proofing nubuck boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
I've bought a pair of meindl trento gtx boots. Thsese are great -the comfort fit fits me better than anything I've tried in years.
The only problem I have is the nubuck finish. The goretex liner keeps them waterproof, but the leather soaks up water.
This is a problem as I often walk in the dark peak, which whilst stunningly beautiful has ducks that resort to goretex due to inclement weather.

I don't care what they end up looking like, I just want them to be waterproof, reasonably breathable and last a long time.
I have previously treated non goretex boots with liquid nikwax (ee, those were t'days i can hear the new world symhony in the background as some scruffy tyke gets mugged for his loaf of bread...) this was successful, but obviously products have changed.

I worry if I just wax them they'll loose their breathability.

Meindls own conditioner and proofer does little to help to make them water proof.
Any good ideas or even bettter personal experience?
thanks
Darren

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you dont care to keep the look use grangers g-wax on them to waterproof the leather.

You could go over the boots with a wire brush after letting it dry in to bring the nap up a bit, bit it'll darken them a good bit. I use it on lowa dessies and the leather is still in very good shape.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE