Axe Design contest submision for Autine!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey everyone,

Autine a superb company that makes axes knives and a whole lot more, recently released a contest, in which they allowed people to design their Axe.

I decided that this was the opportunity I was waiting for and cracked down to the nitty gritty.
I designed an Axe that had lingered in my thoughts for a long time, it is a Hybrid design between a heavier version of the small/medium Forest Axe and a broad axe, and is design to make shortwork of everything from felling, hewing, delimbing and joinery.

Here is the design I submited, Might you not be looking for a endless amount of little details of design, there are also shiny rendered picture of 3D models XD

The Forest Broad Axe has a thinner blade then a Forest Axe would have, which will allow it to cut cleaner and straighter. it has one convex and one flat bevel just like a one side ground broadaxe, the difference however is the angle on which the bevel is set, the way the bevel is set will allow the user to be able to hew beam without the need of an offset handle or twisted bit, as this would hinder its "Forest Axe" capabilities.
The bevel is also set in such an angle that the widening eye will not hinder its use a s a broadaxe.

The bit of the axe has a curvature that is just a bit lower then we are used from a forest axe, this is because of the intent of also using this axe as a building tool, this will help the user achieve greater precision. A small benefit as well is that is a tool which is allot easier to sharpen in the field, however experience craftsmen won't have any problem with that anyways.

The Handle of the axe is also a bit different then what we are used, this to provide a safer short grip which leaves less risk to snagging the 58cm shaft behind clothing etc, as this is a reasonable source of injuries when doing small work with longer axes, plus most importantly will give the user an opener grip when hewing a beam with less risk op hurting your hands.
The shape of the handle is sectioned into almost pointed near the head and close to oval on the lower part of the grip, this will assist in getting a good directional feel for the axe so that you will be able to operate easily and accurately. I this way you will use less energy keeping the blade straight which will keep you and your muscles happy after a long day of work. below you can see a elaborate cross section of the handle, which will allow you to see the way it is constructed.

CrossectionseriesHandleForestBroadAxe_zpsbd28fb61.jpg

The final weight of the Head will lie between the 900 and 1050 grams, as there is still a bit of balancing to do. It is mean to be a little heavier than a Small Forest axe in order to be able to do a little heavier work, as I have experienced the small forest axes just lack a little bit of weight in order to do the job in a reasonable speed, but it is also lighter than a full Forest axe to allow the user to do fine work and fatigue the user a little less.
For more Dimensions you can take a look at the drawings

DrawingFullBroadForestAxe_zpse00da29b.jpg

DrawingHeadBroadForestAxe_zpsae6509ae.jpg

The final design will only need a little tweak here and there in order to get the weight distribution and the final "hang" of the axe just right, other than that it is ready to go.

FullScalerenderhaftedBroadForestAxeConvexview_zpsb532e1a2.jpg

FullScalerenderhaftedBroadForestAxe_zpsc7931a7b.jpg

FullScalerenderhaftedBroadForestAxetopview_zps8b182915.jpg

AxeheadmultipurposeflatandconvexsemibroadheaddesignConvexsideviewFinal_zps3787f011.jpg

In this top view you can really see the angle of the Blade and the difference it makes with a traditional style Forest Axe>

AxeheadmultipurposeflatandconvexsemibroadheaddesignConvexTopviewFinal_zpse283d77c.jpg

AxeheadmultipurposeflatandconvexsemibroadheaddesignConvexrearviewFinal_zpsaed0f764.jpg

AxeheadmultipurposeflatandconvexsemibroadheaddesignFlatgroundsideFinal_zpsfe1262a6.jpg

AxeheadmultipurposeflatandconvexsemibroadheaddesignConvexsideFinal_zps4e9764de.jpg

So tell me what you think of the design I made, or perhaps even start a discussion?
And go over to the Autine Facebook page and vote, as I really need your guys and galls to vote for the design.

as soon as the design gets on, which will be somewhere this evening, I will put the facebook link in this thread.
And here it is : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.606438332773308.1073741890.363149117102232&type=1

And here is my Design: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606457689438039&set=a.606438332773308.1073741890.363149117102232&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn2%2Ft31%2F1911079_606457689438039_1198477294_o.jpg&smallsrc=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn2%2Ft1%2F1508040_606457689438039_1198477294_n.jpg&size=722%2C1020

Lets have some crossed finger
Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I really hope this meets with success - you've obviously put a lot of thought and work into this, and the design looks a good one.............My knowledge of axe design on this level is no match for others here on the forum so I'll refrain from commenting in the knowledge that there are others fo us who will know much more about it. Good luck!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Looks like you've put a good lot of thought into it. :)

Just curious how the curve of the handle compares to other axes around? I suspect it's the skin used on the rendering but the grain on that curve looks quite weak. I think it's possibly just hte way it looks with that particular really linear grain used on that skin though.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that handle and it's grain are just a computer graphic; I don't think that's the actual grain on a piece of wood.....................eh?.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi m8....first thing i thought was....'aint grey a great fella....look what hes done now....clever chap'....and i do indeed wish you the best...

second thought was... 'that handle is asking for trouble'....

but i'm no metal/woodworker and i hope we're all wrong!

a

ps....maybe put the direct link up for bcukers to follow/vote?

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Heya guys, And the comments about the Handle I see your concern however, the grain in this picture is from a standard straight which is also wrongly oriented,
but in hands of a decent carpenter with a well made timber selection the handle wont give much fuss, I promiss you that, it take a bit more "curviness" than this and then I would resort to something like steambending, however this is not necessary, in this design. I promis you guys ^^. I am still in a learning process but Wood, I have plenty of experience with, the handle will be made of Elm, and will withstand the abuses it is going to take, more than fine as I took some precautions in the relative curvature near the bend.
Just like in a bow I flattened the profile to share the load over a wider area, which in turn grants it more strength in lame man terms you could stand on this hand on the curve with over 6 man, would it even start to consider breaking

Yours sincerely Ruud

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I wonder how the curved handle will “feel” when making repeated swings ?
When chopping you get a rhythm with hands moving up and down with each chop. I’d be concerned that the shape of the handle would impede swings.
Obviously being able to pick it up would either allay or confirm any concerns.

Additionally would you consider a synthetic handle, rather than wooden ? I know people (self included) like wood, but why not pitch a radical axe with a radical handle too ?

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
To be Fair I have thought about it, however I really dislike the feel,
plus these type of axes will be used allot more in lower temperature as they are related to shelter building etc, this a synthetic handle is a lot let comfortable then a wooden one.

However the solution might you think the handle does not suffice would be to use basic Steam Bending techniques in order to get the sweep
and in that way I believe you get the best of all worlds.
This because wood conducts less cold, it absorbs more shock, it requires fewer material/processes to make, and is easier to replace.
Thus there fore the reason I chose Wood, Elm to be specific, is it is less likely to split then Hickory ^^.

And indeed I wonder how your rhythm would change with the increased curve, only one way to find out I figure ^^
Thanks for your comment

Yours sincerely Ruud

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very clever grain choice in the real picutre of the handle above.
Elm will take some serious bending if done right.

Cool looking thing that good luck with it.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think it looks good. :)

Your software and design skills are impressive as well, really interesting.

If it gets made I'd love to hear what others think of the unique features you've incorporated!

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks guys, and yeah Dwardo would have like to be able to put the current grain in there but the software did not allow me to import my own textures,
So sadly straight grain ^^ ( we dont sya that very often XD)

Thanks for the support guys, and please if you like it, let some friends know about it, as I really need the vote at this point ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks mate, and let hope/ make it happen that it come into production
Yours sincerely Ruud

Ps a shame that nowadays it is more about gathering votes then about the actual design and opinion of a craftsman,
but we do what we have to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE