Problem with grinder dust.....what mask???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as the title realy, i have been doing some blades today and have been grinding for about 5 hours, i have and use the disposable white felt type masks but still get loads of dust into my lungs and nose.

i breath through my nose to try and keep some dust out but even with the mask on i still get loads of it all around my nose and of course into my lungs...:(

my question to all the wood turners and knife makers is what mask do you use where from and how much does it cost....

im short of money but REALY REALY need to get this sorted...

many thanks.

chris.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I found disposable masks hurt the bridge of my nose and also I was getting through at least 2 per week and for the P2/3 masks starts costing a fortune. I went over to a non-disposable version... http://www.axminster.co.uk/vitrex-vitrex-twin-filter-respirator-prod719630/ ...and found it very comfortable and also the filters don't get all soggy and need replacing often though the inner area does need a wipe now and again to remove moisture . I also sometimes add a layer of tissue to the outer surface of the filters if I'm doing very dusty stuff and this helps them to not clog as fast.

Avoiding crud in your lungs should be paramount and worth spending out decent money for, advice I wish I heeded in years past. If your that skint then just get the best P2/3 disposables for now but look at getting something better.

Steve

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks gents, thats basicly what i was thinking, i do notice it effects my running when i have done lots of grinding when im on leave, i will get a good mask on monday, i already have glasses but they mist up with the masks i have now...:(

anyway will get new kit on monday.

thanks again.

chris.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
If your glasses are misting up, it generally means your mask is leaking i.e your blowing damp air from your lungs up past the sides of your nose.
Getting a mask that fits correctly can be a problem, I tried several before finding one that fitted correctly and was comfortable.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Moldex Dust mask is a good one to go for ,and remember do not leave the mask in the workshop clean it and leave somewhere that relatively dust free

Jason

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
If your glasses are misting up, it generally means your mask is leaking i.e your blowing damp air from your lungs up past the sides of your nose.
Getting a mask that fits correctly can be a problem, I tried several before finding one that fitted correctly and was comfortable.

im on paper type masks at the moment, not good at all mate hence the post....;)

drphoto

Aug 4, 2011
france
you cant skimp on masks. I bought a diy/pro one that looks like half a gas mask and the difference is incredible. It came with "fumes" filters and you couldnt smell paint stripper, thinners anything through it. Youve got to keep them clean and sealed in a bag, and i use the original filters for dust now and they are still good, vacuum and blow the filters out regularly. I think it cost twenty quid, and i would have spent that in paper ones by now, and they stop nothing. A dedcent mask doesnt work if youve got a beard or havent shaved for a while, it needs to seal against your skin.
ps mines chucked in the tool cupboard now so I dont practice what I preach but i do blow it out with compressed air before i use it.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Hi Chris,

As well as the masks you could go for some kind if dust extraction, I use an old Dyson DC1 on my belt sander.

Though on metal I'd be tempted to put a metal reservoir between to hoover and the grinder, basically just a large metal can/drum to catch any sparks with a low inlet and a high outlet.

This helps to reduce the dust but you might need to play around with the pick up.

Richard

Apr 19, 2011
Scotland
Hi

I use the 'bumblebee' masks when paint stripping, they are pretty good. If you want, I can send you a new one I have (bought 5 years ago, but still sealed in its bag) for the cost of postage.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Rich the problem is my shed is SO SO small, i can only just get in there with a bench to work, and then i need to keep the door closed because of the noise (the people next door have small kids), i would put a water trap under the belt/wheel grinder but again, no bloomin room...

Lumpendoodle, thaks mate but i will get 1 on Monday (pay day whhooooo), the net seems to have loads, i have seen a mask and goggles combo for £15 so will try that and see what happens...

thanks to all...

chris.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Pretty much any mask with only one strap on it isn't worth having.
That includes the white paper masks.

I have one of the rubber ones with the replaceable cartridge and its been good whilst ripping old ceilings out in houses and that's about as dirty a job as I can think of.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
As per advice in link in post 5 masks don't do the job powered respirators do. I use one like this http://www.trendairshield.com/
If funds won't stretch to that consider working outside at times when you won't be upsetting neighbors. Knifemaker Grace Horn's husband is a pathologist in Sheffield, a quick chat with him about what the inside of a knife grinders lungs look like is enough to convince anyone to put a weeks wages or the cost of a few knives into a respirator.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I quite like the 3M masks with 2 straps, I use them at work now exclusively when I don't need chemical protection. They seal well round the face and nose, unlike nearly every other disposable I've tried.

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
I made my dad buy a trend airshield. He make a lot of kids toys from mdf. Needs the best protection there is, I want him around a bit longer. Recommended, fits you head not face so works really well and does nt mist up.

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
Things are worse in a small shed. A full face respirator will protect your lungs, until you take it off.You will still inhale dust from your hair and your clothes. You really need dust extraction and a water bucket if you grind towards yourself.

I used to grind away from me, in front of a window on a wheely bin. My window cleaners won't touch the window, as the grinding dust burnt into the glass and now destroys they cloths or weegees. The plastic bin is rusting.

An average week would see me sweep up a couple of bin liners of dust from a small shed. We all have a tendency to concentrate on the grinder, but the real set up cost should include dust extraction, a respirator and overalls. Its a bit like buying a chainsaw. They can be had for a hundred quid. but if you want to use them officially in a public place, the protective clothing and certificates will add another 800 to 1000 pounds.

My local Machine Mart is offering VAT off their products and 10% off everything else today. They do masks and bins designed for going between a vacuum cleaner and hot coals, ideal for grinding.

Hope you get sorted soon, I am looking forward to seeing what you produce.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE