Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I'm not too worried about it myself, I don't think it's an iminant scenario, but it dawned on me, unless you were actualy listening to the radio or watching TV, you probably wouldn't know a thing about it, and for those in the hit zone, panic would only last a few minutes, and it wouldn't matter how fast you moved, it would be useless.
I'm just wondering how, with massive infrastructure destruction, and the resultant panic of the rest, what plans any area has, or is Britain just going to do a titanic impression. :)
Do we know what to do?
Are medications in place in your area?
I do know our local chemist has no potassium iodide in stock and not planning to get any, ( and I am aware of its limited use.)
I'm just curious as to what local areas have planned. I shall be contacting both my local and county to ask them what they have in place so that hopefully, I can be prepared for myself and able to help others...providing I'm not vaporised!
People should be prepared to a point, and to at least know whether they are on their own or not.
I'm not having a massive wobble about it, but it came up in conversation with another friend, who asked me what would happen here, should the worst happen. I had no idea.

Unfortunately I don't think the mass public would be subject to such 'plans' for safety or warnings.

I just think that the way we are told information by the upper echelon, they already have their contingency information, and therefore people in the 'know' or of any significance will already be catered for and the rest of us left like you said - the titanic, all captains of our sinking ships.

I just have no faith in any other scenario.
No warnings, no help, no handouts until its needed and then maybe radio broadcasted information.
Infrastructure damage will certainly hinder our communications.

Potassium Iodide will certainly be difficult to aquire for the average person in the current circumstances- countries have been stockpiling it in the last few months.

I may be completely wrong, any others in certain sectors may know otherwise, but that's just my opinion.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Unfortunately I don't think the mass public would be subject to such 'plans' for safety or warnings.

I just think that the way we are told information by the upper echelon, they already have their contingency information, and therefore people in the 'know' or of any significance will already be catered for and the rest of us left like you said - the titanic, all captains of our sinking ships.

I just have no faith in any other scenario.
No warnings, no help, no handouts until its needed and then maybe radio broadcasted information.
Infrastructure damage will certainly hinder our communications.

Potassium Iodide will certainly be difficult to aquire for the average person in the current circumstances- countries have been stockpiling it in the last few months.

I may be completely wrong, any others in certain sectors may know otherwise, but that's just my opinion.

I pretty much agree, there will be no help for anyone for goodness knows how long...if at all!
Hospitals are already boogered, and will be overwhelmed. Communication will be negligible .
I think I've made up my mind that those in the blast zone will be having the best of it.
I'm lucky enough to be on meds that could give me a quick exit, as I'd not want to be struggling to survive with my present health in such a world, let alone with further complications, so I'm not over concerned for myself. But there are many who, with the right info, and knowledge to aid decisions, rather than just panic mode, could be saved from unessasary problems.
I havnt seen Tom Linden for a while who is an expert on these matters, and I can't seem to contact him otherwise I'd be asking him!
Anyway, the replies are interesting, seems nobody realy knows anything for sure. We are just trying to piece it together for ourselves with little real info.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Potassium iodine tablets are widely available. They're sold for thyroid health.
eBay has loads, 120 x 150 (keyboard doesn't have the symbol, sorry) standard micro units, for under £4 delivered.

Nuclear 'worry' sites recommend and third of one tablet per day....no idea if that dosage is right, but I just had a quick google, out of curiosity.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Potassium iodine tablets are widely available. They're sold for thyroid health.
eBay has loads, 120 x 150 (keyboard doesn't have the symbol, sorry) standard micro units, for under £4 delivered.

Nuclear 'worry' sites recommend and third of one tablet per day....no idea if that dosage is right, but I just had a quick google, out of curiosity.

Also, it's not recommended for those over 40 yrs of age, so that's a fair few of the population.
I can't remember the adult dose exactly, somewhere around 135 mg, I do remember child dose is 65mg, and a baby half that, but over 40 yrs its said it can cause more problems than it can help in a healthy adult.
That's as far as my research got.
I do know of someone localy who bought iodine liquid and was rubbing a few drops a day on their hands to protect themselves from a sudden bang. Iodine kills healthy cells too so their hands were a mass of sores. I had to explain to them, that they were over 40 and their method was useless at filling their thyroid, it wouldn't protect them from other forms of radiation and to stop right away!
There are a lot of wacky ideas out there!
I'm told that after chernobyle, children were fed apple juice with effective results, something to do with pectin. Haven't researched that further yet, so don't quote me, but it might be a golden nugget.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
After Chernobyl went up our children were kept indoors and not fed fresh milk for a couple of months until it was cleared.

The iodine tablets are simply the stuff that is included in iodised salt. If you eat enough seaweed apparently there are no problems.
I like seaweed :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Mmmm, from store cupboards to nuclear annihilation.

Going back to more simple preparation I've been wondering what I need to do to help my elderly mum with the possibility of rolling powercuts. She has most things sorted and should be able to cope for the couple of hours the predicted cuts will last but I expect if it gets very cold we may see more frequent and longer lasting cuts.

The main problem is my mum has bad arthritis so struggles with many things. I'm not sure any stove/kettle would be safe to use. The best I can think of is one of those gas cartridge / suitcase stoves, anyone have a better suggestion?

So far I've picked up a box of those self heating pads and I'm currently looking for a few sensible battery lanterns, something easy to use and something that gives of a usable amount of light.

Anything else to consider?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seriously, as I sit here in pain with arthritis, make it easy to keep herself warm.

Check that she has lightweight ladies thermals. Easy to put on, easy to wear, easy to wash, and they keep the core warm.

Small quilts, warmer than throws, called lap quilts, about 4' square, are a comfortable thing when one is sitting down. They can fold into cushion covers (attached ones are called Quillows), so her home won't end up looking like a bedroom, but she'll have comfortable warmth right at hand.
I've a velvet one over my aching knees and hips right this minute :) It keeps the joints warm, and that really does ease the ache.

The suitcase stoves are brilliant :) I have two.
They are easy to use, safe, stable, take a pot or small kettle without any problem. They have a built in flint thing so they don't need matches or a lighter. Well worth the money, and they go away tidily again when not needed.
You can also buy a grill rack for them (mine cost three quid) that makes toast too :)
They also heat up the room.
A decent jug flask, like the kind caterers use for coffee at conferences, etc., is a really useful thing. It pours much more easily than an ordinary one if she has problems with her hands. Just boil the kettle and pour it into the flask, and it's ready hot water if the power goes off.

On that note though, maybe a selection of 'just add hot water' type easy eating foods might not go amiss. From soup to instant potato pots and noodles. It's not food/food, but it's an easy warm meal in minutes.

I bought packs of those little battery powered touch lights for cupboards, and they're in every room. Great when going to the loo in the middle of the night and not wanting a bright/bright light, just enough light, iimmc ?

Ikea sell a very tidy plug in battery charger set. Simplicity itself. Does both AA and AAA.

A battery powered radio might be a good thing too ? We have wind up ones but I know that doing the winding would leave my wrists and elbows aching, so I leave that to Son2.

Last thing, hot water bottles are brilliant :) Make sure they have thick covers so that they give off the heat slowly.
A wee cosy nest of hot water bottle and quilts and a couple of hours of power cut won't be a bother :) Hopefully :)

Reactions: slowworm

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
The self heating pads, have you got the rechargeable ones that you pop in a pad of water or the use once then throw away? I was looking at the battery chargeable ones for warming my fingers up when doing fiddly outdoor work, has anyone used them?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have a couple that J. brought home from Japan. They just plug into a usb port to recharge.
They're good for about an hour at most....but then so are the little clicker gel ones.
Those last forever though. I have some that I've used for about ten years now. Just put them into a pan, slowly bring it up to a boil, turn off the heat and let them cool down in the water. Very nice in a pocket for hands on a cold day :)

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I realy like my down sleeping bag over my knees in the evening. I've also knitted some wrist warmers to keep my hands warm. Good warm long wool socks and cosy sheepskin slippers are a must for those older persons who don't move so much to keep feet and legs warm.

Reactions: swyn and Toddy

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
For an older person:
- warm clothes including a woolly hat and thick socks
- suitcase cooker and spare cartridges
- large bottles of water
- plenty of tinned goods - pre prepped soups, beans, stews etc
- a manual tin opener with good leverage handles
- matches and lighters
- large candles
- LED work lamp, battery powered but mains rechargeable
- a few packs of Hot Hands single use hand warmers. Very comforting.

….Anyway, that’s what we’ve got in.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Toddy,
Look at "Rollerbolt night latches", they're effectively the same as a nightlatch except they won't automatically lock, you need to purposely lock them when you leave/lock them at night.
I've found them really convenient to avoid the age old *door slam*..... "OH B******S!"

Regarding the nuclear shtuff... I'm in Plymouth.. probably well and truly screwed :lol:

However, should I somehow find myself not screwed, the process will be "grab all that I want/need Inc wife, doggo, food, water and a few bits, straight into van and out of here.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've bought a box of the Hot Hands warmers for my mum as I'm not sure she could reactivate the ones you boil (I've also had trouble reactivating those). I'm also not keen on candles as she's prone to falling asleep.

I've used one of those suitcase/gas cartridge cookers for years, I normally wait until autumn and pick up cartridges cheaply but this year the prices have gone up. I will get a spare for my mum but I'm not sure she'll be able to use it.

Thankfully she eats her main not meal at midday so not much need to cook in the evening but I'll see if she has a flask and perhaps sort out a hot water bottle. Good idea about a blanket of two, I'll suggest she keeps a couple handy.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I've bought a box of the Hot Hands warmers for my mum as I'm not sure she could reactivate the ones you boil (I've also had trouble reactivating those). I'm also not keen on candles as she's prone to falling asleep.

I've used one of those suitcase/gas cartridge cookers for years, I normally wait until autumn and pick up cartridges cheaply but this year the prices have gone up. I will get a spare for my mum but I'm not sure she'll be able to use it.

Thankfully she eats her main not meal at midday so not much need to cook in the evening but I'll see if she has a flask and perhaps sort out a hot water bottle. Good idea about a blanket of two, I'll suggest she keeps a couple handy.
Go Outdoors have a sort of deal on for the 220g gas cartridges: 2x 4-packs for £14.

Go Outdoors linky

Cheers, Bob

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've just picked up two bits of kit from the local charity shop. One is a hot smoker, and the other is a round camping oven that is supposed to be used on top of a gas burner, suitable for camping and caravanning it says on the box. Looks quite old, will have to give it a go at the weekend on my double burner camping gaz stove . It wouldn't be big enough for anything bigger than a fray bentos pie, (yerk!)
But, it might bake a small cake, or pie or heat a ready meal.
It has a thermometer on the outside, so should have some idea of temperature.
Total cost of £12.50 for them both, so on the smoker alone, that's worth the price.
It's important to test stuff before you need to rely on it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The only nuclear fleet is there. Well the only documented and known location, so a holiday there at the same time isn't so appealing. Pretty close to some key oil rigs as well.

Again, just my thought but IMO things will be done to create a humanitarian crisis. Divert resources and efforts elsewhere, not make it gone forever and uninhabitable.

It's a beautiful bit of the world down the Clyde lochs. It's has been 'touristy' since early Victorian times.
The area is still very much widely used for leisure. It is literally on the shores of one of the major rivers in lowland Scotland and on the doorstep of the biggest city in Scotland.

You can see why most Scots don't want the damned nukes there though.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@Toddy, yeah the locks I was describing here don't automatically lock. Locking them has to be a deliberate action. That said, I understand your reluctance. Regarding the siting of the nuclear fleets I suspect that decision was made back in the day: back during the full Cold War when the philosophy was M.A.D. and nobody really believed any nuclear exchange would occur unless both sides were ready for a full nuclear holocost anyway.

As for any recovery or survival plans by the government I have no current knowledge at all except that I'm sure they have something planned (whether those plans are any good or not is equally unkowable) I do remember just before I left the UK in 1989, as the Cold War was just starting to thaw, they did release the obsolete plan to the BBC. I don't remember much about it accept the part where when deciding how to prioritize rationing and importance doctors were low on the list while nurses and emergency medical personnel were near the top. I believe the reasoning was that in the aftermath doctors would be of little use without the infrastructure while nurses and EMTs are much more capable with limited resources.

Regarding the iodine tablets offered online I'm skeptical. there's definitely a rush on that market at the moment and who knows what unscrupulous entrepeneurs are taking advantage selling placebos.

Regarding the "We're all toast" train of thought that's really more complicated than it sounds. As has been pointed out not everybody would be killed by a blast on limited strategic targets nor by the ensuing fallout. However the real questions are would there4 really be only such limited strikes. Who believes that a nuclear strike on any NATO country wouldn't trigger retaliatory strikes and escalation to full global nuclear war? even surviving the war itself would leave any of us in a completely different world that might not recover at all. Definitely not for decades at the very minimum. And that's just the physical recovery before you account for the anguish of losing vast numbers of friends and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE