Pre-Mac advice...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hi All,

I've recently become the proud owner of a Pre-Mac MWP Trekker water filter/purifier. :D

I've noticed that Mr Mears covers the end of his filter with what looks like a piece of cloth. :bluThinki

Anyone know what it is, and more importantly, where to get it?!? :confused:

Thanks!

Phil

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Cloth over the end of a filter inlet will be for stopping bigger bits of debris getting in to the filter... So a piece of cotton tee-shirt or muslin/cheese cloth will be good for doing this... I would recommend checking out a habidashery shop to see what they have...

Try this one...loads of other useful fabrics as well...

http://www.cheapfabrics.co.uk/thestore/index.php?cPath=95

LS

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
PhilParry said:
Hi All,

I've recently become the proud owner of a Pre-Mac MWP Trekker water filter/purifier. :D

I've noticed that Mr Mears covers the end of his filter with what looks like a piece of cloth. :bluThinki

Anyone know what it is, and more importantly, where to get it?!? :confused:

Thanks!

Phil

The cloth is a piece parachute material. It's there to prolong the filters life (it keeps out / helps to filter out fine debris) - a simple solution for relative low costs (as the replacement filters are pretty expensive).

I think you can do with a piece of cotton hanky, etc. As it hasn't have to be parachute material ... though need to comment parachute material is a very fine weave and thus keeps out more debris and stuff.

Hopes this helps
Johan

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
What the others have said is bang on. It's to keep grit and rubbish from getting into the filter and causing wear. This simple idea will prolong the life of your filter.

Ray uses parachute silk because it is a very fine material which will filter finer debris out of the water. You could use any fine material perhaps a piece of silk handkerchief or even a piece of stocking will do. You don't need to spend any money to sort this one out.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yeah as said below,

I used a double thickness of tights material lashed onto the bottom of the filter, the arrangement works very well.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
PhilParry said:
Million $$$ question....where do you find the stuff?

I've looked all over and I'm obviously looking in the wrong place....!! :(

Phil

What stuff do you mean?

Pair of tights from a lady's legs!

Or a cheap pair from Tesco's

LS

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Surely just any bit of cloth will do the trick, don't go daft spending money on a Ray Mears version (avaliable on Ebay from someone with no affiliation whatsoever with Ray for fifty quid no doubt :rolleyes: ) when just about any bit of cloth will do it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE