props for Ridley Scott's Robin Hood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Last year I had a really nice request to make a large collection of bowls for the set of Ridley Scott's next epic film based on the Robin Hood story. The film was delayed but is now just starting filming and they decided they liked the bowls so much they wanted some more, lots more.....by the end of the week. So after sorting out all my stock, photographing, pricing discussing this is another set of bowls for the film set. I am really thrilled that they are going to so much effort to have things that look right, I really would have expected them to use cheap mass produced bowls and "age" them.

IMG_7965.jpg

Vanessa Redgrave is now cast as the mother of Kings John and Richard along with Russel Crowe as Robin Hood and Kate Blanchett as Marion. It should be in the cinemas next May, I shall be there looking at the props.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Very nice they are too. On the note of film folks using cheap props, look at LotRs - all the swords etc were custom made, all the extras were wearing all the gear - or at least so they said in countless documentaries,voice overs & makings of.

But I'm happy for you! Well done on getting the business. ;)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nice to see the English/Scottish/Welsh and Irish actors land some of the big roles...

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Very nice they are too. On the note of film folks using cheap props, look at LotRs - all the swords etc were custom made, all the extras were wearing all the gear - or at least so they said in countless documentaries,voice overs & makings of.

But I'm happy for you! Well done on getting the business. ;)

Quite right, I recall John Rhys Davies talking about how there'd be a different stage hand carrying his boots, helmet, chest piece, greaves, gauntlets, maille - then he'd have to put it all on and run up a hill :D Using good quality and authentic props makes a massive difference.

Were all of those done for the commission, Robin? Or were some ones that you already had that were suitable? Looks like a helluva week :eek: Amazing work as usual though!

Pete

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
nice one robin, they look great, did some swords a few years back the film Alexander , it's a real thrill to see stuff you made on screen!:headbang:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Between the age of 8 and 13 I went to schools on the edge of Sherwood Forest so I got used to comments on the name.

Don't know Janty Wayland, there must have been a lot of folk working on the armor for Gladiator were there? They seem nice folk to work with, I have had plenty of approaches from folk doing film and theatre before and the normal request is for 100 bowls at £2 each and can we have them by Saturday?

forestwalker

Janty's request was 650 full Roman armours for £125,000 in three months and she got the Costume Oscar for it.

At least they were willing to pay for it. When they were making a movie here they wanted people to come with a trailered horse, their own full "armoured man on horseback" kit and get... lunch. Figuring the reneactors would be som happy to get to play in front of their cameras with their toys that they would pay money for doing it.

650 in 90 days... I can see the loricas being barely doable, but helmets... Impressed, very impressed if you did not take shortcuts like ordering pre-cut pieces.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Nice work. I was doing honey dripper spoons with S2, 13yr olds, this week at school. The beech is recycled table legs but they are from 70s furniture so the wood is a tad dry and blunts tools quickly.

Nick

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> 650 in 90 days... I can see the loricas being barely doable, but helmets... Impressed, very impressed if you did not take shortcuts like ordering pre-cut pieces.

We invented a new process to do the job, thought we were onto a good thing for a patent too.

Unfortunately Weta stumbled upon exactly the same idea at exactly the same time for the Lord of the Rings armour, so neither of us could patent it in the end.

They though we had nicked the idea from them for a while and were very suspicious.

Such is life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE