porches open scheme. your input needed please.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I like idea, not too sure on the practicalities but I live in the city so it's a bit different.
Is the idea that the person uses the kit i.e sleeping bag then puts it back for the next person, or is the idea to equip each person with a kit to keep?

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
This might sound daft but...a few tins of (ring-pull) dog food, I seen quite a few rough sleepers with dogs for company so a few tins of dog food would help them keep their companion or in worst case scenario, give them something to eat....if it's a good quality wet food, they don't actually taste that bad and if you've not eaten in a while then it'd be better than an empty stomach.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I haven't got any good ideas [most seem to already be suggested] but I would like to say I think It's a briliant idea. I've spent sometime sleeping in porches, bus shelters, bothies and mountain rescue huts, it's always nice to find some supplies and I always try to leave something equally useful if I take anything.

I don't know about the levels of homlessness in my area but there are definatley a few people I see around which may use something like this. I do know the local churchs take in folks who need a meal and give hot drinks & access to washing facilities etc but as far as I know no overnight shelter.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sounds like a great idea. Any shelter especially in wet weather is going to make all the difference.
When i first read your post fish I read it as "all porshce left open". This would be a much better idea with the leather seats heaters and aircon, they can afford it ;)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I agree it's a good idea. Keep us posted if it gets off the ground. Nice to know there are a people out there trying to help others in this all too hectic day and age...

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
SUCH a good idea :) I'll mention it to our local vicar/ parish council too, she has 4 churches locally... I think she'd be concerned about the security risk as the porch is great cover for getting in to the higher value metalwares inside (not the sleepers, we have quite a few traveller sites nearby and folk nick everything on the grounds the gypsys will get the blame ;))

It might not be as useful in the smaller, more affluent villages but for the bigger ones like ours, its a grand idea :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
SUCH a good idea :) I'll mention it to our local vicar/ parish council too, she has 4 churches locally... I think she'd be concerned about the security risk as the porch is great cover for getting in to the higher value metalwares inside (not the sleepers, we have quite a few traveller sites nearby and folk nick everything on the grounds the gypsys will get the blame ;))

It might not be as useful in the smaller, more affluent villages but for the bigger ones like ours, its a grand idea :)

if you get a regular sleeper you get a free security guard

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Think how inhospitable bus shelters are now, angled seats, walls leave a gap, only an L-shape etc. Porch could be nicer. You are bound to get worries that Youfs might use the porch, after all people here seem to worry that Youths might go into woods.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I am not sanguine that this will work, though it is worth trying to see if it would.

I was responsible for a British Legion Hall, a mat put in the porch vanished within six hours and I can't believe too many people want to steal a coir mat, so really attractive items will be vulnerable.

AA boxes used to contain petrol, water and food amongst other kit as well as a telephone. The culture changed and they were all stolen even though the AA key and thus access was fairly restricted.

Perhaps a tough wall mounted telephone box linked directly to the Manse to get aid might have a longer life.

Please let us know the outcome whichever way it goes.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Theft is not a modern thing. Bad winter in the 60s, icy hill, gravel shovelled under lorry's wheels with shovel kept by gravel bin. Lorry driver throws shovel into his cab and drives off with it. Wartime thefts from cargo ships' lifeboats of lifeboat supplies by dock workers. Napoleonic wars, officers giving watches to fellow officer, not just as a keepsake for the family but they knew that if wounded the watch would be the first thing looted.

Finally, the music hall song "If you want to know the time ask a policeman" was a satirical comment on the common opinion that policemen would roll drunks for their watches. Anything not nailed down has always been liable to be stolen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE