Powdered Egg

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Maybe...

...where are you looking to get it from. When there was a thread about this a few months ago, the only place I could find was The 1940s Society who sell it at £3.95 for 130g, plus £2 for postage.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
OK - you got me there. :eek: Just looked at Tesco online and straight away found Supercook Dried Whole Egg, 130g for £1.98. I bet the 1940s society just stick a reproduction label on the box.

Last time I looked, I Googled for it and only came up with the 1940s Society, just goes to show that I should try the obvious places first.

Geoff :rolleyes:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
How Spooky! - I saw it for the first time in Somerfield in Wareham this week and commented to swmbo about it too! (this is a pretty small Sommerfield store too!) - what a small world and all that...............:rolleyes:

Full Moon Man

Aug 28, 2007
emmm didnt know it was that easy to get , anybody willing to get some for me and post to Ireland. Tried Tesco over here no joy . FMM

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've got some ordered from Tesco home delivery that ought to be arriving tonight. If it arrives then I can order you some in next week's delivery and post it over to you.

Geoff

Full Moon Man

Aug 28, 2007
Geoff
That is a smashing thing to do Im sure I will be able to dig something out to put back into the post for you . Thanks again mate .

Jonny

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was using the Tesco egg at the British Blades bushcraft weekend just gone, scrambled eggs were the order of the day andthey were very tasty. I didn't take my salt and pepper but they were still nice.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I was using the Tesco egg at the British Blades bushcraft weekend just gone, scrambled eggs were the order of the day andthey were very tasty. I didn't take my salt and pepper but they were still nice.

What's your recipe - I normally add milk, butter and pepper to my 'proper' scrambled egg. Just wondering whether you use dried milk with the dried egg or anything similar?

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I was curious to know the economics of using powdered egg as opposed to fresh. The tub of dried egg says it is the equivalent of 10 eggs, so we're looking at about 20p per egg.

We normally buy large Tesco free range eggs, which cost about 30p an egg, though Tesco value eggs cost about 6p each (I wonder what value eggs are - sparrows' eggs?).

So I think I'm concluding that the cost of dried egg isn't too dissimilar to the price of mid-range fresh eggs.

And I remember when they were warning that one day you might have to pay a shilling for an egg.

Geoff

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London

Didn't know you had dehydrated eggs! Would've loved to have seen it

Might have to have a look in the supermarket myself!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
...or is it only any good for scrambled eggs?

Its a very handy cooking ingredient in its own right.

Bannock mix + dried egg + sugar = Basic cake mix

Basic cake mix + drinking chocolate = Chocolate cake mix

Chocolate cake mix + choc chips + rasins + dash of rum = Luxury choc cake mix

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Its a very handy cooking ingredient in its own right.

Bannock mix + dried egg + sugar = Basic cake mix

Basic cake mix + drinking chocolate = Chocolate cake mix

Chocolate cake mix + choc chips + rasins + dash of rum = Luxury choc cake mix

I like your train of thought :D

I've used the tescos powdered egg before, but i've got a couple of packets of scrambled egg mix from a 10-man rat-pack and didn't know if it was the same stuff

guess i'll be trying it over the weekend to see, but there's an awful lot of it! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE