Protecting my shivering skinny

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Even my big girl gets shivery at times when we're out but she's usually got Rich or Josh to keep her warm, especially now Rich is getting loads of lovely new down stuff for her to use :D

She's got an hammock underblanket made by Unsponsored on here to curl up in at night and her PFD for the canoe works well as a warm jacket if she needs it during the day. She's got more kit than me these days :)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'll probably get loads of flack for this but would I be wrong to suggest that a dog should fit its purpose?
It's the whole logic of breeding.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'll probably get loads of flack for this but would I be wrong to suggest that a dog should fit its purpose?
It's the whole logic of breeding.

Problem is mainly the extreme temperature swings.

You could buy a Siberian Husky or a Alaskan Malamute and they'd be fine being outdoors 24/7 in winter.
You'd have to be careful with them when they're active in the summer though (even in a UK summer never mind a Greek summer).

The dogs we had growing up never had coats and they spent most of their lives outside, so even our short haired dogs could probably survive without coats.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally.
If i've stopped on a hike for 20 mins to watch and listen nature around me and to brew a cuppa and i see my dog shivering, i'll happily try and make her a little more comfortable by covering her up.

So there is a difference between surviving (i.e. being fit for purpose) and being comfortable IMO.
Many dogs could survive a UK winter (if sheltered), but if we can why not offer our companions a bit more comfort.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sometimes my dog lets my in my sleeping bag at the end of the day. Sometimes i just get the blanket... :(

rumdogmillionaire.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE