and escape from it for the weekend, that is the way they see their reality.

Don't you wish you were "Domesticated" too ;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Pete,

You do make a fair point if it was being done just for fun, without choosing a tree that was about to be removed anyway.

In this context, it's an acceptable thing to do, in my opinion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE