powerderd milk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
nido, marvel tried them all. none seem to do it for me there is always an after taste.
am I doing it wrong :-(

I like coffee happy to drink instant even decaff ..now I prefer it with milk no sugar but that does not last many days, then I move over to black with sugar.

what do you do to get a decent coffee ????

David

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I find Nido the best of the dried milks but will drink it black, strong and very sweet, stopped using instant coffee completely, banned from the house. On camping trips I'll take a bit of coffeemate with me for a breakfast brew or those who can't take coffee black.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Get used to sweet and take the tubes of condensed milk.
I drink mine black and sweet, but HWMBLT likes his milky and non sweet at home. Camping he uses the tubed stuff and gets used to it being sweet. He tried baby milk before now and it was apparantly very good (buy the gold cap, full fat weaning stuff) but at the price for a can it seems a touch excessive for a few mugs of coffee.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't; I suppose it is cheaper, but himself is quite happy to make tablet with a tin and finish off the rest with a spoon :rolleyes: Waaay too sweet for me.

I sometimes wonder about filling one of the tubes with marmite though :D The squeezy tub ones don't empty properly.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our powdered milk is fat free (what we southerners call 'skimmed') TBH I can't tell the difference between it and fresh milk that's also fat free. There's a world of difference between it and whole milk though (again, what we southerners call 'sweet milk') and various other stages of fat content.

I drink my coffee black unless it's instant; in which case I add Coffee Mate or something like if away from a fridge.
A few years ago I was fixing my coffee and realized just what it was:
-instant decaf
-non dairy creamer
-artificial sweetener

I though a minute and said aloud, "What's the point?"

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We use lidl powdered milk. in my opinion it is the only brand that makes up to something that is milk like. Marvel and tescos smell off, and I cant digest at all. Aldis is alright, but diffinanly lidls wins.

I dont touch decaff, asparteme, or any fake food.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've started using pg tea granuales. Makes a palatable brew, but I've only used fresh milk.

Does coffee mate and such like work in tea?

Mark

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

About as well as it does in coffee. For what that's worth. It ain't real milk or cream but it takes some of the edge off a poor brew.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I have recently tried making a proper cup of coffee (using a GSI H2Jo filter in a nalgene bottle) and used condensed milk in a tube. One of the nicest coffees I have ever had and I was in the middle of the woods sat round a fire! I like my coffee sweet and creamy and the condensed milk did the job.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I drink black sugared tea out and about as it's too much faff carrying real milk and I don't like powdered. I'm used to it now even though I take tea with milk and no sugar normally.

At night, a shot of rum or brandy in it works wonders.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I tend to mix some powdered skimmed milk with coffee creamer, it tastes a bit more like real milk.

Not bad on cereals either. So far, Co-op value skimmed milk powder has been my favourite but I've not tried Lidl or Nido milk yet.

Indian full fat powdered milk is very tasty but I find it hard to stop it seperating in hot coffee and so stick to the creamer mix as its got some emulsifiers in it which helps dissolving.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I just take a 1/2 litre nalgene bottle of sterilized milk (also known as bulls milk although you can't get proper sterilized milk anymore), its worth carrying just for a decent mugger. When that runs out I'll mix up some dried stuff usually asdas own but always adding a bit extra otherwise it ends up like skimmed milk (sheeps milk).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE