Protecting my shivering skinny

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I've somehow ended up being a dog owner. A very nice situation indeed. It's not a very typical bushcraft dog. I have always had something for sight hounds, originally I wanted a scottish deerhound or a Irish wolfhound. But the one who melted my heart was a big greyhound. So greyhound it is.

As he has very little body fat, he sometimes needs a coat. Store bought ones were expensive here, so I thought, why not make one myself. I also hope this coat will work as a sleeping garment when sleeping out.

Here it is:
6550019139_3bd5233759_z.jpg

The outer is a pertex-like nylon fabric, wind proof, and water repellant. The inner is thick fleece. I lost the bias tape I bought for this project, so I ended up using home made pig leather edge binding. Note to self, pig skin does not handle like bias tape! I also put reflective piping at the inner edge of the binding, I don't like those hi-viz coats with reflective stripes everywhere. It works really well, he can take a leak without soiling the coat. The collar can be flipped over, for ventilation, e.g. when we're walking in steep terrain (usually I have to take it off if it's a long hill, he gets up in temps really fast).

Next project will be a pack for him. And maybe booties.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Now that's good

Mine is a lurcher so has more hybrid vigor but would still appreciate a good coat at the end of a long days mooching or on wet n windy waits. I tip my hat to you squire.
1f6563db-2e64-fca3.jpg

1f6563db-2edb-2c6a.jpg

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Absolutely fantastic.

We've got a Jack Russell, as she's only 6 months old she also tends to feel the cold.
It's ok when walking but she quickly starts shivering if i stop for a few mins.

We looked at the Hutta and Ruffwear range but your talking £60 for a dog coat, i don't pay that for my coats :lmao:
Plus she's only 6 months so hasn't stopped growing yet.

After seeing how great yours looks i might see about having a go ourselves.
Where did you get the fabric from please?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Good job there Olle. My aunt used to keep greyhounds and I used to walk them when I was a kid. Lovely natured dogs, and surprisingly agile for such long legged and seemingly delicate beasts.

,Cheers, Michael.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
We bought our beddy whippet an 'Animate' coat for £8. Its brilliant. She's got a fair bit of coat but as soon as it rains it soaks up moisture like a sponge. When we're camping she gets into the bottom of the sleeping bag - toasty and warm for me and her!

Picture 205.jpg

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Absolutely fantastic.

We've got a Jack Russell, as she's only 6 months old she also tends to feel the cold.
It's ok when walking but she quickly starts shivering if i stop for a few mins.

We looked at the Hutta and Ruffwear range but your talking £60 for a dog coat, i don't pay that for my coats :lmao:
Plus she's only 6 months so hasn't stopped growing yet.

After seeing how great yours looks i might see about having a go ourselves.
Where did you get the fabric from please?

Thanks everyone for comments. Lovely lurcher there too. I was at a point looking for a lurcher, but they are uncommon here, and getting one from an irish shelter seemed to be like taking a chance.

I bought the fabric from a local high street vendor, so the materials ended up around £15, had I done my e-shopping I could done it at maybe £9 or so. I've seen british greyhound kit suppliers who sells coats for around £20, and that's a price I would pay, but as you say, they are typically £60 locally.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I've somehow ended up being a dog owner. A very nice situation indeed.

You dont choose a dog :) - they choose YOU. Nice dog. re the booties - dogs sweat thru their paws so watch the material if you go down that route. Personally i wouldnt put them on a dog as they have more disadvantages than advantages - traction, reduced ability to sweat and the fact that people will laugh at you ;)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
You dont choose a dog :) - they choose YOU. Nice dog. re the booties - dogs sweat thru their paws so watch the material if you go down that route. Personally i wouldnt put them on a dog as they have more disadvantages than advantages - traction, reduced ability to sweat and the fact that people will laugh at you ;)

He got a crack in the paw the other week (they are just starting to salt the streets now, wreaks havoc on the paws) so I bought a pair. We tried them indoors, and I put both on the front paws, man, I have never seen a sillier walk, jeezus, the poor mutt was doing some sort of disco jiggin', haha. And you are right people laugh at you. But at spitzbergen we used booties for the greenland dogs a lot during the winter mushing season. They wouldn't last without them.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
We bought our beddy whippet an 'Animate' coat for £8. Its brilliant. She's got a fair bit of coat but as soon as it rains it soaks up moisture like a sponge. When we're camping she gets into the bottom of the sleeping bag - toasty and warm for me and her!

View attachment 8151

The problem is that I couldn't find any coats at that price level. And I needed a big collar too.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Always a tough call with the dog boots, as the terrain here is really rocky the first few walks our dog Bella's pads started getting very red and thin in places.
The vet advised to try dog boots, but as they were not bleeding and didn't seem to cause her any pain or discomfort i waited 5 days for them to heal then tried her again without boots.

Now at 6 months her pads are VERY tough and although i check often even on the roughest terrain here she has not had anymore problems.

It's the same with dog coats with some breeds, if the dogs wear them too long then they tend to not grow a winter coat or if they do not as thick.
So they tend to adapt really well to their surroundings and pretty quickly, it's really just a case of us keeping an eye on them and using a bit of common sense.

With regards to the salt on the roads, i'd honestly advise to try some booty things.
Our Doberman got very very ill one winter, turned out his paws had cracked and we hadn't noticed, thing is he started licking his paws after a walk to clean them, but the stuff that was put down to de-ice the road was some pretty nasty stuff that made him very ill.

So it might be worth trying the boots if for nothing else but to stop him licking that crap they put on the roads off his feet.

Cheers
Mark

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
hairy lurcher ! she gets clipped in the late spring.

walk8.jpg

lovely grey hound Big Swede and great coat :)

the big grey hounds are just about the only dog that can catch mine, very funny to see her face when they run right behind her !!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fair few dog owners here, any of you use your dogs when bushcrafting for rabbiting ratting etc?

Bella seems to have a keen natural instinct for rabbiting, but she doesn't seem to know what to do with them once she's caught up with them.

375986_10150466015799851_663129850_.jpg

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'm pretty sure I know what spot would do with a rabbit if he caught one, which he easily would. I've seen him with some stuffed toy animals, hehe, a lot of shaking and biting. Problem is I would probably get arrested for hunting regulation crimes and animal cruelty.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'm pretty sure I know what spot would do with a rabbit if he caught one, which he easily would. I've seen him with some stuffed toy animals, hehe, a lot of shaking and biting. Problem is I would probably get arrested for hunting regulation crimes and animal cruelty.

Is hare coursing illegal over there now as well?

She's killed a few mice we've come across and chased a rat, but with bigger stuff like rabbits she enjoys the chase but just keeps looking back at me as if to ask what to do next when they've both stopped.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
That looks great buddy , i think he is very bushcrafty he could probably feed u .Running dogs make the best pets.

Heres My big girl Lady .
Picture2620.jpg

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
samncorrie.jpg

I'll second that, they're complete lazy beggars in the house, happy to curl up and sleep all day and night, but as soon as she see's the lamp or ferret box she's switched on and pumped up. If you wanted to live on rabbit 24/7/365 she'd keep us fed.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Should be a separate thread ? But mine goes bushcrsftin..foraging with us....
95feea84-637a-5059.jpg

Here's his lafuma down coat :lmao:
95feea84-643c-58a4.jpg

He wasn't amused

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Another greyhound owner here. It's surprising how quickly they get cold in seemingly mild conditions - ours sometimes comes in shivering after a very quick visit to the back garden. She sleeps in her kennel coat (or pyjamas, as Mrs DHD calls them) every night, and she's always in her coat for walks at this time of year. Mind you, the woman a few doors away who has three (!) rarely uses their coats and they don't seem to mind; maybe they keep each other warm? Anyway, great work on that coat!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE