Pumpkins, squashs and assorted marrowy type vegetables

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really ought to know better, but every year I am beguiled by the appeal of Autumnal cheeriness that is the assortment of squashes, etc., and while they are available in their multi coloured and shaped glory, I buy a few.
Every year I end up feeding the seeds to the birds and most of the pumpkiny stuff to the worms in my compost heap.

Butternut squash I quite like in soup, but no one else in the household does. They like pie for pudding, I'm not fond. They don't much rate pumpkin pie. It's bland sweetness doesn't appeal to them.

I've just thrown the last of the pumpkin to the worms, and the seeds to the birds (I don't like them oil roasted, too greasy too heartburn making) and I can't be bothered drying them out, cracking them, then boiling them to seperate them from their skins, and then drying them again, to make the kind that I can bake with; when to be honest, I know how it's done, and if need comes to shove I can do it, but they cost pennies to buy, and there's not exactly a lot in one wee pumpkin anyway, and the birds do relish them.

So, after all that :D :eek:, I still have three squashy things to use up.

To be honest, I'm scunnered with them. I just can't be bothered. Does anyone have any really good recipes that I might enjoy ?
We're (mostly, Himself eats meat) vegetarian, but that's the only caveat. Everything else I can work around.

atb,
Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
1. Cut a squash in half and clean it out. Bake cut side down at 375F in 1/4" water until tender. Out and up again, shred the flesh & season as you wish. Back in the oven 300F to heat through.
2. Using one of our typical Hallowe'en orange pumpkins, clean out and cut into large slabs. Score about 1" intervals, criss-cross. Rub well with butter and brown sugar, heavy sprinkles of cinnamon. Bake at 350F until tender.
3. Soak the pumpkin seeds in 1C water +1tbs salt for an hour. Roast 350F dry (no oil) on a sheet until you see a few them begin to brown. The shells are so thin, eat it all.
= = =
2 & 3 have been kid tested and kid approved since they had teeth.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I grew up on squash, prepared in different ways. Sometimes as the main ingredient other times as a dessert, or as a condiment.
Both of my grandmothers used seed as a roasted treat and also as a medicine (urinary discomfort if I remember correctly).
We use a variety that we call spaghetti squash, with our own sauce fantastic.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I just noticed that I forgot to include pumpkins also used in similar fashion.
Maybe not germain but we also use cranberries again in multiple forms and uses.
All are used for holidays, fresh and as preserves.
Pumpkins/squash, corn and beans are called the 3 sisters as the are grown in conjunction with each other.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't tried this recipe but it looks good, and more importantly, it satisfies the carnivore need:

SAUSAGE STUFFED BUTTERNUT SQUASH

1 butternut squash (cut in half)
1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
3 slices bread, cubed
1 egg, well beaten
1 sm. onion
Garlic
1/8 - 1/4 c. parsley

Place squash cut side down in greased shallow baking dish. Bake 350 degrees for 40-60 minutes until squash is easily pierced.Meanwhile, remove sausage from casing and fry until brown and crumbly. Add onion and garlic and continue sauteing until onions are soft. Stir in egg, parsley and bread. Remove from heat. Scoop seeds from squash. Remove squash meat and add to sausage mixture. Replace in shell. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes until top is golden brown.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Cannot believe that no one has yet suggested Hugh FWs roast butternut squash, cut into chunks and roast with seasoning, garlic and a little oil, eat with grated cheese, chilli and racket in a wrap. Utterly delicious.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's what I tried to make last night with the last of the pumpkin……well, it was food, it was edible, just not quite what I'd hoped for, and it was pretty heavy on the fats.

Best I found was roasting it with a couple of tablespoonsful of good oil and two teaspoonsful of garam masla. Stirred it all around and then turned it into a curry :D
Just have to mind not to overcook it into mush though.

Does spaghetti squash resemble spaghetti when cooked ? I tried the zucchini shredded in long julienne strips and it was okay. Very low carb :) not a lot of taste though. Needs good sauce.

Marrow and ginger jam is a good thing :)

Cheers,
M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Marrow stuffed with good old sage & onion is excellent. I think it'd be nice stuffed with skirlie but I haven't tried it yet.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Spaghetti squash looks more like angel hair pasta, Toddy you would indeed like it very much.
Our spaghetti sauce is the best :), it takes at least 4-5 hrs to make even slower if time is allowed.
As with all slow cooked foods it taste excellent fresh from the pot(we call it green sauce) but after cooling off it taste even better the next day(we call it red sauce).
Now I'm famished and will make another pot this week if time allows, we make about 4 gallons at a time, it goes in a week or so in our family and friends.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Oh yes Toddy our sauce has no meat in it, we add some if it comes to mind as we need, but 99% of the time no meat just great taste.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sounds like good, tasty, everyday food when you describe it :)
I might see if I can find an spaghetti squash. I must admit I have been wondering if the ones I bought were really ever meant to be particularly edible or just decorative in Autumn/harvest festival/hallowe'en type things :dunno:
Not much taste at all to them, it all needed added. Even marrows have some taste.

I do like pumpkin seeds, but wasn't enamoured of Jamie Oliver's roasted ones. Too greasy.

Marrow stuffed with skirlie might be very good indeed :D Might try that with the butternut squash I still have.

Good Housekeeping suggests slicing up peeled and deseeded marrows and flouring the slices before deep frying them…..might work with pumpkin/squash too.

I have a butternut, a mini pumpkin coloured one and a green and yellow striped one left to use up. I will say they keep well though, and easier than storing tatties or carrots/parsnips/onions/neeps too.

Thanks for the ideas :D
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maybe not gluten free though ? Gluten free bread is dire, it really is, even the best of it isn't good bread.
Could maybe try it in real bread for HWMBLT though :)

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was looking through some pumpkin recipes for you Toddy, though most were variations on the stuffed kind. Did find something that I've not done in a while but will be doing later in the week now I've minded it.
Whole Baked Cauliflower.
1 head cauliflower
4 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, zested & juiced
1 tbsp cumin
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground corriander
2 tsp salt
Half tsp fresh ground black pepper
Quarter cup (1 ounce) fresh grated parmesan

Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C & lightly grease a small baking sheet.
Remove green leaves from cauliflower & trim off hard stalk (set that aside for stock or sauces).
In a bowl mix together the oil, lemon zest & juice, cumin, garlic powder, corriander, salt & pepper.
With a brush or hand spread it evenly over the cauliflower head. (any left over will keep for a few days in the fridge).
Place the baking sheet with the marinated cauliflower in the oven 'till it is lightly browned & dry. (About 30 - 40 minutes)
At this point you can either pop the parmesan on and cook for another 5 minutes or serve it and allow folks to put their own on at the table.
Allow the cauliflower to cool for 5-10 minutes then cut into slices. Nice as a starter or part of a main.

Sorry it's not a squash recipe, just with it being so miserably driech out there I thought that this would cheer you and warm you. Nice different thing to normal cauli-cheese recipes and looks pretty stunning on the table. (sorry can't post a picture from my phone). Will look for some squash recipes for you now.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Squash is like Zucchini, isn´t it?

Zucchini Frittatas are great, and it´s easy to vary the ingredients :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Pumpkin chutney? Ill find a recipe if you like.

I chopped up a lot of my Halloween pumpkin and used it in mixed veg chutney

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Squash is like Zucchini, isn´t it?

Zucchini Frittatas are great, and it´s easy to vary the ingredients :)

Yup, zucchini, courgettes & marrows are basically the same thing.

Toddy I found my Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Banana Chutney Filling recipe, but its a little long to type out on the phone. Will post it up tomorrow.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Throw a zucchini very high in the air and it will come down squash.
Many thousands of years of cultivation.
They are all members of the Cucurbitaceae, several related species are edible, others are extremely bitter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE