Purple colour on blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WolfGang

Aug 25, 2009
New Zealand
So i had a green branch of a pohutukawa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosideros_excelsa) which i decided to saw into smaller round for general use, this was fine until i took my Clipper (carbon) to remove the bark and a coating of purple was left on the blade only, not the wood and it hadn't happened to my saw either.

i had sharpened it the other day so it had a reasonable fresh coat of Camellia Oil on it which i guess reacted to something in the sap

anyone else had a similar experience?

on a side note not to worried about my blade it already has a good patina on it and now it has a somewhat purple colour on it now :p

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Carbon steel will stain a whole range of colours depending on what goes on it, you can clean it off if you like with things like stropping compound or you can just leave it on to form a patina which can help to offer some protection to the blade.
My main user has been stained so many times that the steel is a dark grey colour now, I don't bother cleaning it off

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
chances are the tree has tanin in the wood which reacts with steel to give the stain. It's not a problem, cleans off easy enough with a bit of mild abrasive/stropping compound such as autosol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE