possibles bag/pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
wolf said:
that looks a fair size bag?do you carry that on your belt?

It's dimensions are 9 1/2"x 9"x 3". Even though it has the ability to be carried on a belt, I added a leather strap and carry it as a shoulder bag. It works well as a hunters bag, in conjunction with my back quiver as their straps rest on opposite shoulders, crossing my chest like an X.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
From what I know and have heard the "Possibles Bag" was traditionally a bag and not a pouch and was slung haversack style over the shoulder with strap across the chest and was designed to carry all the gear required to deal with any "possibilities" or most "possibilities" as in day to day contingencies or unexpected emergencies. Isn't the belt slung Possibles "Pouch" a creation of this website? Or is there historical record of Possibles "Pouches"??

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I was under the impression that a 'possibles' pouch was for the little odds and sods that make a comfortable life in the wilderness 'possible'. i.e. some matches or even a flint and steel which makes fire lighting easier, some dried meat to nibble on et cetera, et cetera... Perhaps (in those days :rolleyes: ) some kind of drug, as it was common to carry snuff or opium not that long ago.

That's what I reckon anyway - it's for little bits and pieces to make life comfortable, or to make comfort 'possible'.

Jake.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Yes Brits, coming from the land where these bags were used I can tell you that it was a shoulder bag and not a pouch. That does not mean of course that you can't carry a pouch, you'll just get less into it. :rolleyes:

Just like the crooked knife had a straight blade, but I'll post that in a seperate thread.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
OhCanada,

Thank God someone else from the colonials come to back me up on this, as I was sort of thinking maybe that I would just be treated as a smart **** eh?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Having played around with various ways of carrying kit that didn't involve a bag, I reckon that a 'possibles pouch' is something that probably would have been used by a lot of people.

If you camp with your equipment wrapped in a bedroll, rather than in a bag, then stopping to get access to stuff is difficult - this is where having a small separate bag for things you need 'on the move' is important - be it either a belt-pack or a shoulder-bag. Your bedroll of course contains al the things you need to set up camp.

Small woven or leather bags, either for the shoulder or worn on a belt or rope around the waist are prevalent in Native American culture, and it is likely that these would have been picked up by travellers moving through these countries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE