Preparing Cramp Ball fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I recently went searching for some cramp balls in the wood near my house, and pleasingly I found quite a few.

However, I know they need to be absolutely dry to be able to be ignited, and as I'm off camping this weekend I want them dry by then...

How long do they take to dry out? and what's the best way of drying them. So far I've left them out in the sun for about a day, but trying one out it didn't ignite, so it still must be damp inside.

Anyone got any tips on quick drying the lovely things?

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
I've left the ones I've found on the radiator for a couple of days which seemed to work. I've got a couple that are really wet and i've thought about trying the oven on a really low setting for a few hours. Anybody else tried to force dry them?

Paul

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I've no experience with the cramp ball fungus, but I force dry fungi and meat all the time with an oven. I just set it at 50-60 degrees celcius and leave the door slightly open. Starting at 11:00 pm, most items ary dried the following morning.

-Emile

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I seem to remember somebody saying that the radiator works very well on these. I also remember something about there being bacteria or mites or something that breaks the crampball down, so sticking it on the radiator kills off whatever it is that does this.

I picked one up last year when I was in UK and it went in a nylon bag in my locker for when I could get out bushcrafting next. A few weeks later, I tried it out and it went up straight away.

Good luck with it.

Spamel

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, don't try to light them in the house either, they stink a bit when they burn and the wife won't appreciate the fact that you are 'just trying it out love'!!

Spamel

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Be careful as they may leave spore, I had about 30 on a tray a few weeks ago and after a day or so I had to clean them as they left loads of spore.

I dry them by putting them on a drying rack, then on a tray :D

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Well after a night of being on a warm radiator they're nice and dry. Thanks!!

How do you guys store them? On the radiator they started to leave a lot of spore, as you said Tony, so anyone know how can I store and carry them so that they don't do that (If there is a way)?

Also, some of you guys in other threads have siad about your 'tinder pouches', what do you use as a tinder pouch, currently I just keep tinder in a waterproof side pocket on my sack, or in my inside pocket of my coat. but I'd like to get a decent pouch for it... Any help?

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Daniel, I use a smokers oilskin. Found a nice little tobaconists and they had them. If you have something like that (look for pipes is a good indication) a couple of quid should see 1 in your possesion.

I notice you in the south, how far south?

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Cheers for the idea. Not sure where I'll find a tobacconist near me but I'll have a look around! I leave in Hampshire, near Portsmouth!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Daniel
my experience is that once they've released the spores then you won't get the problem again. I've never stored them for any length of time since my local woods are frull of ash trees and hence lots of cramp balls.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Cheers for the info!! Same here with the nearby woods having an abundance of cramp balls. Hopefully will be using them up this weekend!

Mike J

Feb 24, 2005
Dorset
I keep my cramp balls in the airing cupboard in paper bags.I have found that even once they are dried ,if I store them outside eg shed or garage they tend to react to the atmosphere.If its misty, damp or rainy they seem to absorb moisture and become less easy to light.Hope this helps.

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
"if I store them outside eg shed or garage they tend to react to the atmosphere.If its misty, damp or rainy they seem to absorb moisture and become less easy to light"

I must agree if the cramp balls are not stored in a dry atmosphere i find they are imposible to light at a later date. I picked some balls in the rain and placed them in my pouch for later use but even after they seemed finger dry and placed by the fire to dry even more they just will not light :( . Now when its damp i just pick them from the underside of dead standing wood (always dry and airy ;) )
On a slightly different note If it's really pishing down I find the best tinder is the haires that grow on mature ivy trunks always the last thing to get wet in my experience

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE