Putting some kit together!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Right then. Want to put some kit together. Thinking a new knife, paracord,magnesium/steel, some type or tarp/canopy(but small enough to pack up,kind of a two man thing) I have got some good cooking equipment so thats sorted! What else would you reccomend? Would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks are essential. Tim.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Bivvy bag/blanket or hammock maybe ?

Torch/Lantern ?

Folding saw ?

You don't need much as long as you get out there and enjoy it.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Note book and pencil to make a list, while you're out there, of the additional items you will take next time you go. Chances are you won't remember them all when you get back, but once you get a kit routine going the problem resolves itself and you'll know what you consider to be 'essential'...to you. :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Right then. Want to put some kit together. Thinking a new knife, paracord,magnesium/steel, some type or tarp/canopy(but small enough to pack up,kind of a two man thing) I have got some good cooking equipment so thats sorted! What else would you reccomend? Would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks are essential.

It kind of depends a bit on where you're going, what time of year, how you're going to get there, how long you think it will take, who you're going with, the experience of the parties, what you're going to do on the way, what you're going to do when you get there. Not to mention how far you'll be from the niceties of civilization such as running water and medical care. You might want to consider the proximity of war zones. And you might want to come back...

If we're talking essentials, I think the first essential is a plan. :)

Thanks guys. I have all the clothing,good sleeping bag and a good stove,kind of took those as a given. An axe would be a good tool for me to get though. I have heard good stuff about the Husky stuff and the Garnfsors stuff. What are you lot using? Thanks, Tim.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
well tim in regards axes in my opinion and it is just that opinion there is not better an axe than gransfor bruks small forest axe which as u might all ready know is a jack of all trades master of none and yes i do have one i love it

drew

i am going to be controversial here.
axes arent vital pieces of kit here in the uk, a good folding saw will furnish you with plenty of fire wood(if you find somewhere you can have an open fire) and also not do so much damage to yourself if you are inexperienced with them.
on saying that i have a gransfors bruk mini hatchet and gransfors bruck wildlife hatchet and both are good bits of kit.
Sam

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i am going to be controversial here.
axes arent vital pieces of kit here in the uk, a good folding saw will furnish you with plenty of fire wood(if you find somewhere you can have an open fire) and also not do so much damage to yourself if you are inexperienced with them.
on saying that i have a gransfors bruk mini hatchet and gransfors bruck wildlife hatchet and both are good bits of kit.
Sam

ill second that in UK folding saw and knife will cover what you need although i have a GB SFA too but its rare i use it since picking up a couple of bahco folding saws

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
A kit for what? Essential for what? :)

For me to get the most out of living in nature, i bring a basis belt.

Basis_belt_02.jpg

Basis_belt_01.jpg

Basis_belt.jpg

Pouch 1:
Cocking tins
Coffey
Instant food
wax newspaper rolls (firestarters)
Folding spoon
Firekit (tincan, tindersponge, maches, flint, magnesium)

Pouch 2:
Cortage, sisal or hemp
Head touch red/clear
Sharpner
Whistle
compas
Wire
DuckTape
Monoscope
Repairkit R (neatles, plastic&wollen string, bottons, saftetypins, soft wax, hard wax, fabric, sisscors, leather cord)
Fishinggear R
GPS T
Spot T
Ligther O
Batteries O

R = Recreational, T = Tactical, O = Optional (depenten)

Canteen

Knife

Multitool

For extended trips out of camp i also bring a poncho, fits in cargo pocket, and a small first aid kit, fits in front pocket.

For camp i bring a small backpack with an isolationmat, sleeping back, extended firstaid and hygine products, extra/dry inner (sleeping) clotches and food.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE