Preperation board

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
You guys are always talking about this great stuff you cook when you're out, stews etc. But what do you prepare it all on, I'm thinking of making a small chopping board for this, but what do you use??
Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheap, lightweight cutting boards from Ikea :) Red for dead stuff and white for everything else ..........less than a £ each too :cool:

I do have wooden ones, which I do prefer but I know they're less hygenic and they weigh more too.

cheers,
Toddy

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Same as Wayland,prep at home then use a split log.Nothing wrong with woodsmoke or wood flavouring in food.Generally if you cook it properly ,you'll kill all the nasties anyway.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
I use a jamie oliver cheeseboard that I got for xmas one year
Similiar size to the one Ray Mears carved out of sweet chestnut in the 4 seasons episode of Bushcraft.
I take an small antibacterial spray bottle with me if I'm in fixed camp.
Its a bit heavy but makes prepping food more enjoyable in the field and looks nicer than white plastic.
I'd recommend taking a small wooden one if weight isnt a massive issue and you will have lot of food to cook.

Nicolas

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Wood has been used for hundreds of years and we've survived:) Best to wet it before use.

Plastic is just more junk for land-fill sites, the scratches also can embed bacteria but it can also leach chemicals which cause sterility in men and breast cancer in women.

In both cases, bacteria aren't going to be a much of a problem if it is cleaned and dried afterwards.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No commercial kitchen uses a wooden chopping board, especially for meat.

I'm a firm believer in we all ought to live a little more grubbily, but if I'm feeding other folks I'll be extra careful.

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Wood absorbs bugs n stuff.

Nick
99% of bug can not live for long in conditions that are either too sweet or too acid or too salty. I've used a wooden chopping board all my cooking life and the one I have now is 5 years old. No bugs on it, and no chemicals either. I prep my meat same way as my mother did, and my grand mother before her. Good sharp knife to chop, and a half a hand of damp salt to scrub the board clean. The salt gets into the cuts and a cleans out the gunk and soaks into the surface meaning bugs can not grow. My gran used to do the same on on her kitchen table till the surface was more salt than wood.

wood has been used for a thousand years or more, plastic a couple of decades, who knows what they will say about plastic in a 100 years or so:yikes:

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
99% of bug can not live for long in conditions that are either too sweet or too acid or too salty. I've used a wooden chopping board all my cooking life and the one I have now is 5 years old. No bugs on it, and no chemicals either. I prep my meat same way as my mother did, and my grand mother before her. Good sharp knife to chop, and a half a hand of damp salt to scrub the board clean. The salt gets into the cuts and a cleans out the gunk and soaks into the surface meaning bugs can not grow. My gran used to do the same on on her kitchen table till the surface was more salt than wood.

wood has been used for a thousand years or more, plastic a couple of decades, who knows what they will say about plastic in a 100 years or so:yikes:

Couldn't agree more. Might not get you a pass in the local council food hygiene exam but what the hell. We use wooden boards for everything. Liz tries to keep them separate for different foods, fish, meat, veg etc but I'm not so fussy :rolleyes:

Dave

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
Cheap, lightweight cutting boards from Ikea :) Red for dead stuff and white for everything else

I've used a single cheapo nylon type chopping board for both meat and veg all my life and never poisoned myself or anyone else. I just prep the veg before dealing with the meat and give it a good clean in scalding hot water afterwards.

Wooden chopping boards are lovely but mine are relegated to bread-slicing duty only because they pick up stains horribly.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I tend to prep most of my stuff before I go too but when in need I use the plastic liddy thing that came with my trangia.. ah here;

327559.jpg

light and packs away inside.

Cheers,

Alan

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
For dayhikes, I will often carry a polyboard or poly sheet for food prep.

extreme8f.jpg

sog1b.jpg

For longer stays, I often will make some kind of table.

cuttingboard1e.jpg

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I pre prep as much as possible if I am taking food with me but If I'm preping in the field a split log is nice and clean to work on.

Yup, I'll echo that - prepare before going out. That means meat is chopped and marinaded and put in a placcy bag. For stews you can buy those bags of already chopped veg etc. Keep prep to a minimum. And what prep that does need to be done can either be done straight into the pot or on to a bag or bit of wood or something.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I prefer wood, But if walking and doing simple prep, a tuperware lid cut to the internal rim of my billy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE