Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@Toddy I guess I'm lucky regarding house locks. Mine only require a key from the outside; they can be locked and unlocked from the inside by a simple twist of the knob. You're absolutely correct, you need to be able to escape easily as well.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We used to use those Yale locks on wooden doors. Most of the ones around here are now uPVC on metal, and the locks are seven point barrel locks and part of the door handle mechanism.
The doors are pretty much water and draught proof :D....which is a blessing really in this climate.
Our old wooden doors shifted in the weather, and when the wind blew it whistled down the hallway :rolleyes2:
I miss changing the colour of the paint at times, but I don't miss the draughts or the puddles when the rain filled wind blew kind of horizontally.

I think being able to get out quickly and safely is at least as important as securing the house from potential intruders.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know that the lock is pretty easy to change, but didn't know that I could get a thumb turn for the inside......I'm slightly reluctant because I mind the hassle if the snib wasn't fully engaged and the door slammed shut in the wind and left folks stuck outside in the garden with no key.
Communal close doors are a pain that way too. Son1 lives in a flat and it's a constant thing to mind to always carry the key.
We only lock the doors at bedtime or if we're all going out.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Might be at cross purposes - the thumb turn just means you don’t need a key in the back. To make the door auto lock (like a Yale) you need a split spindle.
I have the front door lock on closing but the door to the garden needs the key to prevent the lock out you describe.

Most important thing with upvc it to knock the handle up and turn the key - many people think knocking the handle up is enough.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Got you.
I think it'd be more bother than it's worth for me though. We've gardens right round and both doors are in constant use. I'd fret about the blooming snib thing.

It really does snug the door tight into all those lock positions when you push the handle up and turn the key. The draught just stops dead :)

I'm glad we have it though, especially if energy prices keep going up. Insulation becomes a real necessity.

M

Reactions: Wildgoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Got you.
I think it'd be more bother than it's worth for me though. We've gardens right round and both doors are in constant use. I'd fret about the blooming snib thing.

It really does snug the door tight into all those lock positions when you push the handle up and turn the key. The draught just stops dead :)

I'm glad we have it though, especially if energy prices keep going up. Insulation becomes a real necessity.

M
Agree, you can feel the pressure change when you close them - beats the brush draft excluders on my old wooden door hands down.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Here I think most houses have Assa-Abloy locks that have a lever that changes it between closed and locked. Also I have my keys in my pocket all the time just in case I forgot to switch.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our gardens are just outdoor rooms to our houses. To have to mind to lock/unlock/carry key every time I'm in and out would drive me nuts. I've been in and out about eight times so far this morning. That's normal.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My eldest son moved to a flat in Glasgow. Big sandstone tenements with huge rooms, etc., but the flats are all accessed by closes. The closes used to be open but now are all keyed doorways with intercoms to contact residents to open for visitors.
It's fine, unless the resident themselves forgets a key, and goes out, say to help unload stuff from a car...... :rolleyes2:
The back door of the close, the way out to the bins and washing greens, etc., is the same.
Residents get used to it, but hands full of bin bags, washing baskets and the like, and they need to mind the key or the snib every single time.

I don't want to live like that.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I know this may be a contentious thought, at least, when I have brought it up with friends here localy, the reaction I get is don't worry its not gonna happen, or we'll be toast anyway so don't worry.
Does anyone know what the local plans are for nuclear strikes on the UK, in their own area, or the possibility of fallout from strikes elsewhere.? After all, chernobyle had effects on parts of the UK, so it's a possibility even if we are not directly attacked.
I don't want to get into the political scenario, just the practical side of it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, worked out the blast radius and 'dangerous' fall out radius based on most likely hit sites and wind directions. But, let's not start a mass exodus from the cities and industrial areas :)

There's interesting stuff published about radiation plumes, levels of harm etc. on various sites.

And, they're wrong, we won't all be toast.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do. The old Civil Defence had things well worked out.
Shan't say more than that I bitterly disagree with some of 'cost-cutting' excuses used to close them down.

Basically, one bomb down the Clyde, wind blowing as usual, and it'll irradiate 70% of Scotland's population.

Nice siting on the part of the UK (and USA use) nuclear fleet, wasn't it ?

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I know this may be a contentious thought, at least, when I have brought it up with friends here localy, the reaction I get is don't worry its not gonna happen, or we'll be toast anyway so don't worry.
Does anyone know what the local plans are for nuclear strikes on the UK, in their own area, or the possibility of fallout from strikes elsewhere.? After all, chernobyle had effects on parts of the UK, so it's a possibility even if we are not directly attacked.
I don't want to get into the political scenario, just the practical side of it.
All depends on whether its a ground or air blast.

Brutally honest without the correct PPE, testing and measuring equipment (gigacounters and decontamination) I don't think there's a huge chance for most, and a difficult one as the effects of radiation can be very quick.

Best chances are to get hunkered down and stay until there's an all clear.

My thinking again, based on my own research, but we won't get an alert as the general public. Things can happen too quick for it to be a help and not hindering the folks in charge, and creating chaos.
There's a few places in the UK that would be strategic, but that's ultimate endgame.

That's not including the possibility of a 'Petrov' moment, or the complete opposite where a low number are launched and its taken as a fault on the radars and not taken as it should be.

There are ROC posts still around, and it's pretty fun finding them- that's my biggest chance in a total go! now! moment.

Until there's a threat imminent, or within close proximity, we won't be given any information as it will cause undue stress. Closer countries have have some guidance bit they also have more in terms of underground shelters/train stations and general facilities still available from the previous troubling periods.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I do. The old Civil Defence had things well worked out.
Shan't say more than that I bitterly disagree with some of 'cost-cutting' excuses used to close them down.

Basically, one bomb down the Clyde, wind blowing as usual, and it'll irradiate 70% of Scotland's population.

Nice siting on the part of the UK (and USA use) nuclear fleet, wasn't it ?
The only nuclear fleet is there. Well the only documented and known location, so a holiday there at the same time isn't so appealing. Pretty close to some key oil rigs as well.

Again, just my thought but IMO things will be done to create a humanitarian crisis. Divert resources and efforts elsewhere, not make it gone forever and uninhabitable.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Two things to remember - nuclear weapons are extremely expensive and will not be deployed without considerable financial cost to the aggressor; they are unlikely to bomb a 'probably' empty nuclear fleet site; and, despite Russia having over 5,000 nuclear warheads, it's not enough to hit all western industrial cities so very strategic choices will be made.

The radiation burn radius for the tactical warheads (highest number currently in their armoury) is about 15 miles. The decay for severe radiation illness and death effects is measured in hours (so how far that plume is carried by wind in 2 hours) and for dosage below that experienced in the Cairngorms normally, about 2 weeks.

If you're worried about it, I suggest you look at primary source data yourselves rather than rely on propaganda and sensation created by the news.

Don't get me wrong, it would be serious, but definitely not a 'we'll all be toast' type situation. If they send one of their 100KT plus warheads, things would be different.

1666097005389.png

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I recall correctly, much of the research was on how to deal with the aftermath. Working out which areas, crops/milk/meat, etc., would actually be safe to use, and when.
Much of that, like the fallout from Chernobyl, is very much weather dependent....so, we don't know. It's all literally up in air; until it comes back down again.

The 'site' down the Clyde lochs isn't just one site at Coulport, the sub base, but the armoury in Faslane, and 'assorted' depots around.
It's worth noting that within major city 'suburbs' then the sea lochs are literally next door to Glasgow, the most populous city in Scotland. About 8 miles as the crow flies, or the wind blows. As close as I am here in Lanarkshire to Glasgow.

Aye, indeed.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm not too worried about it myself, I don't think it's an iminant scenario, but it dawned on me, unless you were actualy listening to the radio or watching TV, you probably wouldn't know a thing about it, and for those in the hit zone, panic would only last a few minutes, and it wouldn't matter how fast you moved, it would be useless.
I'm just wondering how, with massive infrastructure destruction, and the resultant panic of the rest, what plans any area has, or is Britain just going to do a titanic impression. :)
Do we know what to do?
Are medications in place in your area?
I do know our local chemist has no potassium iodide in stock and not planning to get any, ( and I am aware of its limited use.)
I'm just curious as to what local areas have planned. I shall be contacting both my local and county to ask them what they have in place so that hopefully, I can be prepared for myself and able to help others...providing I'm not vaporised!
People should be prepared to a point, and to at least know whether they are on their own or not.
I'm not having a massive wobble about it, but it came up in conversation with another friend, who asked me what would happen here, should the worst happen. I had no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE