Powdered drink sachets anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
I was at the supermarket today and a sachet for flavouring water was as low as 4pence for two ltr mix. The other was more expensive at 6pence. I bought some to give then a try.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I quite like Kool-Aid, not sure if that's the type of thing you're looking for.
http://www.koolaiduk.com/

I think Kool-Aid was probably the 1st as evidenced by this excerpt from Wikipedia; I know I've been drinking it over 50 years:

Invention and production
Kool-Aid was invented by Edwin Perkins and his wife Kitty in Hastings, Nebraska, United States. All of his experiments took place in his mother's kitchen.[1] Its predecessor was a liquid concentrate called Fruit Smack. To reduce shipping costs, in 1927, Perkins discovered a way to remove the liquid from Fruit Smack, leaving only a powder. This powder was named Kool-Aid. Perkins moved his production to Chicago in 1931 and Kool-Aid was sold to General Foods in 1953.

Flavors
Original 7 flavors[5] Cherry, Grape, Lemon-Lime, Orange, Raspberry, Strawberry, Root Beer (Discontinued)[6]

Singles flavors[7] Black Cherry, Tropical Punch, Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Rhubarb, Cherry, Watermelon

Sugar-Free flavors[citation needed] Double Double Cherry, Triple Awesome Grape, Lemonade, Soarin' Strawberry Lemonade, Tropical Punch, Raspberry, Watermelon

Agua Frescas flavors[8] Jamaica, Mandarina-Tangerine, Mango, Tamarindo, Piña-Pineapple

Other flavors worldwide or previously available[8] Apple, Bunch Berry, Blastin' Berry Cherry, Blue Berry Blast, Cherry, Cherry Cracker, Chocolate, Cola, Eerie Orange, Frutas,Vermelhas, Golden Nectar, Grape, Grape Blackberry, Grape Tang, Melon Mango, Strawberry Splash, Great Blueberry, Great Blue-dini, Groselha, Guaraná, Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade, Incrediberry, Kickin-Kiwi-Lime, Kolita, Lemon, Lemonade, Lemonade Sparkle, Lemon-Lime, Lime, Man-o-Mangoberry, Mango, Mountainberry Punch, Oh-Yeah Orange-Pineapple, Orange, Orange Enerjooz, Pina-Pineapple, Pink Lemonade, Pink Swimmingo, Purplesaurus Rex, Rainbow Punch, Raspberry, Roarin' Raspberry Cranberry, Rock-a-Dile Red, Root Beer, Scary Black Cherry, Scary Blackberry, Sharkleberry Fin, Slammin' Strawberry-Kiwi, Soarin' Strawberry-Lemonade, Strawberry, Strawberry Falls Punch, Strawberry Split, Strawberry-Raspberry, Sunshine Punch, Surfin' Berry Punch, Tangerine, Tropical Punch, Watermelon-Cherry, Shaking Starfruit, Watermelon

Also available were Solar Strawberry-Starfruit , Artic Green Apple , Swirlin' Strawberry-Starfruit and Lemon Ice.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If anyone wants to try some Kool aid PM me your addy.

Its ghastly stuff and needs sugar as well.

(Says she who likes Screech)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I was just about to post a query re best/cheapest rehydration powders which met the following NHS advice

"Rehydration solutions

If you are dehydrated, you will have lost sugar and salts as well as water. You should, therefore, drink a rehydration solution that contains all the essential ingredients that you need to re-establish the right balance of body fluids. The solution should contain a mixture of potassium and sodium salts, as well as glucose or starch.

Several different rehydration products are available from pharmacies or on prescription from your GP, including solutions suitable for infants and children. Ask your GP or pharmacist for advice."

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dehydration/Pages/Treatment.aspx

When I realised that Bolero do something that seems to fit the bill:

http://www.drink-bolero.com/shop/article_BD25/Isotonic.html?shop_param=cid=3&aid=BD25&

About 51p per sachet if you buy 24, or 45p per sachet if you buy 48 (No p&p)

Anybody know of any better option?

(Amazon has 6 sachets for £4.48 = 75p each)

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Good tip - always searching for something like this. I always crave fruit and citrus flavours when away for a few days. Have ordered the Bolero lemon and forest fruits.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was just about to post a query re best/cheapest rehydration powders which met the following NHS advice

"Rehydration solutions

If you are dehydrated, you will have lost sugar and salts as well as water. You should, therefore, drink a rehydration solution that contains all the essential ingredients that you need to re-establish the right balance of body fluids. The solution should contain a mixture of potassium and sodium salts, as well as glucose or starch...

Sounds like Gatorade for adults. I think someone said it's available there. Sounds like Pedialyte for infants. They both contain sugars and salts (potassiums/electrolytes) and starches (carbs) That does give it a somewhat salty taste also though. I like it but others might not.

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ok - thanks for the info - on Amazon it is expensive and seems to be only in large sachets (2.5 gallons) so I will stick with something else - probably Bolero

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Powdered Drinks?

Can't believe no one's mentioned;

Andrews Liver salts - antidote to biscuits brown AB.
Askit powder and screech mixture - cures idleness.

And my all time favourite, an old Army concoction that we were encouraged to try was;

2 teaspoons of cement powder, add some milk, stir well, drink and harden the f*** up!!!

Made me the man I am today...

Liam

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Got my Bolero sachets in the post and they are very good. It's hard to believe that such a small sachet can flavour 2 litres of water but it can. Definitely going in my pack for lightweight trips.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Ooooh. This reminds me of the sachets you get in American MREs. The raspberry one is great. OH sometimes brings home Crystal Lite which is nice. Steer well away from the Oceanspray stuff though. I think they make it with formaldehyde as a base.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE