Hello from the west country woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Hello all,

I've recently been given permission to use a small piece of private woodland down here on the devon / cornwall border.

It's not much, probably around 1.5 acres and most of that is on a steep 'ol slope, but I've been given free rein by the owner to use it as I see fit.

Whilst researching close to nature / continuous cover forestry I remembered this place (I was a member many many moons ago) so thought I'd sign up again and see what I can learn.

Plan is to get professionals in to deal with some of the larger fallen trees and standing deadwood then manage the place as sustainably as possible with a focus on wildlife and ecological protection and regeneration, and the bushcraft ethic fits that bill perfectly.

Thanks in advance for all the tips and advice, whilst I'm always up for learning by doing I'm also old enough and wise enough to know that it's often easier to learn from others experiences first..

All the best,

Jack

Reactions: Erbswurst

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Hello all,

I've recently been given permission to use a small piece of private woodland down here on the devon / cornwall border.

It's not much, probably around 1.5 acres and most of that is on a steep 'ol slope, but I've been given free rein by the owner to use it as I see fit.

Whilst researching close to nature / continuous cover forestry I remembered this place (I was a member many many moons ago) so thought I'd sign up again and see what I can learn.

Plan is to get professionals in to deal with some of the larger fallen trees and standing deadwood then manage the place as sustainably as possible with a focus on wildlife and ecological protection and regeneration, and the bushcraft ethic fits that bill perfectly.

Thanks in advance for all the tips and advice, whilst I'm always up for learning by doing I'm also old enough and wise enough to know that it's often easier to learn from others experiences first..

All the best,

Jack

Welcome. Are you to the north or south, if that's not giving too much away?

I'm towards the north and steep sided is very familiar along with wet.

Don't forget dead wood forms some of the best habitat.

Reactions: Redhand Jack

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

@Broch that's exactly the kind of thread I was hoping to find, cheers :thumbsup:

@slowworm I'm sothern way, not a million miles away from plymouth (unfortunately :rolleyes: ). Deadwood is kinda what got me thinking about the living forest route, I randomly saw a guy on tv making a dead hedge and didn't know anything about it so I googled it - one very long trip down the rabbit hole later and I kinda knew what I wanted to do with the place :)

@Tony not a clue bud - it was 20 years and a fair few forums ago tho :D

Question : are diary's / journals a thing here?.
Whilst I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as time goes on I was planning to keep track of what I've done when etc as a written journal, but posting it up here means pictures which means less writing for me :happy:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE