Mask for a forged axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
If you read my other posts you may have seen my attempt at forging an axe. Well it needs a mask to protect it and me and none of the standard ones are going to fit (its a one off :) ) and it felt right to make one as I made the axe.

Done a couple of knife sheaths in the past so set too on googling axe mask options. Its fairly conventional but I like it. I love the double row of stitching, like the look. I'm not the biggest fan of sewing so it was an effort of will to put two rows in :)

e974fa3364c88cdc3c847a6d49bd0358_zps7f8aad52.jpg

I've tried the mystery braid once before and had seen it used for the strap so stole the idea.
As I had the tools out I made a second braid too.

ef488c8915fe28a49258c77942c120fa_zps83557486.jpg

I need to learn tooling next time so I can add a bit more design to my leather work. But for now I'm happy with this (not in the league of the greats on here but).

Comments good or bad and any tips on what to do next time :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thanks all.
Was a nice project. Forgot to sew on the strap before I sewed the mask together which left me a bit stuck for a while. But improvised a brass Chicago screw and that did the job and looks well with the Sam Brown.
This was also my first go at leather dye. Not a bad first go, but can but get better.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looks good mate, I do like the mystery Plat and the double row of stiching,

I got a couple to do as well, been a bit busy with axe refurbs

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is nothing wrong with that at all - I have axe masks from all the greats - singtek, dougster, topknot - and that would be right at home amongst them!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thanks again to all for the great comments. Especially chuffed to get praise from the leather greats on here :)

solid work there mate looks braw, love the strap. still can't work my head around doing those mystery braids its driving me crazy haha

It took me a while to work out it goes in multiples. One or two turns and it looks twisted, another turn and it straightens up. And repeat. I think you can do five strands too but not tried that yet?

good stuff mate
a one off mask for a one off axe,
bring em both along to play when you come down

Will do. Hope to sort that soon and play with a few toys :)

There is nothing wrong with that at all - I have axe masks from all the greats - singtek, dougster, topknot - and that would be right at home amongst them!

Very high praise and many thanks. Was drooling over Angst's at the Bushcraft show so am very happy to get a hat tip.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Looks good
I made a rifle sling with a false braid in it and it's surprising how much it gives and stretches
It should hold nicely on the axe
Well done

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE