Tent advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Hello chaps, I am in search of some help and advice. I'm trying to find a tent to use to go backpacking in Europe. Specifically it will be around Southern France/Northern Spain. It's not a winter expedition so I'm not too worried about getting a winter proof fortress.

I'm looking for a tent big enough for me and my father, neither of us are tiny - both just over 6 foot and broad in build, and I've been surprised at the size of so-called "2-man" tents.

I have been searching through reviews of tents, vids on youtube, manufacturers blurb about their tents and looked through various articles and forum threads on the net and here's a few things I've learnt in my quest for the right choice..

General points..
- 3 man tent is usually more like a 2 man (etc etc..) unless all you take with you is a sleeping bag and someone you like.. a lot.
- Having two vestibules and entrances can be a god send - more convenience, air flow and you don't have to vault someone when you need a **** at 2am. I really like this idea. Also having sizable vestibules can make or break an awesome or crappy tent.
- Floor plan is important, tapers and funky shapes just waste space. Straight shapes, rectangles make good use of space.
- Height is important for living space - changing clothes, chilling out and generally not feeling like you are imprisoned. Also the more vertical the walls, the larger the tent will feel creating a nicer living space.
- Weight and pack size are obviously factors - the lighter and smaller the better, durr.
- Colouration - I am a big fan of drab, boring colours that blend in well - partly for security of my things when I leave them in the tent and partly because I don't like seeing other people with bright pink tents when I'm trying to enjoy the "wild".
- A note on colouration - the colour of the tent will affect the light inside the tent - the darker, more drab the colour, the darker and more depressing the light levels will be - not too bothered about that though.
- Mesh integration - the more mesh, the more ventilation which helps take away moisture which can start to be a problem. Although too much can mean drafts and chilly nights. Adjustable vents are a big plus.
- Pole anchors come in two basic types - sleeves and clips. Sleeves create a tauter pitch but restrict airflow between the fly and tent body. Clips are easier to erect with (don't you know) and give much greater airflow thus more ventilation but often don't give a similarly taut pitch, when compared to sleeves. Poles can be aluminium (generally the best compromise cost/weight/durability), fiberglass (cheapo and not worth it) or carbon fiber (fancy and superdooper cooltastic)
- Waterproofing is obviously important.. things to look for are water proof seamed seals, the construction of the base, whether or not it has a waterproof groundsheet integrated or included.. "bath-tub" style floor that curves up around the edges seems to be a good design. Also that the fly comes down low enough to stop water coming in under the fly through the main body seems to be something to look out for.
- Tent fly material should be a high enough quality and coating to ensure it is fully waterproof without being too heavy/bulky.
- Guy out points are important for keeping the tent taut and secure, thus maintaining waterproofing and windproofing.
- Supplied stakes are usually poo, buying new ones is often a good option.. "MSR Groundhogs" seem to be popular.
- Useful extras like in-built pockets and gear lofts can turn a good tent into a great tent.
- It's a good idea to get a self standing tent that stands by virtue of the way the poles pull out and stretch the tent out (eg. geodesic designs), rather than relying on guy lines to pull the tent into shape. (eg tunnel type designs).

Well that's pretty much all I've learnt about what to consider, as you can imagine I'm pretty flummoxed.

Basically I've found out that everything is important and depending on what you are prepared to compromise on there are better and worse options for tents to go with (.. surprise surprise!! :eek:) So does anyone have any ideas or advice? I know a lot of people here use tarps and hammocks and the like but there must be some experienced tent lovers too!

I wouldn't say I have a shortlist but some of the ones that I've yet to eliminate from my maybe list are..
- Marmot Limelight 3P
- Vango Spectre 300 & Halo 300 & Typhoon 300
- MSR Mutha Hubba
- North Face Rock 3
- Coleman Phad X3
- Terra Nova Aspect 3
- Sierra Designs Zeta 3
- Kelty Gunnison 3.1

Added suggestions:
- Exped Venus 3
- Mountain Hardware Drifter 3

Come to think of it that does kind of look like a short list.. :eek:

Price is kind of a factor, I don't want to sell my kidneys for this but I am a BIG believer in the fact that you get what you pay for. I want to be able to be comfortable in a well built 3 man tent and not regret going with a smaller, inadequate waste of money.
Also, it might be good to say that weight isn't a HUGE issue as we will be splitting it in two to carry half each; nevertheless I've used a max of 4kg to strike off a few possibilities.

I would really appreciate any help you lot can offer!

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest I'd opt for a tent big enough for sleeping and take a tarp to use as a sun/rain/cooking shelter; the idea is you can live outside even if its raining and use the tent simply to go into at night to sleep.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
To be honest I'd opt for a tent big enough for sleeping and take a tarp to use as a sun/rain/cooking shelter; the idea is you can live outside even if its raining and use the tent simply to go into at night to sleep.

I'd caveat that with making sure you have somewhere big enough to stow your gear with both of you inside though.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I'd caveat that with making sure you have somewhere big enough to stow your gear with both of you inside though.

Thanks for the excellent idea Rik I hadn't thought of that. I do want some extra room inside the tent for gear though, I don't want to give people too much of an easy time to nab my stuff. I know it's a shame to think that way but it happens and better safe than sorry.

Just to throw another into the mix...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkuO7Wdhf8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pifZH4cwCt8

Exped Venus 3 - I LOVE mine :)

Damn you! ;) Edit - after watching, that looks fantastic. Another very promising possibility. Thanks.

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I have a Mountain Hardwear TwinArch, which is a 2 berth. A really good tent. You seem to want a 3 berth,so I suggest you look at the MH Drifter 3 for about UKP 160. The Kelty in your list is pretty bomb proof also.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I have a Mountain Hardwear TwinArch, which is a 2 berth. A really good tent. You seem to want a 3 berth,so I suggest you look at the MH Drifter 3 for about UKP 160. The Kelty in your list is pretty bomb proof also.

Thanks man, another solid choice. Added to my list, this is going to be very difficult.. I made this thread to try and narrow my possibilities not expand them! ;)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Another option which is bullet-proof compared to the others you've looked at is the Vango Force 10 Mk 4, or the CT version with poly flysheet which weighs less. At 8.2kg for the full cotton one, or 7.3 kg for the nylon fly, they both provide around a 4kg carry-load for two. And when you get hit with that sudden- or extended - downpour or gust of wind, your tent will be the last one standing! With a cotton inner you get no condensation - something none of the others can claim in practice. Decent size, storage at both ends, and it'll last a lifetime if looked after.................

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have spent many months walking in Southern France and Northern Spain and have always used a tarp rather than a tent. These days that tarp is a Hilleberg UL 10, no wasted space underneath, as tall as it needs to be, takes up minimal room in your pack, doesn't weigh you down and is as tough as you will need it to be.

You will need a couple of walking poles for setting it up in a campsite if you plan to do so and some form of hanging mosquito net for you face if you are there during the warmer months.

Just a thought.

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE