Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Finally got round to watching the rest of the video. Big knife? You must have small expectations. Looked well less than a 5 inch knife to me.
"My big knife" was just the phrase she used and it was the way she kept saying how she liked her big knife that showed me she didn't really know anything about it or likely how to use it. It just seemed like the typical attitude of if I have a big knife it'll be really useful to me. Just her forcing it out of the sheath (rather than pull and lift) and nearly cutting her throat demonstrated she didn't know what she was doing. I was almost wetting myself when she started talking about the cool holes to tie it to make a spear and how she didn't know how to do it but thought it was really useful... Only useful if you have the skills and situation to use it!

Edit: And no I don't think that's a big knife. THIS IS A KNIFE!
http://www.espressoparts.com/espressoparts/content/images_inv/f/m/9282/cup_spoon_eco1_full.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For many i've seen they seem to go full out on what they enjoy, be that weapons, food storage etc but then leave other things they're not interested in like water for example.

Which is a great shame, I think a programme based on real survival / total self sufficiency would be fascinating - more akin probably to "River Cottage" or "Victorian Farm" than "Bunker Nutjob". I think a lot of people would really enjoy the idea of watching a group - even with preparation - go totally solo for a year. Even my own humble "self reliance" posts (sugar making, vinegar making, bee keeping....even maintaing the septic tank and rainwater harvesting) seem to create some interest.

There is a series that to a large extent encompasses what I would call "real" survival that I think members here would enjoy

Its about a family living an isolated life in Alaska

http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2735432-Alaska-The-Last-Frontier

That for me is much more like "real" survival

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Perhaps one of these programs could actually film people doing a bug out for a week/month/year. They say theyre prepared and they show you practising for 24 hours but you don't ever see them actually relying on their skills and trying to find reliable food and water for a month...

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
As has been said, sensationalist tv, but not as extreme as I thought it'd be.

Self reliance without the comforts of civilisation is hard going, even in a group. Eye infections, sweat rashes, cuts, dirty fingernails, fatigue, mental stress, cold, thirst and hunger will all lay you low - simple things we can avoid for the most part in today's society.

Anyone who's been on "exercise" for a few weeks at a time will have an inkling.

I'm all for sensible preparation but don't go on national/global tv showcasing what you're doing...

Just my tuppence worth.

Liam

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Which is a great shame, I think a programme based on real survival / total self sufficiency would be fascinating - more akin probably to "River Cottage" or "Victorian Farm" than "Bunker Nutjob". I think a lot of people would really enjoy the idea of watching a group - even with preparation - go totally solo for a year. Even my own humble "self reliance" posts (sugar making, vinegar making, bee keeping....even maintaing the septic tank and rainwater harvesting) seem to create some interest.

There is a series that to a large extent encompasses what I would call "real" survival that I think members here would enjoy

That's the thing though, folks would sooner watch fair bills jump over a precipice or some talentless twonk attempt to sing or cook than something with proper real world reality and educational content.

I would sooner read your home build blog 100 times back to front, than watch 1 min of most the trash that's on TV these days.
You should make a documentary goodjob

The other thing that gets me with all these preppers is, very few are honest enough with themselves to see the big picture.
IF the worst happened then unless you have a varied social group most would be dead within 1 year.

It's no good having 10,000 rounds of ammunition and 600 guns if you come down with appendicitis.

It's not tough to see how people would survive if we were plummeted back to the dark ages, just look at history.
Society NEEDS to have groups, you need blacksmiths, a fixer, teachers, doctors, cooks, foragers, hunters, farmers, fighters (security) seamstress, bakers etc etc.

Even if you don't have all those in your group or village you will need to be producing something to barter with another group that has a doctor, and a bartering substance that's replenish-able.

Perhaps one of these programs could actually film people doing a bug out for a week/month/year. They say theyre prepared and they show you practising for 24 hours but you don't ever see them actually relying on their skills and trying to find reliable food and water for a month...

I agree, although in the US episode i watched a song producer guy did live in his shelter for up to 3 months at a time.

As has been said, sensationalist tv, but not as extreme as I thought it'd be.

Self reliance without the comforts of civilisation is hard going, even in a group. Eye infections, sweat rashes, cuts, dirty fingernails, fatigue, mental stress, cold, thirst and hunger will all lay you low - simple things we can avoid for the most part in today's society.

Anyone who's been on "exercise" for a few weeks at a time will have an inkling.

I'm all for sensible preparation but don't go on national/global tv showcasing what you're doing...

Just my tuppence worth.

Liam

Agree 100%

I also find it amusing that many of these preppers you see are monumentally unfit or physically trained.
Sort of backs up my earlier post in that they tend to only prep seriously on things they enjoy be it food storage or weapons.

The song writer guy was grossly overweight and could hardly walk, he had to sit down after chopping a few pieces of wood.
He did acknowledge the fact at his summation speech though, but in the update he'd not really done anything about it.

His scenario was global nuclear war, call me old fashioned but if i strongly believed that was going to occur i'd want to be as fit as i could possibly be because spending months in a shelter isn't going to do you any favours.
I think it's wise to try and edge your bets with the future, be it looking after your money or having a bug out bag in case of earthquake, floods etc.
But i also think it's great that life is so unpredictable, and unpredictable enough that you can't possibly be prepared for everything it throws at you.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
"My big knife" was just the phrase she used and it was the way she kept saying how she liked her big knife that showed me she didn't really know anything about it or likely how to use it. It just seemed like the typical attitude of if I have a big knife it'll be really useful to me. Just her forcing it out of the sheath (rather than pull and lift) and nearly cutting her throat demonstrated she didn't know what she was doing.....

I agree she didn't have a clue. But I never saw the knife antwhere near her throat. She did scare hell out of me by wrapping her hand around the sheath to draw it (a sharp knife could have cut through the sheath and taken her fingers off)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....The other thing that gets me with all these preppers is, very few are honest enough with themselves to see the big picture.
IF the worst happened then unless you have a varied social group most would be dead within 1 year....

I suppose it depends on just what you're "prepping" for. Realistic scenarios regarding storms, wildfires, natural disasters, etc. shouldn't last so long before recovery begins.

On the other hand if you're talking about a TEOTWAWKI scenario, then yes, that's better done as a diverse group. But then again that would really be an undertaking best taken by an official agency or government wouldn't it? The shear cost and scope would be beyond most lesser groups.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool

A show like cast away circa the year 2000? I liked that show myself. I would love to see a much more prolonged example though without that family that kept throwing a fit unless everything was 100% perfect.

Elen Sentier

OMG! I just watched it ... the fluffy blonde :lmao:. Mind you, to me, they're all disaster areas as they have a ditzy "survival" atitude instead of a "how shall I live differently" vision. Living is very different from survival. Anybody read "The Day of the Triffids", read, not seen any of the ditzy films. The guy who says "what if the financial system goes down"... eh? ... what if ??? Sigh! And the hunk with the hare is very pretty, I suppose, if you need eye candy but I wouldn't like to trust him to get my food. Someone else commented on his gutting skills, I think even my arthritic hands would do a better job. As the fat guy says of Katrina victims, there won't be anyone to rescue you ... no, there won't. Ho hum, I think I duck and dive if I see a prepper coming :rolleyes::D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think shows like this give real preppers a bad name/image.
The real ones are simply trying to be capable enough to support themselves and their families regardless of the vagaries of the weather or (banned bit coming, don't take it as an excuse to dive into a discussion) political turmoil or social unrest.
In the UK, long term doesn't mean stocking up on a million rounds and Mad Max type hardware; it's more along the lines of grow your own and learn how to do it really, really well. Learning to be ultra capable, rather than ultra paranoid.
They have no intention of being parasites like a lot of the idiots who show off on the telly.
They do accumulate, but carefully, and with as many tools as stashes of long lasting foods, etc., Their biggest resource is simply knowledge.

cheers,
Toddy

Elen Sentier

I agree, Toddy - the real ones don't talk about it, not like that, but just get on and do it. Things like learning to cook, how to store without a fridge, how to find/hunt food properly and how to prepare it are important, how to make rather than buy; the buscraft things of shelter, warmth, water, food, really understanding these and how to do them for yourself. And being with a group of sharing folk. Knowing, nous, gumption and wisdom will work - shed-fulls of tins wont :). I agree about the "showing off" too :rolleyes:

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I agree she didn't have a clue. But I never saw the knife antwhere near her throat. She did scare hell out of me by wrapping her hand around the sheath to draw it (a sharp knife could have cut through the sheath and taken her fingers off)

Go to 34.20 on the video when she draws it. I'm assuming the correct way to draw that knife would be to pull then lift slightly like a diving knife, but she pulls fails then raises it up to quite high on her chest and pulls really hard with no control, so that when the knife comes out the chest her hand swings back with the blade in hand.

I just despair at her calling it her "commando knife" and how she "feels tough with it"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Go to 34.20 on the video when she draws it. I'm assuming the correct way to draw that knife would be to pull then lift slightly like a diving knife, but she pulls fails then raises it up to quite high on her chest and pulls really hard with no control, so that when the knife comes out the chest her hand swings back with the blade in hand.

I just despair at her calling it her "commando knife" and how she "feels tough with it"

Yeah I watched it. Still nothing wrong other than wrapping her hand round the sheath. Granted she was clumsy about it also but that in and of itself is just a sign she needs practice.

And no, knives usually don't have retention sheaths requiring a certain draw like LEO hangun holsters do.

And yes I agree she's ditzy and not just because of calling it a "commando knife" and feeling tough with it. Although that does definitely add to it.

Last edited:

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
And no, knives usually don't have retention sheaths requiring a certain draw like LEO hangun holsters do.
Most diving knives have a system where you pull part way then lift and pull the rest as a safety feature to prevent it being accidently drawn. I wouldn't have been surprised if some military type knives had a similar system but perhaps not. I just thought it might be that way as it only seemed to come out when she pulled up.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Most diving knives have a system where you pull part way then lift and pull the rest as a safety feature to prevent it being accidently drawn. .

Small detail, you probably meant the same thing: Dive knives have retainers to stop them being lost/falling out. For two reasons, 1: its an emergency tool to cut entanglements and 2: you dont want sharp edges out of control next to breathing hoses/bcd/drysuits (and of course 3, no one wants to lose a knife).

I found the programme laughable, but then its car crash TV, designed to attract lots of interest in the 'wierdos' and reassure the masses that they're normal.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most diving knives have a system where you pull part way then lift and pull the rest as a safety feature to prevent it being accidently drawn. I wouldn't have been surprised if some military type knives had a similar system but perhaps not. I just thought it might be that way as it only seemed to come out when she pulled up.

That wasn't a real military knife she had. But in any case no, most military knives don't have a reatiner. However many military bayonet sheaths do have a "sel sharpener" which grips a little more tightly as it rubs the edge as the bayonet is drawn and replaced. Most of the military knives I'm familiar with (USMC Kabar, USAF Pilot's Survival Knife, Sykes-Fairbairn Commando Dagger, the MOD Survival Knife, etc.) all just have an ordinary leather sheath or an aftermarket cordura one.

Last edited:

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
The knife she had looked a bit like the Gerber LMF in black.

67-1205-head.jpg

From the picture, it looks like it has a retention clip and it looked like she made a bit of a hash of trying to draw it. I was watching the episode with my family and they were all cringing watching her...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Any woman who describes "lube" as a survival necessity better be talking about chainsaw chain oil in my opinion ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE