Pruning Knife Heads-up - Dobbies

N

Nomad

Those that are into gardening might be interested to know that Dobbies seem to be selling off their range of Felco (made by Victorinox) pruning knives at half price. I just got the 35-quid one for £17.50. (I actually got another 10% off because I went into the café for a feed and got handed a discount voucher, so £15.75.) I don't know if this is just my local branch or at all branches, but worth a look if you're in the market for a pruning knife. (It appears they were also doing the deal on the normal SAKs, but there were none left when I looked in the case - just a couple of empty holders with heavily discounted price stickers.)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I'm now a gardener, so interested, but do they make them one handed opening i'm guessing not, this is a big plus, as i usualy want a knife when i'm holding/doing something at the same time. I now carry a small fixed blade by primitive man on my belt.

Good offer tho' thanks for the heads up.

Rob

N

Nomad

No, it's definitely a two-handed opening knife, but I think pruning is something you decide to go and do, rather than something you suddenly realise you need to do while there's something in your other hand. For the latter, I have one of these that I picked up when I was in the shop for something else...

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/Product/bushwear-bushknife-folding

Needed to put a decent edge on it. A surprisingly solid little knife - no slop. Didn't have much need for it, but wanted to see what one could get for 4 quid. After trying an Opinel on the allotment and not liking it at all, I find the Bushwear own brand jobbie much better. Quite a thick blade, so maybe not a great slicer, but good for the odd jobs when, like you say, you're in the middle of something and suddenly need a blade without letting go of the thing in your other hand.

N

Nomad

Plus £6 for delivery!

Good point (I was in the shop, buying something anyway). Is it worth a tenner? Probably, although I might shop around to see what else there is for a similar price (although anything else is likely to be at least a tenner, plus delivery again). My thought at the time was that it's ridiculously cheap at 4 quid. It has the shop logo and web address etched into it, so it's really a promotional almost-giveaway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE