Prevention of horsefly bites ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I’ve been cutting hedges at work recently and had five bites in a week ! Culminating in this painful thing ..

image.jpg

I tried a jungle formula type repellent but it stank and did nothing ! What do you guys do ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I take anti histamines before I get bitten, and if I do, I take anti histamine and anti-inflammatories.

I carry an epi pen these days because of those bites, so I'm kind of wary.

I have found nothing that actively stops them biting. They'll eat their way through clothes to get to your flesh.
Deet, if you can find it in a decent strength, does kill them.....but so does a well aimed swipe, but you have to be aware of them to do that. They are sleekit little blighters and silent in flight.

Eurax cream really does help stop the itch. So does Antisan.

Sorry you're being afflicted with them just now. They say that every creature fills a necessary role in the scheme of things.....I cannot think of anything that these things bring to the table but their appetite, and honestly have a kill on sight policy for them.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I was in hospital last year with them on a antibiotic iv drip and steroids … I too react badly to them. The doc then said take loratadine daily which I do. I’ll try some ibuprofen now and look for the creams you mention thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just can't sympathise enough.
It's a horrendous reaction to such a simple thing, isn't it ? and it's a dirty bite too.

It would be a blessing to find something that stopped them from even thinking of biting us.

Someone suggested hanging up a waterballoon filled with rehydrated pigs blood (you can buy the dried stuff to make home made black puddings) to distract them, but I reckon that was just encouraging them to breed even more miseries.
Like the fellow who said just to let them feed if they land on you.
Hah ! No ! if I spot it on me, it's dead as fast as I can hit it. It's one less to lay eggs, I reckon.

M

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Treat them like a dog, if a horsefly bites you pick it up and bite it's ear.

Jesting aside, marmite works well for dissuading them, I think it's the vitamin B12. That is to say you need to eat the marmite, not just slather it on as a repellent, though that would work to repel people too.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Ewww Marmite ! A friend on another forum has recommended this so I’ll report back on its effectiveness

Reactions: Oliver G

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've been plagued by the smaller cleggs all the time building the shepherds hut; I react with huge swellings and unbearable itching. I ended up having to use a 50% DEET repellent (natural ones didn't work) but found I only needed to use it in the afternoon when it got warmer.

Reactions: mikehill

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@mikehill
I eat marmite every day. Just had it with my breakfast :) and I still get bitten :sigh:
Be aware of the Niacin (B3) histamine flush, if you're trying the B vitamin route. It's a scary reaction when not expected.

@Broch
Do you have a link to the DEET you found, please ?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I’ve found only DEET deals with those things. Luckily we don’t get many around us. I used to use Lifesystems when on expedition and it works well on horseflies here too.

Yep, that's the stuff I use as well. I'll usually try a natural one or a DEET free one first and resort to 50% and, if necessary, 100% as circumstances dictate.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Northern Forest stuff is really good. I don’t need much more than that in the U.K. The natural Lifesystems and Pyramid repellants are great for everything U.K. too. I’ve not found them 100% against horseflies. Although, you do only notice the ones that bite you and not the ones that are repelled and I tend to apply it to only a few areas and not cover myself fully.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I found none of the smokey or 'tar' ones worked at all. Not the soaps, the creams or the sprays. I even tried the stuff to wash into clothing, and that didn't stop them either.

I think the unfortunates among us are just vulnerable, or just too attractive to the blighters for some weird reason.

I prefer the natural routes to most things, and though the sweet gale/lemon balm/mugwort mix does help, if they're determined, it doesn't stop them.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I find a good dab of alcohol gets the swelling and itching down. I always carry some in my van for cleaning and fire lighting anyway. Can't really add anything to the repellant suggestions.

Reactions: Toddy

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
I had a bite on the back of my leg last week, bloody itching was driving me mad, I tried after bite and alcohol wipes but relief was short.
While looking in the medicine cabinet I spied some liquid skin, I thought I will give that a go.
So I painted over the bite area sealing it with liquid skin, the Itching stopped and swelling seamed to go down.
After that it didn't really bother me.
Now Im no scientist...but give it a go see if it helps you out on your next bite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayland and Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Wayland recently suggested second skin for after being bitten so there's a couple of testimonials now which is good.

I was expecting to get mashed by biting things at the Moot but for the first time ever I got away with just two not so bad bites , although I killed half a dozen horseflies.

I hate horseflies, they're the worst thing I can get nailed with, takes three weeks for the swelling to go down...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had a bite on the back of my leg last week, bloody itching may driving me mad, I tried after bite and alcohol wipes but relief was short.
While looking in the medicine cabinet I spied some liquid skin, I thought I will give that a go.
So I painted over the bite area sealing it with liquid skin, the Itching stopped and swelling seamed to go down.
After that it didn't really bother me.
Now Im no scientist...but give it a go see if it helps you out on your next bite.

It's got to be worth a try :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As mentioned above. I heard a suggestion to use nail polish to seal the bites of chiggers to stop the itching.

Didn't fancy the nail polish so I tried Germaline New Skin, which I normally carry for blister treatment, and it seems to stop the itching on a variety of bites.

Recommended it to a few people now and most have been impressed.

My go to bug dope is an equal mix of Beck Oil, Citronella Oil, Tea Tree Oil and Eucalyptus Oil which works quite well in general but not sure if it will work with cleggs. Haven't been bitten by one for a few years though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Equine supply stuff is worth a look. Working through thick undergrowth clearing power lines we used to get feasted on. We had a big spray bottle of something that we soaked ourselves with, it worked well.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Managed to get a docs appointment tomorrow at 13-30. It’s got so bad if I try to clench my fist little dots of blood seep out the skin !

• Wow
Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE