Preparedness, do any practise it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I am just thankful I never re told the story of strangling someone, In case I get asked if I had washed my hands first lol

NO, I didn't wash my hands before or after, so I guess they were very infectous at the time....As the other bloke was dead after I had finished!...Sorry if that is in poor taste, but you did ask.

Something similar happened to me the other day. I was lying in an OP watching the terrorist camp from a distance, We had reason to suspect from the mission briefing we'd been given that Spetsnaz operatives we aiding the Terrorists.

Anyhow I had to sneak up and disable the guard so we could infitrate the compound. The problem was I'd forgotten to click on the knife icon when selecting my outfit so had to sneak really close and press left and right mouse buttons at the same time.

Still he dropped like a sack of spuds and I had to eat another cheezel and take a big sip of coke to get over that...

The upside is we won a team bonus and I now have to only get another 5 'kill' points for my upgrade to a sniper rifle..
Choice...

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Johnboy.

Lets hope your encounter was not too similar to mine then, as Mine gave me horrific flash backs for many years, and eventually needed me to have counseling to come to terms with killing the border guard in question......And I would not wish that on my enemies, even if they were folks silly enough to make childish comments about gaming lol! :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Something similar happened to me the other day. I was lying in an OP watching the terrorist camp from a distance, We had reason to suspect from the mission briefing we'd been given that Spetsnaz operatives we aiding the Terrorists.

Anyhow I had to sneak up and disable the guard so we could infitrate the compound. The problem was I'd forgotten to click on the knife icon when selecting my outfit so had to sneak really close and press left and right mouse buttons at the same time.

Still he dropped like a sack of spuds and I had to eat another cheezel and take a big sip of coke to get over that...

The upside is we won a team bonus and I now have to only get another 5 'kill' points for my upgrade to a sniper rifle..
Choice...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Richmond North Yorkshire.

Choice...

Brilliant!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Choice...

Love it JohnBoy. Sheer Brilliance.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Johnboy.

Lets hope your encounter was not too similar to mine then, as Mine gave me horrific flash backs for many years, and eventually needed me to have counseling to come to terms with killing the border guard in question......And I would not wish that on my enemies, even if they were folks silly enough to make childish comments about gaming lol! :)

Wider community sorry if this thread is somewhat derailed.

Hi Ray,

I hope all is well with you. I would have replied earlier but I was busy 'Fragging some Tango's' you know how it is.:)

I'm sorry to hear about your psychological stress brought on by strangling a Border Guard to death with your bare hands during some secret mission.:(

Still I'm glad to see the counselling you received seems to have worked as you're able to post on an open internet forum to a complete bunch of stranger’s details of your past life and exploits as an 'Operator'. :) That does seem somewhat at odds with my perception of clandestine, and secret. But hey as they say it's a different world post Glasnost and 911...:confused:

Still I look forward to the next instalment. I'm actually saving them currently and hope to format them into a novella.

The working title is 'Bushcraft Two Zero' I'd be interested in your thoughts on that...

Right back to those Pesky 'Tango's' they're now holed up in what looks to be a former Soviet Chemical warfare facility (or it might be Nuclear).

Gotta go....

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Johnboy

Thanks for that. I have to ask though, are you still at school, or do you still play games as an adult? I'm just curious.
Maybe your love of gaming aids your imagination, which is why you chose to add emotive words such as 'secret mission', 'clandestine' and 'operator', which I never mentioned! I point that out as if you do publish my stories, you will want to get them right or you will end up looking like an idiot! lol

I am glad I posted those comments now, as they lead to a couple of productive and adult PT's, which are helping me sort a few questions I had on this site.
Maybe you could take the time to explain what its like to 'be fragging tango's' as I don't play computer games, but am always keen to learn of folks hobbies. I think its great that kids today get to play PC war games from the comfort of their houses, as the real alternative is quite nasty, and folks do actually die for real, and not just take a break for snacks ......Does it make you feel REALLY alive and relieved to have killed some 'tango's' and still be sat comfortably in your house, just like you were before you started playing? :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I know i'm not in your convo guy's, but i play cod mw2, brilliant game and good fun. although i do play it in a bunker to give that op's room feel.

In the vain of preparedness, does any body else take an interest in the location of local co-ord bunkers, for the use of you councils and local authority gorups?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope - but I do like to have a look at the old ones - The "Secret Bunker" in Cheshire is fascinating....the old ROC ones are like bleeding graves though.

A nice one was for sale along from Bushwacker Bobs in Twyford recently - and there is a corker up in Scotland at the moment (complete with house on top).

SubBrit is well worth a look if you (like me) find hidden places a bit "famous five" :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Oh yeah i've been prowling subbrit ever since we moved to Plymouth, and getting a tour round the bunkers underneath mount wise, Wifey was working there at the at the time in the recruiting office, absolutly fasinating, there's a ROC bunker just up the road from me a Findhorn, been down there to look and it's in pretty dire condition, still the original kit though.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Johnboy

Thanks for that. I have to ask though, are you still at school, or do you still play games as an adult? I'm just curious.
Maybe your love of gaming aids your imagination, which is why you chose to add emotive words such as 'secret mission', 'clandestine' and 'operator', which I never mentioned! I point that out as if you do publish my stories, you will want to get them right or you will end up looking like an idiot! lol

I am glad I posted those comments now, as they lead to a couple of productive and adult PT's, which are helping me sort a few questions I had on this site.
Maybe you could take the time to explain what its like to 'be fragging tango's' as I don't play computer games, but am always keen to learn of folks hobbies. I think its great that kids today get to play PC war games from the comfort of their houses, as the real alternative is quite nasty, and folks do actually die for real, and not just take a break for snacks ......Does it make you feel REALLY alive and relieved to have killed some 'tango's' and still be sat comfortably in your house, just like you were before you started playing? :)

Ray,

I'm 13 and I've given myself the handle of Sasmarineparasniper on the games forums I hang around on.

I must admit I really do enjoy 'fragging tangos' as on a computer I can run as fast as I like without getting out of breath. Unlike the real world LOL... I also like to listen to that old Skool track 19 by Paul Hardcastle I reckon it ups my in game score by 3 or 4 'kills' per round. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you've had some productive PT's and are getting things sorted out about the site.

I do quite like emotive words. I think also Ray you are quite an emotive person as well.

But it was wrong of me to make the assumption that when you Strangled the Border Guard to Death with your bare hands you were on a secret mission. I appologise.

I sort of put 2 and 2 together there sort of thinking that the act of Strangling someone is possibly not that normal and that the circumstances were possibly unusual. But perhaps not? Another factor that lead me to use the word clandestine was when you mentioned in and unrelated thread..

It was made worse by the fact I had used it to sneak into what was then East Germany

So I kind of made the assumption as a lay person that you probably didn't just walk into East Germany the border between East and West and a tension point of the cold war as you say some 'sneaking' was required... Hence the need for a camo 58 patt shove I guess??

So perhaps clandestine was sort of a correct word to use. I dunno.

I do admit I did kind of put the act of Sneaking in to East Germany and lets call it the 'border guard incident' together. But of course perhaps it was a totally different border I know at times I've been held up in the queue at passport control and the thought has crossed my mind....

The great thing about internet forums is folk like myself with limited life experience can get to hold conversations with 'old hands' like yourself learn from you and trust everything you say.

The internet is a wonderful place...:)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I know i'm not in your convo guy's, but i play cod mw2, brilliant game and good fun. although i do play it in a bunker to give that op's room feel.

In the vain of preparedness, does any body else take an interest in the location of local co-ord bunkers, for the use of you councils and local authority gorups?

lmao at this,..

Hey Southey if you want me to show you how its really done next time your on add "Cakey Pigg"

be warned tho, i play it with a full ghille suit on, and i lay prone in front of the TV.(with a cuppa and biscuits not too far away)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I can't help adding my two pennorth to this thread:-

Maybe it was the camo tarp, and the ammo boxes I use for storage and an erzatz kitchen, or my tiny one man tent with just enough room for a sleeping bag and precious little else, but a guy passing by commented that I looked like I was ex special forces or something.

Well I guess my rough and ready set up did look a bit out of place on a big commercial campsite just outside Cambridge occupied for the most part by luxurious touring caravans surrounded by awnings and windbreaks big enough to house a whole Bedouin tribe.

The truth of course is that I was on special op's infiltrating the scientific elite at a research conference :) Yeah there are worse things than wannabe Chris Ryan's there are wannabe academics, and my reason for camping was to save on the ridiculous accommodation costs at these shindigs.

And I didn't have to strangle anybody either, though I have to confess I felt like it listening to some of the presentations.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Johnboy

I have to say, that if nothing else, you do make me smile.
I am sure your not sensing the irony in which I see your posts (i.e. you play games using an 'imaginary character' in a a pretend fantasy land, and then say YOU have done these things lol) That's brilliant :)
If you do ever care for an adult conversation, then I would be happy to oblige, and you may just find you have quite a bit wrong about me...I'm certainly no old hand, that's for sure lol

If you don't, then I suspect neither of us would lose even one seconds sleep over it lol :) At least I believe you, when you say YOU did these acts in fantasy land, while eating snacks :)

Back on topic now.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Back on topic.

I just invested some cash in "preparing" the new house.

Specifically an aluminium snow shovel and a pallet of 20kg bags of rock salt. I went for the pure rock salt because:

1) We have a gravel driveway so sand wont help grip

2) I can always use the salt to make ham or bacon or even sling it in the dishwasher if it serves no other purpose.

Last December the snow got in amongst the gravel, part melted and then froze solid into sheet ice. Nothing could move on that, this year, with shovel and salt I will at least keep a footpath clear. The other problems is that the barn complex is South facing with a road behind. That road is in near permanent shadow. Kindly the council has left us a grit bin now so that at least can keep clear.

Probably not going to see snow like that again in a hurry but .....better to have it and not need it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE