Basic kit hit-list?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My question would be what is the best essential starter list of kit I'll need? I was wanting a decent but not extortionately priced 2/3 man tent that's waterproof. Aside from that, what else would you recommend on a reasonable budget?

It did seem to escalate quite quickly.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I bet there's enough gear stowed away in members houses that never gets used, enough to offer the OP as a gift. Well done @Nice65 for offering a knife.

I will send him a bacho laplander that will see him good for a few years, so there's two things.... c'mon peeps, it's nearly Christmas!

PM me @welsh79

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Now, that's a brilliant idea. I'm sure - no, I know that I've got a whole load of bits and bobs that would help out someone starting out into the outdoors.

Reactions: Bishop

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My wife actively sort out and gave our girls knives, when they were aged 2 and 3 years (last year), my now 4 year old can feather stick and light fires with a fire steel consistently. Very proud :)
All my children have been given very basic kit over several years. Starting with small SAK’s then ss mug & pot then as they became more adept I upgraded from chicken feather filled surplus army/Coleman sleeping bags to Alpkit down filled items. Now they’re growed’ up they understand quality and can make their own choices.
S

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It's absolutely sensible to look at very cheap stuff for children.
Cheap steel mugs for example are often very thin and rather small and that means, that they are very light, nearly as light as titanium mugs.
The cheapest clothing is often very light because they saved material costs. And if they grow out of it anyway faster than they can wear it off it's no fault to get that if you will spend the time with them.
For boy scout camps it's different of course, because they can't reach a replacement if needed.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
In that video he has a brilliant idea for a cheap billy.
Greencraft on Youtube has a really good series of Bushcraft on a budget videos. The clothing video is really good I have already bought the bamboo socks he recommends.
The big problem is as he says a lot of what he recommends is hard to get hold of or expensive due to that.

Reactions: TeeDee

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Winter weekends, we "camped" in the lounge room. "Living Room" to me and my kids. Up go the tents, in go the sleeping bags and mats. Dad gets an extra cushion layer.
1. You can used the bathroom. No grid lights, torches only.
2. All cooking will be done on camp stoves but in the kitchen (less flammable.)
3. Somehow, the torch lights for reading books never went dim. Funny that.
4. They did bacon, eggs and shredded potato. Eat your own or starve.
5. What did we need? What could have been left behind?
= = =
End of school at the end of June. A camping trip with a little trout fishing. The kids knew exactly what to do for the camp. Was satisfying to watch. Jeez! If I got down on my knees again like that, I might never stand up again.
== =
So, I suggest a bunch of indoor, lounge camping events to sort out the kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE