pressure lantern advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Having once had a box of lots and lots of Tilley "happy" mantles, that's what I use in both my Tilleys, and my Vapalux. Works just fine on the Vapalux.

I use "3 in 1 " on the pumps.

As to "pulsing", one of my Tilleys does it, irrespective of what I do. Even swapping vaporisers between them makes little difference. The Vapalux occasionally does pulse, but not as markedly. If it's over-pressured it is more noticeable.

The cause of a poor light is almost always a dead vaporiser. And attempts to clean it with carb cleaner, rotating bits of wire on a drill, blow torches etc etc etc are generally futile. This is because you'll not get into the extreme top bit of the tube. But yes, as noted earlier, I sometimes remove the cleaning wire, remove the carbon buildup on it and put carb cleaner into the tube. Certainly it might help prolong life.

This illustrates what you're dealing with http://www.scherning.de/lampen/vapalux_vaporizer.htm

So, beware of second hand vaporisers on eBay - there is no problem finding genuine, old stock, and the likes of Basecamp is as good a source as any. Personally, I'd avoid the Korean stuff.

The only other thing which can cause fuel supply problems is the fuel pick up in the tank - I've certainly found one which was partially blocked with some sort of what looked liked silk fibres, but I've no idea of what it actually was. The pricker control / control cock seldom causes issues. And yes, if it's working, leave it alone!

Enjoy - great things. Oh - avoid the pre-pack paraffin from DIY stores. If you can get proper, real, paraffin, do. Central heating oil for example. Several people have reported vaporiser problems after running on pre-pack and while it's not proven that this is the cause, it seems to be.

Last edited:

Phil P

Oct 8, 2014
West Lothian
Dunno about Tilleys, I used to use Coleman pressure lanterns, Good piece of kit until, that is, they leak and you get incinerated by burning Naptha (The stuff they used in Napalm). Now I stick to a headtorch; lighter, less messing about and a lot bloody safer.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have run 2 Coleman lanterns and a Coleman 2-burner stove for more that 40 years. They light, they start, just as you would always hope they would.
They run at any temperature with the proprietary naptha gasoline fuel. If weight is no issue, they are the most reliable in Canadian winters.
Very nice in summers, too.
As a shot added note, I cooked on a Coleman, daily, for 5 months without a hiccup.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
The only stove which ever let me down in the 40+ years I've been using various stoves was a Coleman. As I recall, the Peak 1 model - it had been run on unleaded petrol here in UK and the deposits from that eventually blocked the generator tube. I was in Canada many years back, and bought some Coleman fuel at a ridiculously low price compared to UK.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
The only stove which ever let me down in the 40+ years I've been using various stoves was a Coleman. As I recall, the Peak 1 model - it had been run on unleaded petrol here in UK and the deposits from that eventually blocked the generator tube. I was in Canada many years back, and bought some Coleman fuel at a ridiculously low price compared to UK.

mate i now use 'pannel wipe' ( on duel fuel lamps and cookers) is about £19 a gallon,its the same as the yankee white gas.it has zero aditives and so wont block any generators/vapourisers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE