Preperation board

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Some commercial kitchens have started using wooden boards again, they have found they are no less hygienic than plastic, infact sometimes more hygienic. It is the enviromental health that push the different colours for different things, i have worked in kitchens for over ten years and each year the regulations just get more ridiculous.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That really surprises me, I have friends who are chefs and they won't even consider a wooden handles knife in their kitchens let alone cutting boards.
I do use wooden ones, but as I said, when I'm prepping for other folks.....

cheers,
Toddy

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
As far as I know butchers still have end grained beech block cutting tables to work on in therer shop's, can you imagine walking into a butcher shop with bright red work tops LOL:lmao: . I saw them using that salt sterilising thing on the tudor farm kitchen. Robin Wood said something about this once, they did research some where that proves that plastic is often worse than woood for chopping board's, the tiny shreds on the plastic surfcae allows bacteria to build up, some wood are naturally anti bacterial apparently.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Like others, I prep as much as possible before I set off.

I recently bought some of these...
x-bowl.jpg

... for when i take the kids camping.

They fold flat, and are stored inside my 16cm Zebra billy. The bottom is designed to be used as a cutting board.

If car camping, I take a large box with all my kitchen equipment in, which includes a full sized, plastic, chopping board.

Simon

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Thanks Inthewids,
Nicked this bit from his link as I cannot find the one I wanted...
"Wood has some advantages over plastic in that it is somewhat self healing; shallow cuts in the wood will close up on their own. Wood also has natural anti-septic properties.[1]"

Plastic will trap nasties to be released later when cut into. There is a site with a much better argument for the use of wood over plastic that I cannot find at the mo' ( lost link when lappie died).
Indeed if you are worried about useing wood why use wooden spoons for cooking and eating? They are sealed in similar ways and washed in similar ways.
Last word... Wood is good, plastic enviromentaly not so chic!
Fraxinus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE