Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I wonder if salt claymores are illegal? Placed on leg level.
What about blank firing audible alerts?
Iv seen pull pin/trip wire ones- gate or door that's been 'secured' and a loud bang. Or one of the attack alarms that do the horrendous high pitch squeals could be used.
Just don't open before having a coffee and remembering the alarm is set.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My front door was 50%glass, and easy to break, take off the door chain, reach down and unlock the door.
Years ago, this happened and I confronted the shits that did it. I won't say what with, but they did not hang about!
My new door has tiny glass panes at the top, and they can no longer smash the glass, reach the door chain, or reach down to unlock the door.
I also insisted on 4 inch screws in the hinges and locks, and I now have a multi bar locking system, that locks into both door jambs, so it would be a heck of a job to ram the door in.!
Out here, the police are not going to get to you within less than 45 mins, with an immediate response.blues and twos all the way.(ha ha ha!)
So I need to be as prepared as possible.
I have cameras and other deterrents now too, though I'm not going into detail, even my best friend has no idea of all my security features!
Though the new solar pir lights are brilliant, and will still work when everything else, plugged in to the mains may not.
I have also put a beware of the dog sign up... locals might realise, but chancers won't. I've also started taking a neighbours dog in when they go out, so that it's not left alone, so if someone walks past, he goes nuts! , and locals might even think I have a dog.
I have recorded him barking like mad on my phone, so I can play that too.
Every little helps!
Those window alarms that you stick onto windows are good too.. I had them untill I got the new locking windows, must get some more. I'd forgotten about those!

Reactions: Decacraft

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Most wronguns look for an open garage, an open window, an unchained bike. Something they can gently lift without too much commotion.. it also helps with the cover story "oh no, I wasn't nicking it, I just saw it was loose and thought I'd move it out of sight of a thief, honest!" "Oh no, I wasn't climbing through the window, it was open and I was just checking to see if my mate was in, oh, it's not my mates house? Oh, wrong house" etc etc...

The second it involves tools or effort, you're dealing with a "professional burglar" which means you're already in trouble to a degree, therefore anything that makes noise or creates a notification of their presence is helpful.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
With a view to securing sheds - I;ve wondered if sneakier is better. Padlocks are an obvious and ubiquitous target for a thief as a point of entry.

Having a shed with a sneaky slidey lockbolt/strongback beam on the inside that can only be moved by a large magnet 'sliding' in a certain place and angle from outside or a unobtrusive small hole that you can poke with a given stick to dislodge an internal ( hidden ) bar arm is something I've considered.

By using some sneaky-beaky tactics to use the size and weight of the shed itself along with an appropriate long beam hidden on the inside would confuse and deter many thieves. You can still stick a sacrificial padlock on the door if you want but the real 'lock' would be an oversized bit of crafty engineering and some applied physics.

Just an idea,

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
With a few to securing sheds - I;ve wondered if sneakier is better. Padlocks are an obvious and ubiquitous target for a thief as a point of entry.

Having a shed with a sneaky slidey lockbolt/strongback beam on the inside that can only be moved by a large magnet 'sliding' in a certain place and angle from outside or a unobtrusive small hole that you can poke with a given stick to dislodge an internal ( hidden ) bar arm is something I've considered.

By using some sneaky-beaky tactics to use the size and weight of the shed itself along with an appropriate long beam hidden on the inside would confuse and deter many thieves. You can still stick a sacrificial padlock on the door if you want but the real 'lock' would be an oversized bit of crafty engineering and some applied physics.

Just an idea,

Already doing something similar. Side bolt hidden under cladding. You wouldn’t know it was there if you didn’t know.
The actual lock is a mortise with a euro cylinder into a metal post rather than a flimsy bit of wood. The euro cylinder can be snapped, just like on your front door but takes a bit more time than a padlock.

My allotment shed is so flimsy I don’t bother locking it. A sharp tug on the door would rip the shackle off the feather board. I get no theft or vandalism because it’s open.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Depending how far away your shed is from your house you can pick up wireless cctv cameras at a reasonable price now. Most have a light and alarm feature or you can receive a mobile alert if triggered. The ones we have include a human feature where we are only notified if a human triggers it.

Thieves don’t like cctv.

Reactions: Qwerty

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Stay calm, don't panic, sensible normal buying.
For me that works well. but then my normal is prepping for natural disasters (hurricanes being high on the list) That means a 90 day supply of meds, a 2 week supply of non perishable foods (the same canned goods I would eat anyway although normally I wouldn't eat them every day) 2 weeks supply of pet food, 2 weeks supply of toilet paper, paper towels, etc. and keep all fuel tanks full. Basically exactly what the authorities recommend, 2 weeks supply of everything except the meds. Also as the authorities recommend a go kit packed with 3 days essential and important papers such as deeds, insurance, vaccine records (mine and the pets) etc. in case ordered to evacuate (but I don't think that applies to this scenario.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Grab and go bags are a good idea for everyone, even here in the UK. Who knows when anyone might get flooded, or have a house fire, or any number of other disasters, where you need to go somewhere else for a few days, or weeks.?
My main concerns, and I think most others here, is personal security, home security, food security, and fuel security for light and heating.
Then now, we have to add mortgages, and homelessness if you loose your home. That's a lot of concerns.
On top of that, there is the possibility of things escalating with Russia.
It's a lot to try to mitigate.
Myself, I'm just taking my immediate needs into consideration.
Paying the rent, keeping warm, and enough food, with alternate ways to cook, keep warm, and light.
Personal and house security are now my focus, as I think I have most else covered for the next few months.
I'm making boxes with night lights, and holders for them, lighters, batteries, small torches, wrist warmers, chocolate and nuts, cuppa soups, biscuits, warm socks and hats, and all sorts of other bits and bobs in for pensioners in my area, that can be handed out in an emergency.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Very minor thing that I started doing out of convenience, but that was making sure before I get into bed that I have the clothes I'm going to wear the next day ready to grab, t shirt, trousers, socks, boxers all there. I realise now that it's also not a bad idea in the event of an emergency... I don't want to be rooting about for socks.

Reactions: santaman2000

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it yet, but I do have a small barter box that I have added a few more items to, but may also come in handy for others. Can be small enough so can be grabbed with a go bag, or stored away in case of dire times.

Can include
*packs of playing cards/uno/ card games
*Small toiletries (shower gel/shampoo/toothpaste/toothbrushes etc) in the supermarket travel sizes.
*bag of coins for vending machines
*tobacco/cigarettes/cigars/bic lighters
*aaa batteries
*aaa battery torches (cheap ones)
*chewing gum/mints
*indigestion/stomach over the counter meds
*throat/cough lozenges

I do have a small wallet with I.D., spare keys, thumb drive with backups on, household documents (deeds copy/insurance policies/ warranties/pictures of equipment just in case for insurance and reciepts of high value).
Also have a small carry on suitcase with new spare workwear clothing outfit, underwear,socks, waterproofs and high vis(cheap and rugged) for emergencies in the vehicle.

Started to digitalise my book collection now I have been gifted a kindle, mostly recipes and cooking ideas for the Dutch oven and other homestead material.
Most manuals are available as PDFs, so would also be worth backing up any of those that are relevant (vehicle Haynes manuals/dummies guides to, etc).

Went to Trago to pick up some gas (c500) and their supplies are dire. Normally there's a few boxes but 1 on the shelf and single cans galore.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Noticed camping stove gas caninsters are going up in price at my local gun shop that also does a few basic camping items, too.
I used to get a can of coleman gas for £6 before covid. It's gradually been creeping up each time a new lot comes in. Now it's £9. They are admittedly always a bit more expensive than bigger camping stores, but its handy not to have to do a 50 mile round trip to get to a decent camping store. With the price of bus fares or petrol, it probably works out about the same anyway.
I managed to get a few balls of double knit wool at the charity shop this week, and have been knitting wrist warmers.
For those who knit, or have relatives that can do so, or for a good first project for learners.
1 pair size 4 mm needles.
1 ball of double knit.
Cast on 46 stitches,
Work in rib, (1 St knit, 1 St purl ) for 9 inches.
Cast off keeping the rib pattern.
Sew up 5 inches from Cast on edge, leave 2 inches, then sew up the last two inches .
Keeps you cosy, but still able to use a computer, or make a cuppa.
I'm now on my third pair of wrist warmers this week...... I have orders for 3 more pairs so far.
Turning into a nice little sideline, at a fiver a pair.!

Reactions: Winnet

rarms

Aug 6, 2017
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Have a look at Dakota Alert systems. I have a few of their sensors in various places, including some in detached sheds. They can be allocated different alarm tones so you know which one has been triggered.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Home security/Personal security can be a trade off, I'll ex[lain why later. Here I have more options for personal weapons for defense that y'all don't have so I'll concentrate on the means we have in common. Particularly home security. For both there and here that generally means what we call "hardening the target." (making the home entry more difficult for would be robbers) that involves the obvious:
-Better locks
-Stronger doors
-Windows that are difficult for a burglar to access or are grated
-CCTV cams or other means to identify visitors before unlocking the entrance
-Better outdoor lighting
-An alarm or perhaps a dog. Or both

You get the idea. Now I'll talk about the trade off. many of us are seniors and other might have some dissability or another. So while we all want it to be difficult for unauthorized people to invade our space, we don't want it so difficult as to waste precious time if any of the rescue services need in and we might be incapable of opening up for them.

Speaking of the rescue services they might be useful in another capacity if normal contact with friends is interrupted. Here we have what's known as "welfare checks" Basically that means that either :
You've requested the police to check on you on a regular interval to ascertain that you're alright (usually something as simple as a phone call once a day or the local patrolman knocking on your door)
-or-
A close friend or family member has noticed you haven't been in touch on your normal schedule and requests you local services to make that check.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I worry a bit about all those folks behind multiple multiple locks and bolts.

A fireman I knew said, "If someone wants to get in, they'll get in, but if you need to get out you need to get out quickly, and if you have a fire and a house full of smoke, you don't think, and you struggle to breathe. Keep it simple".

I lock the door, but my keys stay in the door. They can't be unhooked from the letter box, (my keychain is beyond full and weighs about 400g) but we can get out with the turn of a key that's already where we need it.

I realise that doesn't suit everybody, but it's worth bearing in mind. If it needs a brawny fireman with a big axe or a ram to get into your house, then maybe it's taking too long to get you out safely.

M

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
There’s a balance to be struck with security. In most cases there’s no need to go full Fort Knox, chances are you’ll get bored of locking everything and leave it unsecured anyway.

But, some simple steps, a few PIR lights, a bike lock on the gas cylinders or a bolt on the back gate won’t hurt.

Work on the principle of barriers/thresholds, if a woodshed is insecure a thief could say they thought it was abandoned, or that they saw it open and went to check it hadn’t been burgled etc. even a £1 lock they have to break takes away that defence.

A lot of thefts take place because the opportunity was just too good

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE