Preparing your car for winter!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
That wee nip in the air gets me thinking about those bad winters we had a few years back, not that I'm a worry wort or anything like that, it was just a royal pain ! I pretty much resign to the fact that if I was caught out stuck or anything I would be ok sleeping in the car! however it was my wife that got stuck a few years back and I would like to chuck a holdall or something in the boot "just in case" with necessary wee bits and pieces.

Now where do I start? I have a few ideas but would appreciate anything else

The car (already acquired)
Winter Tyres
Snow Shovel
Heavily concentrated washer fluid

The bag
Blanket
Gloves
Hat
Some sort of warming non perishable food
Magazine or book
Torch
Boots (she always wears heels)

Last edited by a moderator:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
A good start mate,
i would always add a flask of water (even just a water bottle) and i always keep a homemade nitelite stove*** with plenty of candles (just remember to keep a window open!).
A large sheet of cardboard and a small bag of grit (or cat litter) is a good idea for those extra slick roads or tyre socks.
*** the nitelite stove is an old catering tin with a couple of bits for wire through the middle to support a regular tin (filled with water) and 3 nitelite candles in the base (either that or a small gas stove).
i always go a bit overboard mind, having been stuck in the snow in the Yukon in January, Brrrrrrrrrr!
ensuring the car car has a phone charger though is a good plan and also that she knows how to get her position on a sat nav or phone using lat and long. even if it means nothing to her, to you or the emergency services, it is a good reference.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
How about a "Pick and Mix" from this lot...

Auto Socks/ Snow Chains
Shovel
Jump Leads
De-icer/ Scraper
Winter Windscreenwash
Spare Clothes
Hat
Gloves

Shemagh
Boots
Blankets/ Sleeping Bag
stove and hexiblocks/ Gas stove
Cups
Pan
Cutlery
Tea/coffee
Biscuits
Chocolate
Cup a soup
Water- how do I prevent it from freezing?
Spare fuel
Torch/ Windup or battery
Spare torch batteries
Strobe Light
Tealights
Matches and
Lighter
Medicines
Book or something to keep you entertained
Wind-up radio
Pee bottle
Cling film
Toilet paper/tissues
Wipes
Nappy/dog poo bags
Handheld CB
Hot water bottle
Sunglasses

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Just a sensible reminder Rik...

Repetition, repetition, repetition is often the case, shall we have a look at how often we have said "Lest we forget" every November on the forums?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Often a blanket hung over the front and rear passenger doors can give a bit of privacy for the Lady folk...:thinkerg:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Phone charger is indeed vital.

Autosocks or chains, shovels, snow ladders et al are only useful if she is willing to practice fitting them and know how / when to use them.

Beyond that - the means to let people know where she is, and how to make herself safe and comfortable is what matters. Warm clothes, a blanket, a means to communicate, a means to have something to eat and drink, something to entertain herself in the many hours until rescue. I keep some old DVDs in the car to watch on the satnav / DVD player - plus a book if I'm worried about the battery. Being stranded in the dark on a lonely road is scary. Pulling into a layby, having a hot drink, a warm blanket, a good book and knowing that people know where you are is far less worrying.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Couldn't help myself...

detail-111228.jpg

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
It's that time of year when I check that my locking diffs still work, the winch still functions and time to change the M&S (mud & snow) tyres for my winter tyres. Landrover is coming out of his summer hibernation, time to put the Toyota to bed.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Start looking out for the Lidl screenwash, rated to -60 or thereabouts. I use it neat during the winter and I'm glad to say, it's never frozen :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE