Possibles Pouch and Laplander Carrier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Here's my first possibles pouch . . .

beltpouch72.jpg

and the inside . . .

beltpouchinside72.jpg

and the whole leather thing with a laplander carrier . . .

leatherkit72.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Your first? Really?

Sheesh!

The bar just got raised another notch or seven out of my reach. Life's so unfair.

Totally agree with Radix, that handprint really makes it look cool.

Is that the heel end of an Opinel right in the centre of the pouch? Looks like it.

Last edited:

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Great just GREAT!!!
I Like that very much - it´s nearly exactly what I´m looking for :D
If you sell them in any way, let me know (via PM)

cheers Mike

The handprint looks really nice indeed!

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Thank you everbody. It's a definite bodge job. I just chose a pic that didn't reveal all the mistakes!

Biker, you said "The bar just got raised another notch or seven out of my reach. Life's so unfair."

I hope you're just being complementary. Previously I've made 3 knife sheaths, a little holder for a maglite and a dog collar (for a dog not a kinky vicar) so got a little taste for working leather but not much. It's a very forgiving material especially if you wet it and then mold it into place. I also spend vast amounts of time in the garage drinking beer and looking at whatever the project is from every angle, measuring, remeasuring etc over and over again. Then, when sober the next day, I start work. Then something goes wrong so I drink more beer and rethink it again, then start when sober. It goes wrong again and I rethink it and so the happy cycle continues. A labour of blood, sweat and beers.

Basically, go for it mate and if you want any advice (I'm an expert at all the things you shouldn't do) then I'll be happy to help. Let me know long beforehand tho as i don't log on very often.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Great just GREAT!!!
I Like that very much - it´s nearly exactly what I´m looking for :D
If you sell them in any way, let me know (via PM)

Hi Mike, I doubt I could do commissions as I don't have the right tools, the quality isn't that high and it would take me so long that I'd have to charge at least £1,000 (plus beers).

Have you thought of making your own? You could get the leather for about £12 including p&p, dye, thread and needles for £5 and you could borrow a grooving tool or get one for around £5.

Alternatively i'm sure there are leatherworkers here on the forum who could knock you one up in half the time it would take me and at higher quality too.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Well Tom, in the photo, apart from a mini torch, bank card, cash, notepaper, pencil, car key, knife sharpener, swiss army and opinel i've got an old phone and some birch bark. I didn't design it to take a phone - it just happened to fit though I doubt I'll carry it in there. By the time I'd have got the antler button through the catch and squeezed the phone out it'd have rung off (good excuse tho!).

I'm still pondering whether or not to invest in a multitool and ditch the swiss army. If I do go for it then the multitool will replace that and, if I'm not planning on whittling then I'll leave the opinel out too. After all, how many blades does a man need in one pouch?!!

The birch bark was just stuffed into a little pocket I'd made for a mini-torch (not the one in the photo) but it promptly broke as soon as I finished the pouch (the torch not the pocket). However, I've found a perfect replacement at B&Q so the torch and the birch bark are out. . . maybe. I might keep some birch bark in there for emergencies like if I'm thrown out of a canoe and deserted in the jungle or something but as I only go to a wood in North Wales I don't know . . .

I sewed in a little metal ring from a key chain and attached a lanyard clip so my car key clips in.

So, with the possibility of the multitool option and the B&Q torch, and the phone and opinel left out, there should be room for some more things but what they could possibly be I have no idea at the mo. A wafer thin phone the size of a playing card? A mini pack of playing cards? Oh, the dog whistle! Defintely the whistle, but that's only dinky and I won't need it when the dog stays at home.

Mmmm, I wonder if this is why they're called "possibles pouches". In fact, does anybody know where the name came from and why?

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Biker, you said "The bar just got raised another notch or seven out of my reach. Life's so unfair."

I hope you're just being complementary. .

I was. It looks really well made and the finishing on it looks very professional, like the groove around the rim of the flap. I've saved those images for future reference.

When I say raised the bar, I meant it in the high jumper context. Just when you think you're getting close to a decent standard somone comes along and jumps 7 notches higher over it. Which means you have to get better all over again to meet this new score.

I've made several things in the past from leather, no kinky dog collers though, but I've always thought they could have been better. Little tweaks that should have been done to improve it. Oh well ya live and learn.

About that hand print, was that a single stamp or made up using a series of hammerings with different punches?

Anyway good job.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
I was. It looks really well made and the finishing on it looks very professional, like the groove around the rim of the flap. I've saved those images for future reference.

When I say raised the bar, I meant it in the high jumper context. Just when you think you're getting close to a decent standard somone comes along and jumps 7 notches higher over it. Which means you have to get better all over again to meet this new score.

I did notice that you're a carpenter so figured you'd be more handy. I still don't believe I've jumped 7 notches above the bar though. Got the designs and tips from here and googling possibles pouch images.

The groove is made with a groover £5 to £10 ish from Leprevo depending which type you go for. The one i used had an adjustable arm.

I also used an edging tool which help make things tidier and cut the leather for the joins (main bag and side panels) at a very sharp angle - probably about 45 degrees. Did a first simple stitch of the panels and wet molded then, when it was dried, unpicked it, dyed it and stiitched properly(ish). Probably not necessary to do all that but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Couple more pics.

The back with a press stud courtesy of g4ghb.

ppback72.jpg

The side with the traditional missing stitch . . .

ppside72.jpg

The inside when being made. The yellow leather is a soft, thin off-cut from a material shop.

ppinside72.jpg

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
About that hand print, was that a single stamp or made up using a series of hammerings with different punches?

Got the hand print from a google search of hand print images, printed it off, dampenend the leather and traced it onto the leather using a pen with no ink in it. Took the paper off and just pressed in a bit more with the pen. Hence the reason it's so imprecise. Maybe one day I'll use proper tools but as I've made the things I need, run out of leather and given the tools back I doubt it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE