Portable charger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'd check with Paul first - he can normally come up with some recommendations for charging kit a lot less than that for similar specs.

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Cheers mateys. I saw it on a thing called mighty deals, one of those cheap for limited time only type things I think, I've got it as an app on my phone but there's probably a website of the same name kicking about, my friends bought jumpers and things off there before and said its reliable enough. It's going for about £27 down from £80 so I'm tempted. I like the design of it, seems like it might be fairly rugged too. Hmm I'm tempted but I like the look of the one you posted from eBay too, plus it's a bit cheaper, will have to have a think. The hip flask one is cheap on that site thing for another 2 days I think

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Ah nice one they look tasty too. Not sure how well the solar powered one would suit me in sunny Scotland, probably better relying on one that I can charge at home before hand I think

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
I like that, tonnes of phone charges of it. My only worry is the use of a solar charging bit, I've really had no experience of them. Are they all that useful in cloudy uk?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
at the moment there are polychrystaline less efficient , more tempremental and monocrystaline more efficient less tempremental at low light. If the panels 5w it charges a 5w phone battery in ideal conditions in one hour . I found in bad conditions it takes 2 to 3 times as long with the monocrystaline pane in the winter as light is poorer quality and and the cloud blocks the sun. I think with the polycrystaline panels you can say goodnight in bad conditions, probably the problem with the early ones !
In scotland in the summer you should have about 18 hours of usable high quality light, in the winter, thats a different story. I suppose you could try wind or hydro electric, but you could use that in the summer too !

Edit.

Yep. In poorer quality light spring autumn winter you need longer, they're at their peek around noon. A 5w charger will probably charge your phone in about 3 hours around noon in mid april, and probably twice throughout the day. In the full summer with no cloud probably three to four

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Nice one cheers for the grand explanation. Need to save some pennies before I splash out on something I don't really need but kinda fancy having

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE