Prices of knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
When. I first stumbled apon this site . I had no knowledge of steel types or how much goes into the making of knives. I had no idea that shop brought knives where so inferior. Until I brought this .
pezeze5e.jpg

I looked at a rambo style knife when I came to this site and embarrassingly compared it to a shop copy again no idea what I was looking at . So Ive read everything I could from this site and many others for almost a year now . Built a coal forge and brought a gas one also . I've yet to make my own blade . I've brought steel, copper plate & pins wood ,glue ,epoxy resin , a lathe , gas bottles, dremel, grinders , sharpening stones , honing oils , leather , chisels, knife blanks , the list is endless yet I'm still not ready to make a blade of my own . The journey has been great and I would encourage anyone to try even to try making one from someone elses blanks . There is a science to everything knives are no different. Shops copy and have done for as long as man has traded . They're not the real thing only mass production. Where as a hand made ones take time effort love blood sweat and alot of swearing. In my opinion
Paddytray .;

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
What do you call serious wonga? Custom knives can vary in price from around £100 into thousands. Depends on the knife and the maker.

The high end stuff costing a grand or more tend to be one off customs - the only one of its kind. Is it worth it then? depends on the bloke buying. These tend to be collectors knives.

Custom bushys are on the lower end of the scale.These are working knives that are intended to be used. IMO most of these are fairly priced for what you are getting. They take time and skill to make. A £150 bushy isn't expensive for a hand made knife. Fallkniven F1's are about £125 these days and they are mass produced. No one complains about the price of these.

As a full time knifemaker, i can tell you now that just being able to pay the bills each month is a challenge and i don't have an expensive lifestyle.

if we couldn't command these type of prices, there would neither be custom knives nor custom knifemakers

I know that a hand made knife takes a lot of time and skill to craft , but are they really worth the serious wonga .
Won't a well looked after Mora for £25 be a more sound investment or am I missing the point totally

Maybe I'm just jealous cos I can't afford one , what are your opinions on this .

Cheers

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Well Said Mark !
You are buying a knife from a skilled person who has given 100% attention to each individual knife during its creation which in itself takes time, and not assembled from a box of bits that have been mass produced.
At the end of the day it is down to the buyer to decide if he/she can afford/justify the purchase.

What do you call serious wonga? Custom knives can vary in price from around £100 into thousands. Depends on the knife and the maker.

The high end stuff costing a grand or more tend to be one off customs - the only one of its kind. Is it worth it then? depends on the bloke buying. These tend to be collectors knives.

Custom bushys are on the lower end of the scale.These are working knives that are intended to be used. IMO most of these are fairly priced for what you are getting. They take time and skill to make. A £150 bushy isn't expensive for a hand made knife. Fallkniven F1's are about £125 these days and they are mass produced. No one complains about the price of these.

As a full time knifemaker, i can tell you now that just being able to pay the bills each month is a challenge and i don't have an expensive lifestyle.

if we couldn't command these type of prices, there would neither be custom knives nor custom knifemakers

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
I would ask you originaltrav whether you consider a knife to be simply a tool?

For me a quality handmade knife is not only a useful tool but a thing of beauty to be cherished and handed down through the generations. I couldn't imagine leaving a Stanley knife in my will, useful as they are :)

As to whether they are worth the ‘serious wonga’. When you factor in material costs, time spent making them, machinery costs, electricity etc the answer is that they are probably worth double what they often sell for.

Originaltrav

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2013
Oldham
Thanks for all the input

I look at some of the knives made by hand on this forum in awe and wonder and I also drool sometimes .The skills of people are amazing , I myself have not got the skill set to make my own , or the space,time etc .
Yes I would love to own a lovingly crafted knife but there is a big but, I just can't afford to shell out £££'s (if I had it ,no problem)

I do have 2 knives , one Mora and a Condor which do everything I ask of them .

I just wanted to hear other people's opinions, in no way am i knocking the skilled guys and gals who make these quality blades .
If I could do it I would , and who knows I might yet get one ,but for now I'll carry on drooling .

Thanks again

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
but for now I'll carry on drooling

''don't drool'', if it's a working tool you want be glad you can do excactly the same with a cheap mora as anybody else can with an expensive custom knife, and if you damage/lose your mora laugh your socks off when you replace it with another cheapo while the expensive custom knife owner weeps tears with the same problem. If it's not a working tool you want but an investment buy an expensive custom knife and leave it in a drawer unused gathering dust but gaining profit. If you are rich buy anything you want and use it however you wish as replacing it is no problem, on a budget be glad you are not handicapped in any way whatsoever with a cheap mora other than in the ridiculous fashion status.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think this subject is now an annual event on BCUK.

Something is only worth what you as an individual are willing to pay for it - there's really no other discussion to be had. We all buy things for different reasons because we're all individuals with different tastes. Let's celebrate those differences and move on.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I've got a variety of knives, to be honest the one that I use the most is my SAK or Spyderco UKPK because I've got one or the other on me at any given time.

When I'm out bushcrafting or OUT. My prefered knife is my Mora, though I've got much better knives, this is the one that I tend to lift when I'm going out the door. I still want a Stu Mitchell or Woodlore though.

But I suspect I'd still find my mora on my belt when I'm out.

The price of the knife isn't important its how happy you are with it that counts

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I think this subject is now an annual event on BCUK.

Something is only worth what you as an individual are willing to pay for it - there's really no other discussion to be had. We all buy things for different reasons because we're all individuals with different tastes. Let's celebrate those differences and move on.

Amen to that!
I understand the initial post and the sentiment behind it but there is not really an answer to the question ; it's only ever one person's opinion
skewed by their own preference,budget,inclination and taste.Vive La Difference!
Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE