Present for my Eldest

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
After much discussion and negotiation (swmbo got her way, I consented to let her get her ears pierced!) I managed to win my bid so my big girl also got this for her 10th Birthday :D

It is a Stainless Frosts Mora in a simple leather sheath by myself - she seemed quiet pleased, which did surprise me a tad and used it straight away to open her next present.

I think it is good to start my kids off on the right track and they both (youngest is 8) know a knife is a tool and should be used with care. I don't want them growing up to be scared of knives and to be confident in their handling and use.

Anyone else give their daughters knives as a present?

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
My daugter is soon to get almost exactly the same. I do like the simple sheath and will follow you lead in doing one the same. We've just spent the whole day sorting the trees in the garden out and she's been all saws and knives all day. Though was a little put out as I won't let her use the axes yet. I'd do more but she doesn't live with me and it'll take time.

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Not daughters yet ( 8 and 1 ! ) But eldest son (10) has an Opinel and uses my little sheath knife (very simialar to a small mora) confidently. Looking to get him his own for next b'day.
Eldest daughter used the little sheath knife last Sunday to batton some light hazel into kindling for a fire she lit. She realy enjoyed herself, so much so an Opinel might be on the list for coming b'day.

Agree totaly, it is very important that children learn to respect and handle blades sensibly, remove the fear and stigma and they're just a tool.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
With you as her Dad Graham she won't go far wrong!

Thats a lovely set...if I can engineer an accident involving a condom and a time machine......:lmao:

I had my first rifle at 12 so I totally agree....let children learn in safety from a patient teacher and they will honour that trust. Take these things away from them and they cquire a mystique and they will elarn on the streets. I know which I would prefer!

Red

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
My 10 year old daughter has a Frosts knife and knows exactly what it's for. She can sharpen it and use it safely. It doesn't come out of the sheath unless it's going to be used.

I agree that kids need to learn, from an early age, about how to handle potentially dangerous things safely.

Martin :)

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Excellent birthday gift.
Both my daughters (11 & 13) have knives which they treasure keep sharp and always put in the sack when we go for a walk. As they started handling knives early they now respect the knife as a tool.
Today I spent a hour with my eldest whittling in the woods today, she is making a scout staff, it felt as natural as could be. Although we did give a couple a bit of a fright when they stumbled upon us.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice gift for her and now I know what style of sheath to make for my frost 105.

My daughter 21 only has a small SAK

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Lovely present, all the more special because you made the sheath.

I gave my friends young daughters {whom I used to babysit and childmind} SAK Mini Champs, followed by Leatherman Supertool type multi-tools, a Maglite and lantern, the little lad {their brother} also got the same type multi-tool and a Maglite. I gave the girls the SAK catalogue for them to choose.

They selected the Mini Champs, possibly as I'd already given their mother a similar model some years previously, and their father and I use Leatherman Supertools and SAK Swiss Champs {the girls had closely examined Supertools and Swiss Champs for quite a while}.

I feel honoured to give the children tools with which they'll learn skills, and I got a larger Packraft when the youngest girl asked if she could come paddling with me. A Gerber E-Z Out Rescue Knife on an RT2 Mini Gear Keeper are attached to her PFD.

The children look after and use their tools with a degree of responsibility and skill which would put many an adult to shame! Its natural for children to have pocket knives, I always did.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
What a breath of fresh air it is to see parents give tools like this to their kids.
In my humble opinion this will only result in a deep respect for knifes etc and a healthy view on what they are for.
Soloman.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
My son was given his first proper knife at 9 ( a mora ), he now uses one made by me which is a pleaseure to see, he has a deep respect and is so careful in its use , more than some adults I have seen

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
TEN ALREADY! :eek:

Lovely present. I got my first penknife at that age, a present from Nan and Grandad. I learnt axe and saw from my Dad. Lessons from him and my Grandads have served me well.

What's it like teaching your own Girls?

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE