pop up tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all on the forum just paid for full membership sorry it couldnt be more cant work nowadays so low cash flow anyway back to subject are these hi gear/gelert pop uptents anygood need to get a cheap tent for emergencies something simple to put up please give me the benefit of your knowledge
regards dave:confused::lmao::):You_Rock_

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
'Search' is your friend...

That apart, a friend of mine has, and uses a '2 Second Tent' and he's very happy with it.

I've seen other good reports on 'em but have no personal experience, other than showing someone how to fold one at a Blacks store!

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
We use a camouflage one now in the British army, do not think it is Hi gear cause we don't have any marking on them, they are certainly quick to put up and down ( the main reason we have them). They are single skinned with a mossi net at one end, you can sometimes get a little condensation on the inside but thats because its a single skin tent, they are sturdy and have a fair bit of room inside for your kit. I do know a couple of people who have bought their own ones and some have done some conversions to them to make them even more comfortable or with added features.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
My brother in law has a Gelert pop up tent he uses as a beach shelter. I've spent quite a bit of time in it and I'd certainly sleep in it without a worry. It's a doddle to put up of course but it's pretty tough and light too. It's just the bulk of the things that puts me off getting one but for car camping that wouldn't be a problem.

hi all on the forum just paid for full membership sorry it couldnt be more cant work nowadays so low cash flow anyway back to subject are these hi gear/gelert pop uptents anygood need to get a cheap tent for emergencies something simple to put up please give me the benefit of your knowledge
regards dave:confused::lmao::):You_Rock_

I have a cheap nasty one from netto which to be fair has done a good job. I reviewed it on here a while ago.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31523
I find having no porch a bit of a pain, but found it easy to make one with a bit of ripstop and some ally poles. If I bought another I would look at the twin skin ones. Mine is used as a play/storage tent when out in the camper van.
The beauty of them is the speed of putting them up as mentioned.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
thanks guys for the review and info think ill get me a como one its only for emergency i will be tarp and hammocking anyway
regards dave

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had to retire our 18 year old Kyham Igloo last year after a nasty storm in the Alps. We went for one of the Decathlon Quechua 2 second jobbies to get us through the rest of the holiday and to be fair it's not been a bad tent. The packed shape of them makes them awkward to take anywhere apart from car camping though.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I use Kyham as my tent of choice as they do go up real quick and down (best being the biker for the porch). Only problem is you must make sure they don't nip the tent when packing away and can be a pain to get back in the bag when wet. I'd avoid any single skin tent as if anything touches them from the inside you get wet I've found.
The usual feed through are more than adequate ()you save about 5 minutes putting them up and they cost a quarter of the price.
One of the better pop-ups I had was from Lidls where you pull a cord and it snaps up, then you put the outer tent on. Not brill in the wind though like a Kyham is.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
We have 2 three man ones from Decathlon. Good for car camping as others have already said.

Watch where the prevailing wind comes from as they are not so sturdy in heavy wind.
If you use a tarp over the front, it gives you loads of extra space.

Last edited:

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I had to retire our 18 year old Kyham Igloo last year after a nasty storm in the Alps. We went for one of the Decathlon Quechua 2 second jobbies to get us through the rest of the holiday and to be fair it's not been a bad tent. The packed shape of them makes them awkward to take anywhere apart from car camping though.

You mean you dont enjoy looking like a teenage mutant ninja turtle!!

We have a couple for quick weekends away for car camping one from Millets the other Decathlon I would say the Decathlon one is far better made. JMHO.

Andy

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi rich where in s/wales are you?and what is b&m you lost me .are you going to the moot in wales?
regards dave

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Pop up tent bushcraft Well thats a No then
for heavens sake

Yeah, yeah. Sometimes you don't want to be out with your tarp/hammock/bracken. I've got a Decathlon 2 Second tent because SWMBO didn't fancy sleeping under a tarp, and for festivals, etc. The Decathlon ones are double skinned, come in a range of sizes and are cheap and cheerful. Treat it well and it'll last. I reckon they're far better than the price would suggest.

PS, If you want 20-30 of them free just volunteer for clean up at a music festival, you can walk off with as many as you can carry.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i was toying with buying one for my solo camping but when i saw the pack size it was totally impractical in short of having a huge disc on my back i ended up with the vango banshee which is sweet and under 2kg and fits in my 45L pack

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Yeah, they're not much good if you're walking in a distance, although the current Decathlons have a smaller packsize. But for canoeing, or car camping they're great. I've used mine with a cycle trailer too, and have a mate who used his for three months motorbike camping in Russia. He looked like an AWACS though.

NATO%20E-3%20AWACS.jpg

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
We use a camouflage one now in the British army, do not think it is Hi gear cause we don't have any marking on them, they are certainly quick to put up and down ( the main reason we have them). They are single skinned with a mossi net at one end, you can sometimes get a little condensation on the inside but thats because its a single skin tent, they are sturdy and have a fair bit of room inside for your kit. I do know a couple of people who have bought their own ones and some have done some conversions to them to make them even more comfortable or with added features.

Agree with the condensation issue - had a very wet night in early September from the frequent drips! Also putting them away feels very unnatural - needs twisting and folding, really feels like it is going to break!

Any pics or links to this army one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE