Potential Sharpening kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Hi guys,

First of all if this is in the wrong place I apologize, also this is not a sales thread just an inquiry.

Due to the nature of my job I am able to get a hold of Silicone Carbide wet/dry grit paper fairly cheaply from around 180 grit to 4000 grit. So I was considering putting together a small field sharpening kit consisting of 2x4" sheets of grit paper to sell in the makers market. This would include 180,320,600,800,1000,2500 & 4000 grits and I was thinking about selling them for around £3-4.50 per kit.

Would anybody be interested in this? Would it be a reasonable price?

Once again if this is in the wrong place I apologize and delete etc as I don't want to get into trouble.

I just want to get a feel for this before I maybe buy a makers subscription.

Thanks for looking

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Personally, I'd have more use for 6"X2" pieces, I dont think 4" length is enough to get a good sweep of the blade; but I'm sure a comprehensive pack of grades like that would have a market if it's decent stuff.

Just the right size to make up a lightweight field sharpening paddle kit...............................atb mac.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd be interested in cheap sand paper mate. Not the kits tbh though, alot of use just make our own.

So, if you can provide decent ammounts of varibale grade of sand paper I'm sure you will find alot more interest here. Myself in particular ;)

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
That could be doable. I'm guessing the higher grits are harder to come by. Whats the going rate for strips of 6x2"?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
They usually come in A4 sheets, and range in price.. A few quid for a couple of each?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That sounds interesting, I could potentially be interested in that too. Like Sam I would also be interested in just getting hold of a large variety of grits too.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
The problem is they don't come in A4 format. I can sort them out to be in a 6x2 or 8x2 format a few sheets of each would that interest people?

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
y9ute4eh.jpg

Here's what I did with this weekend up to the 4000 grit on my bk24. I then just rubbed it down with some stropping paste and a cotton wool ball.

Just an example for people to go by.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks good that!

Not sure on price for the sizes you can offer, but if you can roughly make up to an A4 then a better price idea can be had. Have a look on ebay for multi packs of fine grit and figure out if you can make a fair profit with your own multi packs.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Always after decent paper. Half the stuff I get is either backed with tracing paper or smells like vomit.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi ibeef 8x2 sounds about right to me i would be interested in some of those packs regards dave

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I think you may be onto something. As it is paper backed, some smaller sheets would probably work well as a field sharpening kit. I sell Micromesh kits on British Blades in 6"x6" and 12"x 6" sheets ranging from 1500 grit to 12000 grit and all grits in between. As it is cloth backed (can be washed and used repeatedly), it rolls up pretty small and has the capacity to be cut down into smaller pieces, they have been used by many for field sharpening kits. The pay off is, it's a bit more expensive than the prices you have quoted for your kits. Do it bud, it sounds like a nice little kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE