Post collapse survival strategies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Is that really true? Did oil run out in the Soviet Union in the 90's; did oil run out in the economic depression of the 1930's?

My original intention was to get ideas from other posters on the things they would take in the event of a need to move quickly and stay mobile.Things that will have an enduring value should paper money lose it's value, as has happened many times in other countries. It seems there are members of the forum that would rather such threads were not started and those that are happy to discuss the issue and come up with their own opinions. Such is life.

The question of whether bushcraft skills would be useful if there were a total economic collapse has been knocked around quite a few times, sometimes rather heatedly, and it never comes down with a categoric "yes" or "no". The best you can ever expect is a qualified "maybe", if for no other reason than because even the definition of what constitutes "bushcraft" is hard to pin down. Again, there have been quite a few threads on the matter :lmao: Also, whether your ability forage in the countryside would be of any use would depend on exactly what situation the country was in.

Most folk here agree that the adaptability and self reliance that seem to go with this interest in what we call bushcraft, would stand people here in better stead than many others in the populace.

There have been many situations around the world where being able to move quickly and be mobile have been fairly irrelevant, just as there have been times when it was important. You would have to have a very good reason to choose to abandon all the useful stuff you have in your house in exchange for the small kit that you can carry on your back. There is sudden and there is sudden. A BOB is for when the sirens go in the middle of the night because the local river is rising. Economic colapse could be called sudden, but could take a couple of months. I would think that it was an act of panic, or extreme paranoia, to grab a BOB and head for the hills because the stock market crashed and unemployment rose a few percentage points.

As for buying things that are of enduring value, even that is a subject open to debate. Gold has always had value and is likely to continue to do so, but you can't carry much of your net worth around on you in gold just because of its weight. You also can't eat it, and might find it hard to use for trade if everything is going to hell in a hand cart. If you just had something like the US Depression, it might not be a bad thing. Your strategy would have to depend on whether you forsaw society emerging from the other side of whatever had happened.

You might well get more useful information looking on some of the financial forums and researching how rich people plan on safeguarding their wealth.

All this is interesting, but it isn't really bushcraft, which is why it was suggested that you would get more useful information if you took the question to a site that was more taylored for it. Or alternatively, to fine tune your question to something more specifically related to bushcraft.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
This link is very interesting if you don't think a sudden economic collapse of one country is possible:
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044387;p=1

Modern UK survivalism IMO is based on natural disasters such as floods etc and is based on short term problems, that bushcraft and 'old skills' could play a major part in helping you through. In other countries it could be different, but nothing's impossible.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting stuff indeed - I've chatted with Ferfal a few times and his observations on living through the situation in Argentina are very enlightening. Another guy whose writings are very up to date and quite sobering is Bogdan (you may know him from Outdoors Magazine etc.). He described a lot of what he went through in the Serbo Croat conflict on the Ludlowsurvivors board and the strange ways that economic collapse affects normal life.

As others have said, if such matters interest you from either wanting to know what has happened in other countries that have faced a form of collapse or to discuss being more "self reliant" either as a lifestyle choice or as a form of insurance - there are a number of forums and websites that are devoted to the subject.

Red

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
This link is very interesting if you don't think a sudden economic collapse of one country is possible:
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044387;p=1

Modern UK survivalism IMO is based on natural disasters such as floods etc and is based on short term problems, that bushcraft and 'old skills' could play a major part in helping you through. In other countries it could be different, but nothing's impossible.

Bushcraft skills? If you get flooded out, what you need is a sleeping bag, a camping stove, some water and instant soup ...oh an a few nappies to give to the women with babies at the community centre.

Anything else, and I think we are back with the zombie chickens. :rolleyes:

I dont think bushcraft skills would play a major part, in fact I doubt they would play any part at all. The whole notion of heading to the hills with a bowdrill and a kelly kettle is insane.

Furthermore, unless you like the idea of living in a mud hole and eating slugs and worms indefinitely, in a truly apocalyptic survival situation, what you need is modern equipment, a fortified bunker, automatic weapons, stockpiled food and a small army to defend it. .....aannnnndddd we're off into paranoid, fantasy land again.

Paranoid or not, it's not very "bushcraft" is it?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I think the point is, whether survivalism and bushcraft share some common ground is irrelevant. Just because there are some skills that may be common to both genres, doesnt make them common interests. It's like going onto claypigeonshooting.com and starting a thread about what we are going to do when the world comes to an end, and claiming it's a valid topic for that forum, on the premise that both genres have an interest in shooting.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I agree in my opinion this subject is tedious and has already been debated ad infinitum and ad nauseum Also in my view the arguement 'if you dont like it then stay away' doesnt hold water occupying the space it does towards the top of the forum listings just where new members will log in, see it, and then quickly clear off (backing away keeping everyone in clear view, no sudden moves.....)

I also think it uses up valuable time in peoples lives where they could actually be doing something worthwhile, like practicing bushcraft....

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
I think the point is, whether survivalism and bushcraft share some common ground is irrelevant. Just because there are some skills that may be common to both genres, doesnt make them common interests. It's like going onto claypigeonshooting.com and starting a thread about what we are going to do when the world comes to an end, and claiming it's a valid topic for that forum, on the premise that both genres have an interest in shooting.

OK, you've prodded and prodded and I've bitten.

My, don't you go on! For someone who has no interest in, but rather a great deal of thinly veiled disdain for, survival/preparedness as a concept, you've spent quite some time in this thread haven't you. Anyone would think you've got issues, had a bit of a Deliverance event at the hands of some hillbillies or something. If you have, I assure you I've got all my own teeth and pay my taxes.

The above analogy is just more hyperbole from you, which I have to say I prefer to the sarcasm. It doesn't make for a very good argument though.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of ignoring what doesn't interest you or PM'ing a mod and asking for the thread to be moved to general chat.

Normally I'd practice what I preach and ignore posters like you, but you've actually ****** me off with your provocative little snide remarks and condescending manner. I'm sure you can't be quite as unpleasant in real life. Have a nice day:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE