Pouch sheath tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Someone asked about a sheath tutorial recently and i was making this sheath for a friend this evening so i thought I'd post a few pic's of how i do it.
I'm not saying this is the best way to go about it but it works for me. I know this process is very obvious to many on here but i hope those you haven't tried before can learn from it.

I start by cutting the leather from a paper template.
The template is the result of trial and error to get a good fit and a design that looks right.
It's worth spending a bit of time here to get everything right on paper before cutting leather
423_2301_1.jpg

Then cut some grooves to help the fold along the spine
423_2303_1.jpg

And some more to fold the belt loop
423_2305_1.jpg

Then fold ,glue and stitch the loop in position
423_2312_1.jpg

Next cut and glue the welt in position.
The welt is to protect the stitches from being cut by the blade
423_2310_1.jpg

Then fold along the spine and glue the sheath
423_2314_1.jpg

Next it's time to clean up the edge ,i use a sanding drum in a pillar drill for speed but you can do this by hand with some sandpaper and a block of wood
423_2317_1.jpg

You should end up with a nice smooth clean edge
423_2318_1.jpg

Next using an adjustable groover ,cut the stitch groove
423_2322_1.jpg

And use an overstitch wheel to mark out the position of the holes
423_2323_1.jpg

Then back to the pillar drill and a small drill bit.
Some people use a drill others use the traditional awl.
I use a drill because it's easier and i like to double stitch so this makes life easier.
423_2328_1.jpg

Finally stitch using a saddle stitch and some waxed thread then run an edge beveller around the edges to clean them up.
423_2331_1.jpg

The final stage is to wet from and apply dye / finish to your preference.
I didn't do this one as my friend wanted to do that himself.
Sorry it's a bit of a rush job but feel feel to ask any questions or correct me or give advice as you see fit.

rb

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
That's really neat RB - cutting the grooves to help with folding the leather is a good idea and having a pillar drill also helps to keep the holes perpendicular. I don't have one and with my one and only sheath (so far) I found the drill strayed off vertical a bit through the latter part of each hole, although I was drilling through 5 layers as I used two additional tapered pieces in the handle area. I think I'll invest in one of the models Axminster have on offer in their sale before I do the sheath for my F1 .

As regards finish, after staining, do you use something like Mars oil to make the sheath soft and supple?

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
When i wet form i use Resolene which waterproofs the leather so i doesn't loose it's shap if and when it get soaked.
If i dont wet form i dye and use KIWI shoe polish "Outdoor - weatherproof -Neutral)

How's the F1 coming along ?

rb

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Finished the handle on Saturday - it's receiving linseed oil now. I'm about to start the sheath. Thanks again for your help with the rivets.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Usually i make the firesteel holder as part of the sheath but often it's made as a seperate part.
It's harder to make it all from the same piece but it looks neater when finished.
422_2230_1.jpg

Basically just shorten the welt ,make a loop ,glue and stitch it in place.

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I also buy my supplies from LePrevo.
They are very helpfull as leon-1has already mentioned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE