Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good job world powers & leaders ( with no possible other hidden agenda ) are good at de-escalating potential global flashpoints to nuclear status through understanding and clear political communication.

I mean, remember that time the Soviets wanted to put some Nukes on Cuba ( a sovereign non bordering island nation ) and Liberty loving America got super ars-ey about it??

Good job we no longer live in those times of tempting fate by rubbing your neighbours nose in something they don't like..

< Oh.. >

Reactions: Nice65

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It was a Russian made missile, who launched it is the distraction.
That is about it!

The one factoid that is the other problem is that the basic S300 ground-to-air missile has a self destruct mechanism to prevent situations just like this and a limited range and no impact fuse. Russia has been using newer versions with extended ranges for ground-to-ground targeting that almost by definition have impact fuses and no self destruct.

So the Ukrainians have fairly good technical reasons for at least questioning.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, Canadian prepper had a video out of it with millions of views, so racking up the fear factor, and selling more of his expensive prepper gear to the scared and gullible.
I didn't watch it, just waited for it to arrive within a few hours of the news ..bingo, there he was.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ouch, bought lots of multifuel burner coal for the winter during the summer as it had not gone down from last years winter prices, so I got as much as I could fit into the storage area, which is not enough to see me through the winter, Having used a couple of bags in the past few weeks I decided to order some more. Pheewee! Now £16 delivered per 25kg bag. I was paying £13 in the summer, and £9 the winter before .
Almost double, and that's the cheapest I can find. I could be paying £20 a bag and that's without delivery.
Always pays to shop around.
It's still cheaper than the central heating, even though the house is about 5° cooler with just the one heat source.
I know it's not ecco burning stuff, but I have no choice, I cannot afford the central heating this year, without debt, and I've been debt free for a long time, don't want to go down that route ever again.
Everytime I feel cold, I thank God I'm not suffering like those in Ukraine with no heat, water or light in temperatures far colder than here. Though with snow and freezing temperatures predicted in the next week or so, and this country has already issued and then stood down at last minute a powercut for the grid , I think we are going to have to be thinking ahead and making sure we are well prepared.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So I have been over to the Netherlands recently, and have been talking to some German friends too. They were talking about electricity demand and planned outages, has there main electric production is based on natural gas.

Currently planned power outages will be 2 hours per day, not yet undertaken, but soon.

So with our government not really thinking about power saving, I think we will be having surprise power outages to look forward to, over winter.....

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The government have just cancelled a planned power outages at the last minute this week. We were very close and apparently it was skin of teeth.
If this is happening so early on in this so far, fairly mild winter, heaven knows what will happen when it gets colder and darker, so more power is needed.
We are still exporting power to France instead of using it ourselves. Madness.
Putting a windfall tax on clean(ie solar/wind power) is also crazy. It just means they will turn off turbines and stop producing if they get anywhere near the tax threshold so as not to pay it. Leaving us with not enough power, and outages.
I'm at a loss as to why those in power are procrastinating so much, this should have been high priority for months .
Water, wind and solar should be able to provide the UK with most of its needs and could easily do so. In fact there have been days when almost 100% of needed energy has been renewable. Admittedly not all the time, but it would be much cheaper and quicker to build on what we have already, rather than rely on imported stuff. Should have been a priority this summer to expand, but they tried to put a block on it, and many mp's are revolting...( :) ) over this block and calling for expansion .
The nimbys need to ask themselves if they want a view to die for, or heating so they don't!

Reactions: gra_farmer

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Some eu countries have advised citizens to prepare for power outages and food shortages,with the advice to keep a few days/weeks supply.

Apparently the UK population has reduced its energy consumption since October by 10% (due to rising costs).
With more people falling behind on payments, and pre payment meters being installed at an alarming rate (with a higher unit cost VS being on direct debit), I can forsee a mass amount of people possibly not being able to afford to put money on the meter, let alone worry about the lack of utilities through an outage.

I can see a lot of changes to friends and families 'regular' demand habits.
Some are already mentioning only able to afford to run the washing machine on a cycle or 2 a week, considering turning off the freezer, no longer using the kettle as much or a hairdryer,and I would say these are working class/some get extra help if not working enough hours kind of people (the average person).

Unfortunately it would of been great to of seen something done in terms of a u-turn on the stance for renewable energy by the powers above before we hit this point- feels like a sinking ship.

With April only being around the corner, and the increase in costs rumoured again something needs to be done before it's a case of utilities will cost more than an also increasing mortgage/rent payment

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm being a real energy miser! If am using more than in the summer(so far anyway) I'd be quite suprised.
The next few months might change things though, being colder, and darker.
So far managing without central heating, which is annoying as I've only had it fitted a couple of years ago, and I was just getting used to more comfortable, less painful winters.
Such is life, one step forward, two backwards!

Reactions: Decacraft

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I'm being a real energy miser! If am using more than in the summer(so far anyway) I'd be quite suprised.
The next few months might change things though, being colder, and darker.
So far managing without central heating, which is annoying as I've only had it fitted a couple of years ago, and I was just getting used to more comfortable, less painful winters.
Such is life, one step forward, two backwards!
Unfortunately, again an example I'm afraid to hear of- but ultimately the impacts of this have been highlighted quite recently in the media.
Rising cases of damp and mould on the horizon? Black lung?

It's such a situation that for one of the wealthiest countries to be in. I'm not sure what was to be expected when all the money was spent,and has turned into a debt, instead of funding infrastructure that would only generate revenue.

One would only hope that someone who relies on a state benefit/pension would be able to at least eat, heat and sleep in comfort and not be so worried. I see a family member in a very similar situation and I can see the stress and effect it has on them.

Reactions: Woody girl

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We don't use enough of these in the UK.
Dehumidifiers, desiccant ones like Meaco Zambezi, will take excess moisture out of your home, and give out heat. The heat coming out is about 10˚C warmer than the air around. We find them cheap to run, definitely cost effective, and they stop mould growing.
67% humidity is the level at which mould can grow. A moisture meter costs about a pound to check.

Folks are buying oil filled radiators, stoves, etc., while a big issue here is damp, especially in Winter, and especially where people try to save money by drying clothes indoors.
I reckon they'd be better buying a dehumidifier and using it properly.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Unfortunately, again an example I'm afraid to hear of- but ultimately the impacts of this have been highlighted quite recently in the media.
Rising cases of damp and mould on the horizon? Black lung?

It's such a situation that for one of the wealthiest countries to be in. I'm not sure what was to be expected when all the money was spent,and has turned into a debt, instead of funding infrastructure that would only generate revenue.

One would only hope that someone who relies on a state benefit/pension would be able to at least eat, heat and sleep in comfort and not be so worried. I see a family member in a very similar situation and I can see the stress and effect it has on them.
I am lucky enough to have a multi fuel burner, so I'm managing to keep temperatures in the house fairly constant so far. It's the emptying of ashes, laying lighting tending and hauling of logs and coal that are doing my knees and back a disfavour!
One hot meal a day, soup or stew. Making it in the slow cooker and reheating portions on the camp stove.
Crumpets and toast on the fire.

I've lived off grid in my younger days, so have the skills and fortitude that will keep me going, even if it's more difficult nowadays than it used to be.

I worry for frailer and less able people. Most living in old people's bungalows round here, are all electric and have no alternatives to heat or cook. No warm space has been set up for them and apparently won't be, despite having a community hall that could be used. I've offered to provide hot home made soups for free if one is set up, but nobody wants to do it, and I'm told health and safety won't allow me to provide soup from my own kitchen as its not certified, and I don't have a hygiene certification.
For heavens sake! You'd think I was offering a cauldron of frogs and toads, rather than a healthy nutritional meal !
I think we are going to see lots of new tennents by spring.
I'm quietly steaming about this attitude. But experience tells me it's pointless trying to push the issue.
What a sad state of affairs. :(

Reactions: gra_farmer

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
So the world is a changing place and all of those preppers seem to make sence now

For the rest of us mere mortals, what collective advice can you impart on preparing for possible unfortunate circumstances.

Lists of kit and items welcome

Cheers Gra
Ok, back to the OP… buy a little extra of the things that have a long shelf life and you will be sure to use. Don’t go crazy and break the bank, the idea is to take advantage of multi buy deals and discounts as they present themselves and put a little bit away..building up over a long period of time and always using the oldest products first to rotate out old stock.
Pay down debt if you’re able to and if not able to pay down debt at least try not to incur more pointless debt over Christmas. There are two main phases of reacting to a disaster, resilience and recovery.
All the kit in the world won’t help if you don’t know how to use it so keep it simple. An adequate supply of drinking water. An alternative method of cooking and heating water for drinks such as a camping stove, fuel, some torches and an electric lantern, warm clothing as well as any critical medication. I don’t realistically expect that any of you will be bugging out of your homes, the usual advice is to Shelter In Place but in case you’re forced to leave your home prepared copies of documents, address books, certificates, insurance policies and household inventories on the cloud, USB sticks or hard discs that you can carry in a wallet or purse can help with the recovery phase of any disaster.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Ok, back to the OP… buy a little extra of the things that have a long shelf life and you will be sure to use. Don’t go crazy and break the bank, the idea is to take advantage of multi buy deals and discounts as they present themselves and put a little bit away..building up over a long period of time and always using the oldest products first to rotate out old stock.
Pay down debt if you’re able to and if not able to pay down debt at least try not to incur more pointless debt over Christmas. There are two main phases of reacting to a disaster, resilience and recovery.
All the kit in the world won’t help if you don’t know how to use it so keep it simple. An adequate supply of drinking water. An alternative method of cooking and heating water for drinks such as a camping stove, fuel, some torches and an electric lantern, warm clothing as well as any critical medication. I don’t realistically expect that any of you will be bugging out of your homes, the usual advice is to Shelter In Place but in case you’re forced to leave your home prepared copies of documents, address books, certificates, insurance policies and household inventories on the cloud, USB sticks or hard discs that you can carry in a wallet or purse can help with the recovery phase of any disaster.
Now since before Brexit, we have been creating a stock pile of food and some resources, which really helped when COVID hit us, and getting food was difficult.

Since then, I have stepped things up a little and have about 6 months worth of food, 2 day supply of water and locations of water sources around me (surface and groundwater).

Fuel, solar power (still waiting on a battery, and need to get on the roof to setup the solar panels), a power station for directly in the house, wool bedding and blankets, etc.

And worse case, a caravan as our microclimate home....but still I feel something is missing.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Now since before Brexit, we have been creating a stock pile of food and some resources, which really helped when COVID hit us, and getting food was difficult.

Since then, I have stepped things up a little and have about 6 months worth of food, 2 day supply of water and locations of water sources around me (surface and groundwater).

Fuel, solar power (still waiting on a battery, and need to get on the roof to setup the solar panels), a power station for directly in the house, wool bedding and blankets, etc.

And worse case, a caravan as our microclimate home....but still I feel something is missing.

I think you have done a great deal more than some, and should feel more relaxed about it.
There is a lot of anxiety about things that are happening and it gives you that awful pit of the stomach feeling, that you need to do more.
Planning a veg garden, and preparing raised beds or containers or a plot of land, if you don't already do that. A greenhouse is a good idea too.
If you have the ability for that, then you are lucky.
I'm collecting books on things like chicken keeping, old time skills like dairying, making cheese etc. The John Seymour book is a good starting point.
Time to relax a bit, concentrate on keeping warm and fed, and stop worrying.
What will happen, will happen. People always cope and get through somehow. I remember the 70s and we even had petrol rationing then. We had no double glazing, water running down the bedroom walls, and windows, one warm room in the house, and freezing cold winters.
I worked hard and bought a house in the 80's, lost that in the crash, I've been homeless more than once, lost just about all I had, but it taught me a lot, and believe me, you'll get through just fine.
Stop worrying, but just keep building on what you have done. Aim for as much self sufficiency as possible. But remember, in the end your efforts will be worth their weight, when others are wailing about their lack of preparedness, instead of doing something about it.
Pay down any debt, and don't rack up any more. Save a bit if you can. Be frugal.
Well done so far. You will be fine. :)

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales

I think you’ve got a lot of bases covered, we also used up a lot of stored food during the shortages of covid and we were very thankful that we had some put by.

Reactions: Decacraft

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I think you have done a great deal more than some, and should feel more relaxed about it.
There is a lot of anxiety about things that are happening and it gives you that awful pit of the stomach feeling, that you need to do more.
Planning a veg garden, and preparing raised beds or containers or a plot of land, if you don't already do that. A greenhouse is a good idea too.
If you have the ability for that, then you are lucky.
I'm collecting books on things like chicken keeping, old time skills like dairying, making cheese etc. The John Seymour book is a good starting point.
Time to relax a bit, concentrate on keeping warm and fed, and stop worrying.
What will happen, will happen. People always cope and get through somehow. I remember the 70s and we even had petrol rationing then. We had no double glazing, water running down the bedroom walls, and windows, one warm room in the house, and freezing cold winters.
I worked hard and bought a house in the 80's, lost that in the crash, I've been homeless more than once, lost just about all I had, but it taught me a lot, and believe me, you'll get through just fine.
Stop worrying, but just keep building on what you have done. Aim for as much self sufficiency as possible. But remember, in the end your efforts will be worth their weight, when others are wailing about their lack of preparedness, instead of doing something about it.
Pay down any debt, and don't rack up any more. Save a bit if you can. Be frugal.
Well done so far. You will be fine. :)
I’ve been running a small holding for the past 15 years and would like to point out that book learning of even the basics like chicken keeping is no substitute for experience. The best way to learn is to offer a little help at a farm, sometimes a farmer will welcome another pair of hands (especially on a less mechanised holding) and are amazed that anyone shows an interest… a bit of company and a spare pair of hands during lambing will always be welcome. Farming is pretty solitary at times. There is a program run for Willing Workers On Organic Farms where it’s part time work for bed and board, you can learn a lot in this way. https://wwoof.org.uk/en/

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've kept chickens, and rented a small holding at one point in my life, I've worked on dairy farms and veg producing farms. So I have some knowledge, though one can never remember everything, so books are a good back up.
The week before lockdown, I did a massive shop and got ridiculed at the amount of stuff I'd bought. I had been minni stockpiling stuff such as loo rolls, bleach and hand gel since covid was first mentioned. It was obvious to me, that with the amount of international travel we had something bad was about to happen. Call it intuition if you like.
I calmly prepared as I knew it was gonna be serious for me if I got it.
Locked myself down a week early. It felt right.
Everyone else was soon struggling to get delivery slots and worrying about things.
Being prepared gave me peace of mind, and I got through just fine... if a bit lonely.
It feels a bit like that now. Prep camly and steadily, and keep stocking up on food bargains when you see them, don't buy stuff unessisarily, and focus on your needs, rather than wants.
As long as you pay rent/mortgage, and council tax, then all else can be modified to what you can afford if you have enough ingenuity.
Charity shops are your best friend!

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I think you’ve got a lot of bases covered, we also used up a lot of stored food during the shortages of covid and we were very thankful that we had some put by.

Did the very same here, taken a while to get the stock cupboard back to what it was, and now I'm thinking of adding at least 2 thirds more in at the current prices now they are climbing steadily.

I wouldnt like to think of what kind of position many of us would of been in without doing so.

I did pick up a gas soldering iron, some plugs, fuses, wago connectors and crimp connectors and some small reels of cable for appliances, if they need to be fixed in the future or something needs to be rigged up. Gone in the box with the nails, screw and other fixings just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE