potassium permanganate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
just wondering who keeps this in a first aid kit.I do and also the first aid kit for all my animals.some facts about it that could be usefull.
KMnO4 is often included in survival kits along with either glycerine or a glucose tablet for the purposes of making fire. The glucose tablet can be ground up, mixed with the potassium permanganate and caused to combust by applying friction. It can also be mixed with anti-freeze from a vehicle to produce flame, although this can be dangerous and should be done in a controlled manner ie dipping some paper into the anti-freeze and then adding a small amount of potassium permanganate. The ability to sterilise water and wounds is another reason for inclusion in a survival kit

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I have some crystals in my emergency baccy tin

I have the liquid in my FAK as i can't find a local source for the crystals.

Good stuff, firelighting, makes water safer to drink, antiseptic wash. The sort of thing i love for bushcraft, 1 item....multiple uses :D

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
If you have the liquid just evaporate off the water to get the crystals. Put it in a shallow dish and let the water evaporate, you will have crystals in no time. Although probably not many, lol.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've read about it in Lofty Wiseman's SAS "Bible" but I've never actually seen the stuff, nor do I know where to get it. If I could find it in town, I'd definately put a bit of it in my pocket survival kit.

Adam

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
anthonyyy said:
KMnO4 has some illegal uses, I'd immagine it might be hard to get nowadays.

We use to make a very c**p contact explosive out of it at school. You'd put it between the pages of someones book and, when they closed it, there would be a 'bang' and a big brown stain. Oh, we were so funny...

D

deezee_uk

I tend to stick to normal (tablet) water sterilisation methods, just because you don't have to muck about with measuring the stuff out. I use a firestick, or lord forbid, a lighter !!!!

Hey lets not forget its more exciting uses, such as when combined with poorly combusted natural gas by product (formaldehyde), it makes a gas that irritats the respiratory system (tear gas)

Ahhh Wikpedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_permanganate

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I should have looked further but by the way the chemist`s sucked air in when i asked i thaught i wouldent bother....

SuperDrug ????? who whouild of believed it thanks ;)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
anthonyyy said:
KMnO4 has some illegal uses, I'd immagine it might be hard to get nowadays.
I got some recently from one of the guys on a forest school course. He said you have to go to the larger, possibly industrial chemists, for it. Also try laboratory chemical suppliers. :)

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
fred gordon said:
I got some recently from one of the guys on a forest school course. He said you have to go to the larger, possibly industrial chemists, for it. Also try laboratory chemical suppliers. :)

or some vets

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Good old SWAT magazine in the eighties had an article from a chemist discussing the sterilising properties of PP. It's very unreliable - much organic stuff in the water and seems pretty useless.

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
mark wood said:
Good old SWAT magazine in the eighties had an article from a chemist discussing the sterilising properties of PP. It's very unreliable - much organic stuff in the water and seems pretty useless.

Mark

Good point, though garden suppliers sell it for sterilising water butts :confused: mine's full of things, including newts :D
Pot. perm. is also incredibly messy, probably why it's sometimes recommended for writing sos in snow.

cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I remember going to a party a few years ago and some person under the influence put some PP into the cystern of the loo. Some poor person let out a scream when she flushed the loo as she thought she was part of some Physco drama. :lmao:

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
deezee_uk said:
Hey lets not forget its more exciting uses, such as when combined with poorly combusted natural gas by product (formaldehyde), it makes a gas that irritats the respiratory system (tear gas)

Ahhh Wikpedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_permanganate

Working with formaldehyde every day I can assure you that you don't need to add anything to it to make you cry and have breathing difficulties! :)

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
It does stain your hands if you are not careful. Even the smallest crystal can turn alot of water deep purple. Great colour.

We make chlorine gas with it, by adding concentrated Hydrochloric acid to it. So becareful what you are mixing it with, you don't want to poison yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE