Prototype Axe Mask for Biker Takedown Carver

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I was very fortunate to get first dibs on one of Bikers much sought after takedown tommies - the one I chose was more of a carver than a tommy. It's a beautiful thing. Razor sharp with a good working weight. Nice and easy to choke up on for controlled use.

But something was missing - so I made it some clothes.

I always make a prototype before I make the final item and this is the prototype axe mask - the final version will probably have concealed fastening and a belt hanger to double as a shaft holder if stored taken down.

Anyhow - scuse the bad lighting.
DSC02014.JPG

DSC02016.JPG

DSC02017.JPG

DSC02020.JPG

DSC02021.JPG

I might attempt a touch of decoration on it if I can man up to it!

Cheers

Mike

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Quite a looker you got there Mike, and To what I'm seeing your man enough to do some decorative work ;)
Thanks for posting this one, and if you continue with the decorations keep us updated eh ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Wow that's gorgeous! And only a prototype?!!!!

Well impressed and glad to see that axe dressed. You're right it IS razor sharp, still got the bald spot on my arm to prove it.

Looks great Mike, well done.

Aye only a prototype thanks - it has issues. I had to shorten the mask as originally it was going to be a one piece so the stich grooves run off near the haft. Also some of the stitches went a bit wonky. The leather is also not the best quality having a very loose fibre on the suede side that's been heavily waxed and rolled to keep it tidy. As such it has a propensity to frey. I had to apply a lot of beeswax to bring it back to order. I also want an integrated belt loop.

I get halfway through and immediately start spotting improvements I could make...

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Aye only a prototype thanks - it has issues. I had to shorten the mask as originally it was going to be a one piece so the stich grooves run off near the haft. Also some of the stitches went a bit wonky. The leather is also not the best quality having a very loose fibre on the suede side that's been heavily waxed and rolled to keep it tidy. As such it has a propensity to frey. I had to apply a lot of beeswax to bring it back to order. I also want an integrated belt loop.

I get halfway through and immediately start spotting improvements I could make...
Are you going to make the retention strap as one bud? That's the only thing I would change, or did you sow it on for a reason bud?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Are you going to make the retention strap as one bud? That's the only thing I would change, or did you sow it on for a reason bud?

Originally it was a one piece, with the intention of slotting it in from the top and having the retention strap over the top lip, but the fitting was too snug once I cut - so yes the next one will be all in one... although I want to do something clever with the belt loop...

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
nice work for a prototype looks neat and practical. maybe a waste if leather though if its going tae be scrapped? unless the leather is poor quality as i just read above

Leather Prototypes save me more leather in the long run as cardboard just doesn't let me know how the piece will move, it also let's me practice new techniques - but yes this is not the best quality. I have a nice roll of 4mm veg tan waiting for the finished article.

What would be good is a cheap faux leather material with similar properties to build prototypes from.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I thought the idea of a demountable axe head was so you only had to pack the head as the handle could be fabricated in the wilderness? Are there any other advantages or am I missing the point?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I thought the idea of a demountable axe head was so you only had to pack the head as the handle could be fabricated in the wilderness? Are there any other advantages or am I missing the point?

its just easier to stow in my pack if I separate head and haft. Also a blank haft draws less attention if fixed to the outside of a day pack where people can see its just a stick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE