Progress report: Confused amatuer knife maker.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Rather rashly I suggested running a knife making session for our Explorers, having never done a 'proper' kinfe myself. So I've got on and done mine. Thanks for the advice and inspiration Guys and Gals.

DSCF0545.jpg

We can also have a guess the wood contest, all I know is that it was from the timber reclaimed from our old workbench. The bench was an old cabinet that has seen about thirty years service as a workbench. Moved from Helensburgh to Wiltshire, out to Germany and back again. A bit rotten after a flooded cellar and covered in engine and gearbox oil, it still took the sledgehammer to knock it to pieces. As it was at that workbench I learn't most of the skills used to make the knife it seemed fitting tribute to use a bit of it. It ain't a perfect bit of wood (spot the screw hole I didn't find till the scales were roughed out) and it ain't a perfect knife but I'm happy and it's very mine.

Not sharpened yet, but I did use it with the firesteel to light my parafin lamp (I wasn't going to be stoped by a powercut). I can report a healthy shower of sparks. I'm going to add a leash and see how I get on with it, once I decide what I want.

On to a go at leather work then!

Cheers.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thanks, everyone.

I bought the blade at the christmas market in Ludlow castle. Don't have any spec on it but at 25 pound I couldn't resist! Seller was a maker of reproduction historical weapons so I gather it's 'real'.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice knife I like that blade.
I was gonna show my Scouts how I made my knife by showing them it at various stages and showing how I did it but my District Commissioner did not like the idea so I didnt.
Hope all goes well with the Explorers.:You_Rock_

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I like to call them features or reminders of good times making a knife ;) I find everything i do has a feature of some kind :rolleyes:

Lovely looking knife and a brave thing to do passing on your skills. Hope they appreciate it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE